Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    fitterpam wrote: »
    LOL I hate it when people drop their weights while on machines.....like the whole place vibrates......It just jolts me.

There's a cable machine at our gym that's on its last legs, I'm not sure why they haven't replaced it yet, but the weights sometimes get stuck at the top. Then you release the tension on the cable and a second later they slam back down. It's jolting for everyone, but when you're standing right next to it it's SO LOUD. It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. My gym annoyance: that that machine is still in the building, and that no one's covered it in gigantic OUT OF ORDER signs.

We have on thats getting hung up too. I don't walk away until I get it back down. Usually caused from someone letting go of the cable before it's at the bottom.

You are a good person.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Annoyances at the gym! Well, they aren't annoyances to me but....Guys who wear manbuns, yoga pants and toe shoes at the same time make me giggle. Kinda hard to not laugh in the middle of my set. Guys that are puffer fish, peacocks or guys with imaginary lat syndrome make me laugh too. Sometimes they hear me and make their way to the movie room/safe space to gather their emotions after being offended by my giggle. People who whine about weights being dropped are annoying, these are the same people that text or instagram while occupying a machine. Women that wear a lot of makeup all dressed up but don't really workout to break a sweat and take selfies while occupying a machine. We have two gyms owned by the same company, one is more of a social club type atmosphere, the other is a hardcore noisy gym for serious lifters.

Men wear toe shoes at your gym?

l0m01cind8wu.jpg

newmeadow wrote: »
    Annoyances at the gym! Well, they aren't annoyances to me but....Guys who wear manbuns, yoga pants and toe shoes at the same time make me giggle. Kinda hard to not laugh in the middle of my set. Guys that are puffer fish, peacocks or guys with imaginary lat syndrome make me laugh too. Sometimes they hear me and make their way to the movie room/safe space to gather their emotions after being offended by my giggle. People who whine about weights being dropped are annoying, these are the same people that text or instagram while occupying a machine. Women that wear a lot of makeup all dressed up but don't really workout to break a sweat and take selfies while occupying a machine. We have two gyms owned by the same company, one is more of a social club type atmosphere, the other is a hardcore noisy gym for serious lifters.

Men wear toe shoes at your gym?

l0m01cind8wu.jpg

Every blue moon you'll have a guy come in wear those rubber shoes that look like toe socks,lol. They don't last long though.

Oh, you mean like the Vibram Five Finger shoes. Are people still wearing those?

I wear them.

I have one pair that are too big that I wear to lift - next best thing to lifting barefoot which I'd prefer, but for obvious reasons is not allowed in the gym. And, I have a pair that fit that I wear to run short to middle distances.

I had no idea anyone found them annoying. :tongue:

What annoys me is more common - not racking weights, leaving said weights too high for the shorties like me to reach them without climbing the power cage like it's a jungle gym. Trying to strike up a conversation while I'm in the middle of a lift. That sort of thing.

I certainly don't care if people wear them lol, I just haven't seen them for a few years so I was surprised to hear that they are actually still being worn. Most people who want the minimalist shoes buy the standard toe box, minimalist shoes, but that trend in running looks like it's in decline.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    fitterpam wrote: »
    LOL I hate it when people drop their weights while on machines.....like the whole place vibrates......It just jolts me.

There's a cable machine at our gym that's on its last legs, I'm not sure why they haven't replaced it yet, but the weights sometimes get stuck at the top. Then you release the tension on the cable and a second later they slam back down. It's jolting for everyone, but when you're standing right next to it it's SO LOUD. It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. My gym annoyance: that that machine is still in the building, and that no one's covered it in gigantic OUT OF ORDER signs.

We have one thats getting hung up too. I don't walk away until I get it back down. Usually caused from someone letting go of the cable before it's at the bottom.

You are a good person.

Okay...
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not the gym exactly, but the change rooms: When it's practically empty but the one other person in there with you puts their stuff right next to the locker you're using. I need my space, especially when I'm nekkid.

Yes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Ok. People don't make fun of fat people. They are generally accepted as equals. Gotcha.

Skinny shaming is the real problem.

Oh, so sarcasm wins debates for you does it? I've faced real issues growing up half-native in a predominantly white area and the occasional issues I faced when I was obese didn't even come close to that. Nobody should ever feel made inferior for what they look like, but at least when I was obese I could lose weight, I can't change my DNA. So don't get me started on what's worse.

None of it is good. Making fun of people who go to "sissy" health clubs isn't good either.

PF isn't a sissy club and I don't think I've heard anyone actually claim that here. It doesn't meet my needs but that doesn't mean others don't find it useful and I know of some pro bodybuilders that have worked out at a PF now and then and find it adequate in a pinch for them.

I don't agree with some people's premise that everyone there is not serious about fitness, though.

