Has anyone successfully managed to switch to a higher weight maintenance?

Options

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in an eating disorder because I'm all over the place I will get to 190lbs then drop back down to 175 in a week. My issue is I'm addicted to this damm stepper challenges where my groups are averaging 20,000 plus steps a day and I have to win. I just need to eat more calories. Two years 178-190 but ya no where near a 5lbs medium I would like to be at..
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's all about establishing maintenance calories, during your weightloss I'm willing to bet you went from eating a bunch to an extreme deficit to lose the weight.

A lot of people make this mistake, for some reason we're programmed to believe that eating less means losing weight faster, and it can but in the long run it hurts you because now you're stuck with ridiculously low maintenance calories.

Increase your calories by 3-500 workout a little harder and see what happens after 4-6 weeks, don't weigh yourself daily, do it once a week and don't add 3-500 calories of junk add more veggies and healthy foods... this will help your body "reset" so that you can maintain your desired weight give or take a few pounds while having a more satisfying diet, and if you ever want to drop any smaller then it allows you to go on a smaller caloric deficit

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »
    It's all about establishing maintenance calories, during your weightloss I'm willing to bet you went from eating a bunch to an extreme deficit to lose the weight.

A lot of people make this mistake, for some reason we're programmed to believe that eating less means losing weight faster, and it can but in the long run it hurts you because now you're stuck with ridiculously low maintenance calories.

Increase your calories by 3-500 workout a little harder and see what happens after 4-6 weeks, don't weigh yourself daily, do it once a week and don't add 3-500 calories of junk add more veggies and healthy foods... this will help your body "reset" so that you can maintain your desired weight give or take a few pounds while having a more satisfying diet, and if you ever want to drop any smaller then it allows you to go on a smaller caloric deficit

I didn't really. I went from 213 to 140 in 11 months, then it took me 6 months to lose 8 more (and I've gained 3 back since). I stopped losing altogether when I increased my exercise intensity (I also increased my calories by 200 then, but it shouldn't have been enough to make me maintain instead of losing. Oh well).

I haven't weighed myself in 3 months or something, lol. I go by how my clothes fit, and as far as I can tell, they still fit the same, but yeah... I'm eating more.

leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think I'm starting to realize that it might just not possible for me to maintain 135 pounds. I'm just too hungry and miserable because the only way to maintain is to really deprive myself...

Has anyone been in the same situation, gained back a few pounds, then managed to maintain that weight successfully? I'm hoping that maybe my hunger will calm down if I gain a couple pounds back? My main worry obviously is that I'll end up gaining the weight back because the hunger won't go away (I've been around 133-135 for 2.5 years now). I'm 5'5" so it's hardly too little.

Man, I knew it would be hard, but I didn't except to be so miserable and worried all the time. I've hardly had any days when I'm not hungry in the last couple months (my cycles have been 3 weeks instead of 4, which totally sucks). I still hit my protein, fat, and fiber goals most days, but it seems that as soon as I eat a treat, even if it's just a 200 calorie one, I end up too hungry and end up going over by 200 at the end of the day.

I know that hunger isn't necessarily bad, but I get dizzy and just feel awful most of the time when I am (except that one week a month when it doesn't bother me, but that hasn't happened in 2 months now).

I don't believe my goal is too low but who knows? I've calculated my TDEE at 2200, but I don't seem to lose if I go under 2000, or to gain if eat 2300 for a week, so it's just confusing to me. I do 1.5 hour of cycling/uphill walking every day in average, some lifting 2x a week or less, with a rest day every 10 days or so, and other than that it's normal household work, cooking, groceries etc. I've been eating closer to 235-2400 calories a day for 2 weeks now (but I'm PMSing too, so there's that).

You'd think I would stress out less about it after this time.. but nope.

You've maintained at that calorie level for 2.5 years. However, it's only been hard a couple of months? Could it be some hormonal changes causing this? You also mentioned a change in your menses? Have you seen your doctor?

It's been a hard two years, lol! I remember that last year at this time was hard too. I guess PMS and Holidays are always making it hard (and I went to a wedding last year at that time too). But yes, I usually had a good week when I wasn't very hungry, now it's 2/3 days a month if I'm lucky.

My doctor appointment is in 2 weeks though... but I know she never sweats it as I'm her only patient who has actually stayed in the normal BMI range for over 2 years after losing close to 80 lbs...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    Is gaining a little weight going to make a massive difference to your appearance in the mirror? That might be another thing you might want to think about which could help you not to focus on the scale number.