I'm not really sure anyone has voiced that premise either, but PF's success depends on collecting two large groups of people as members: resolutioners who pay into long-term memberships but don't use the gym after one or two sessions, and casual exercisers who never progress past needing cardio equipment and basic weights. Are there people serious about fitness there? Yes, but it's not the majority of their members. Something like half of the people with PF contracts never go to the gym at all. If you can meet your goals and enjoy the environment at PF while paying their super-low membership fees (subsidized by all the no-shows), awesome for you. But that doesn't make their business practices that involve shaming and ridiculing less objectionable, IMO, which is what most of us who dislike PF take issue with.

Connor Murphy found the idea of PF objectionable, but not his actual experience at one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0s_VIg2xc
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they don't disinfect the barbels or gym mats and I find that disgusting. My friend got staph and we just figured it was from a mat in a group fitness class.

How often do you think the hand rails on public transportation, escalators, etc get disinfected? How about the buttons on an ATM, credit card machine, elevator, etc?

If you're worried about germs, you have to take care of it yourself, like another poster mentioned, by using good personal hygiene.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    lol! yep all of these! but here are mine:

-people who wait ON the machines - OH MY God - I hate this, especially last week, I limit myself to 30 minutes per cardio machine to be courteous to others and there is always that one ahole who will STARE at me and look at how many minutes I have left. Since I am older, this doesn't intimidate me, I stare right back.

-people who use weight machines like chairs and sit on them while texting, looking at Facebook, etc. OR use the cardio machine standing there and reading while others are waiting to get on

-people who do not wipe off the weight machines, *especially* during cold/flu season: yep gross

- the meat heads who groan and grunt really, really loud while lifting weights that are most likely too heavy for them

- my job is pretty popular and has grown in membership over the past 8 years so the exercise room is ALWAYS packed, there is always that one narcissist who takes up most of the floor exercise space with all of her equipment, gym bag, huge bottle of water, yoga blocks etc so that the rest of us have to squeeze together on the floor. GRRRR
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ok. People don't make fun of fat people. They are generally accepted as equals. Gotcha.

Oh, so sarcasm wins debates for you does it? I've faced real issues growing up half-native in a predominantly white area and the occasional issues I faced when I was obese didn't even come close to that. Nobody should ever feel made inferior for what they look like, but at least when I was obese I could lose weight, I can't change my DNA. So don't get me started on what's worse.

None of it is good. Making fun of people who go to "sissy" health clubs isn't good either.

PF isn't a sissy club and I don't think I've heard anyone actually claim that here. It doesn't meet my needs but that doesn't mean others don't find it useful and I know of some pro bodybuilders that have worked out at a PF now and then and find it adequate in a pinch for them.

I don't agree with some people's premise that everyone there is not serious about fitness, though.

If you mean me, that's not what I said.

I said the marketing encourages people to believe that those serious about fitness -- or who approach it a particular way that actually could be beneficial and interesting to overweight and out of shape people if they aren't told to fear it -- are scary and mean.

I also said I understand why people would join despite the marketing and that if it were the only place I could reasonably afford or the only one convenient to me (as convenience is a big thing to me with health clubs) I'd consider joining, especially if the type of equipment they have was mainly what I wanted.

Doesn't make their marketing okay, IMO, and I think I'd be more concerned with criticizing it if I were otherwise supporting them. I certainly would not echo the "no judgment zone" (false) or "lunk" stuff.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When that shmuck dmitry klolov steps foot in the gym and steals all the 20kg plates, loads them onto his bar, snatches super heavy and screams like an angry bear :D !

Jk I'd never mess with the klokster, ever

My main pet peeves are A) people that don't strip their bars and you don't ever know if they are going to come back or not. And B ) this one instagram "bootie queen" at my gym who stands right behind the squat rack and uses a fixed bar and dumbbells for all her exercises. Like yo lady! Why you gotta block my access to the squat rack if you aren't going to even use it?? Pfft Oh also, being 4'10"ish I hate when the equipment and spray bottle are so high that I have to jump or stand on my tip toes to reach them. The world is not meant for my munchkin breed!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If you mean me, that's not what I said.

I said the marketing encourages people to believe that those serious about fitness -- or who approach it a particular way that actually could be beneficial and interesting to overweight and out of shape people if they aren't told to fear it -- are scary and mean.

I also said I understand why people would join despite the marketing and that if it were the only place I could reasonably afford or the only one convenient to me (as convenience is a big thing to me with health clubs) I'd consider joining, especially if the type of equipment they have was mainly what I wanted.

Doesn't make their marketing okay, IMO, and I think I'd be more concerned with criticizing it if I were otherwise supporting them. I certainly would not echo the "no judgment zone" (false) or "lunk" stuff.

I think she might mean me.

And I don't mean that they're not serious about fitness. I just think you can only progress so far at a Planet Fitness. And I say that as someone who isn't past the level of being able to train with the free weights a PF provides due to constantly having to deload thanks to health issues and start back over. I'll get there some day.

I also think, like you, that the marketing encourages people to believe that those serious about fitness are the bogeyman and that encourages the attitude that such pursuits are not desirable.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    When that shmuck dmitry klolov steps foot in the gym and steals all the 20kg plates, loads them onto his bar, snatches super heavy and screams like an angry bear :D !

My main pet peeves are A) people that don't strip their bars and you don't ever know if they are going to come back or not. And B) this one instagram "boogie queen" at my gym who stands right behind the squat rack and uses the fixed bar and dumbbell for all her exercises. Like yo lady! Why you gotta block my access to the squat rack if you aren't going to even use it?? Pfft Oh also, being 4'10"ish I hate when the equipment and spray bottle are so high that I have to jump or stand on my tip toes to reach them. The world is not meant for my munchkin breed!!

Oh, please he only snatches like 425lb that's like warm up weight. ;) Does he actually workout at your gym btw? That would be amazing to watch a world champion Oly Lifter do his thing.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I'm not really sure anyone has voiced that premise either, but PF's success depends on collecting two large groups of people as members: resolutioners who pay into long-term memberships but don't use the gym after one or two sessions, and casual exercisers who never progress past needing cardio equipment and basic weights. Are there people serious about fitness there? Yes, but it's not the majority of their members. Something like half of the people with PF contracts never go to the gym at all. If you can meet your goals and enjoy the environment at PF while paying their super-low membership fees (subsidized by all the no-shows), awesome for you. But that doesn't make their business practices that involve shaming and ridiculing less objectionable, IMO, which is what most of us who dislike PF take issue with.

Well to be fair, the first group is the main income source of any gym.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In cause I were Five Fingers... :Flip off:
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

My main pet peeves are A) people that don't strip their bars and you don't ever know if they are going to come back or not. And B) this one instagram "boogie queen" at my gym who stands right behind the squat rack and uses the fixed bar and dumbbell for all her exercises. Like yo lady! Why you gotta block my access to the squat rack if you aren't going to even use it?? Pfft Oh also, being 4'10"ish I hate when the equipment and spray bottle are so high that I have to jump or stand on my tip toes to reach them. The world is not meant for my munchkin breed!!

Oh, please he only snatches like 425lb that's like warm up weight. ;) Does he actually workout at your gym btw? That would be amazing to watch a world champion Oly Lifter do his thing.

I think he works out at an oly lifting specific gym. But he mostly trains in Russia do not gonna run into him anytime soon. One of the gyms I frequent at has powerlifters and oly lifters as frequent clientele so it's always fun to see some really technically stunning snatches when you are resting between sets!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Back in the day belonged to a small gym owned by a guy that had won bronze medal in oly lifting.

It was about 10 years after the games he won bronze but amazing to see how strong the man was.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited December 2016
    Options

I think he works out at an oly lifting specific gym. But he mostly trains in Russia do not gonna run into him anytime soon. One of the gyms I frequent at has powerlifters and oly lifters as frequent clientele so it's always fun to see some really technically stunning snatches when you are resting between sets!

Ahh, too bad I would love to hear what his training looks like. I'm sure 6-8 hours a day like most in the east seem to do.

I used to be in an Oly lifting club but was ramping up for my first comp and ended up screwing up my shoulder when I was late for a training session one day and started snatching too heavy without warming up. Messed up the dislocate and my delt was toast. :(
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Well to be fair, the first group is the main income source of any gym.

Of big box gyms, yeah, of course. I think 24 Hour and LA Fitness have drop-off rates of about 30%, which is still high, but since they charge a little more it's not quite as disposable as PF's $10/month. If you're paying $100/month for a specialty gym, you're probably using it.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I have a few..
    1. The guy that pulls a set of dumbbells off of the rack and then stands right in front of it while he does a set, blocking access for anyone else needing weights.
    2. The people that work out in straight street clothes. I used to belong to a gym where this guy would lift in jeans and cowboy boots, like he thought he was Chuck Norris.
    3. The ppl who bring an oversized water bottle to the water fountain and then take 10 minutes filling that thing up while a line stacks up behind them. Fill that shite up at home son, or move aside so a guy can get a quick drink.
    4. The dude that shouts "Hey, I'm using that!" from across the gym, while he's using several other pieces of equipment.
    5. The stinky folk. I used to share the gym with an old man who would wear one of those plastic suits designed to help you cut weight, and he would work out in it every time and I'm pretty sure just throw it back in his gym bag until next time. You could smell that guy from across the gym.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Back in the day belonged to a small gym owned by a guy that had won bronze medal in oly lifting.

It was about 10 years after the games he won bronze but amazing to see how strong the man was.

There was a Common Wealth Games bronze medalist at one of the gyms I was at and he used to give advice to the young guys who would just look at this old, heavy set guy and think, "sure, whatever you say". Then they would watch him toss serious weight above his head and they would be in total shock. It was always priceless.
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Gym staff pestering you in the middle of a workout to "bring a friend" so they can try to sell more memberships. ~Leave me the hell alone, I'm a mom and have limited ME time!
    I invested in equipment and work out at home on my days off and use my workplace gym during my lunch breaks.
This discussion has been closed.