Good point! I still wear the same size jeans as i did 5-6lbs ago, they are a bit more snug, but not stupid tight. I don't walk around looking like Herman Munster or anything :lol:

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Check out the EM2WL group - Eat More 2 Weigh Less. There's heaps of information about what you're experiencing. You're exercising too much for the number of calories you're consuming. There's a TDEE calculator at the top of the EM2WL group page, that I'd recommend you punch your details in and see if they are higher. And check the definitions for activity levels - I think you're very active. You're probably eating below or around BMR rather than TDEE...
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    When I was nursing my daughter I dropped weight like I never have. She refused solids for her first year and gained over 15 pounds from her birthweight, and it was hard for my body to keep up with her.

I'm 5'10' and prior to having her I'd been about 180, but a very active and fit 180.

While nursing her, I noticed that every time my weight dropped below 175, it was like this switch flipped in my brain. I was *crazy* starving and would find myself in front of the fridge eating cheese and eggs and meat. As long as I was above 175 - even a pound? That didn't happen.

I'd try reverse-dieting to a slightly higher weight and see if you feel better. It might literally only take a pound or two to flip *your* switch
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    I love this quote. Focus on creating a healthy life you can enjoy and let your weight settles where it may. Make sure you live happy, if you aren't you won't be able to maintain it long term.

Dr Yoni Freedhoff

I loved this quote so much that I put it in my bullet journal to remind myself every day.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be a lot happier if you put a few pounds back on. I dropped my weight a bit too low and felt absolutely horrible. After I gained 4lbs back I felt like a different person. I'm shorter than you are, so yeah....I did see that 4lbs a bit, but I still looked fine. It wasn't enough to have me busting out of my pants (they still fit me) and the change in my outlook was worth it. What's the point if it's such a struggle to maintain and is making you feel so bad? This isn't just about the scale number or size of our pants. It's bout being healthy. Physically and mentally!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I think you'll be a lot happier if you put a few pounds back on. I dropped my weight a bit too low and felt absolutely horrible. After I gained 4lbs back I felt like a different person. I'm shorter than you are, so yeah....I did see that 4lbs a bit, but I still looked fine. It wasn't enough to have me busting out of my pants (they still fit me) and the change in my outlook was worth it. What's the point if it's such a struggle to maintain and is making you feel so bad? This isn't just about the scale number or size of our pants. It's bout being healthy. Physically and mentally!

Yeah I agree.

And you know, I just don't get it. Yesterday I had a 600 calorie deficit and I'm not even kidding, more than 60% of my calories were from some bits of brownie and chocolate chip cookie bars (I've been baking for a bake sale for the school, so I had to sample the stuff, and obviously someone had to lick the spoons, you know). I had a ham, cheese and egg low carb tortilla for breakfast (255 calories), some Amy lean mac'n cheese for lunch (290 calories and it's tiny!), and 2 cups of chicken noodle soup for dinner (180 calories). And I wasn't hungry at all. And TOM is still due soon. And I did 15 miles on my stationary bike and was on my feet most of the day.

My body needs to make up its mind. I'm still not hungry today either and it's 9am!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    cnbbnc wrote: »

Yeah I agree.

And you know, I just don't get it. Yesterday I had a 600 calorie deficit and I'm not even kidding, more than 60% of my calories were from some bits of brownie and chocolate chip cookie bars (I've been baking for a bake sale for the school, so I had to sample the stuff, and obviously someone had to lick the spoons, you know). I had a ham, cheese and egg low carb tortilla for breakfast (255 calories), some Amy lean mac'n cheese for lunch (290 calories and it's tiny!), and 2 cups of chicken noodle soup for dinner (180 calories). And I wasn't hungry at all. And TOM is still due soon. And I did 15 miles on my stationary bike and was on my feet most of the day.

My body needs to make up its mind. I'm still not hungry today either and it's 9am!

@Francl27 maybe you had a high calorie day the previous day? I find if I eat high one day, I'm not hungry the next so eat at a higher deficit easily/naturally.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    YES! When I started off 4-5 years ago I wanted to maintain a 100-105 lb. figure. In the past year and a half I discovered heavy lifting and now I'm currently bulking and wish to maintain a 115-120 lb. figure but I try to not actually look at the scale that much (I honestly couldn't even tell you how much I weigh right now, haven't stepped on the scale since September) and if I end up at 125 lbs. or so I'd be okay with it! Goals change and that's okay. You want to make fitness and health a lifestyle, which means being happy and feeling good. If you don't feel good at 135 lbs. and think a slight increase would be more attainable for maintenance then that's what you gotta do!