Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• superstargalaxy
    superstargalaxy Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When people don't put the weights back. Jesus christ, thinking about it makes me see red.
  • Frenchgrad
    Frenchgrad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't have an annoyance to share, but I do wanna ask a question. To those that said they don't like people trying to talk to them when they have headphones on, what if someone is trying to ask you if they can work in while you're resting between sets? I totally understand the "jarred out of my zone/headphones mean don't talk to me" mindset, but what other way is there to ask to use some equipment?

On Wednesday, I was trying to use the seated row machine, but another woman was setting herself up on it. I saw that she had headphones on, and I felt bad interrupting her, but I did ask her if we could switch off for our sets. She seemed OK with it and we both got our workouts in, but reading these comments makes me wonder what she was thinking.

Thoughts?
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Frenchgrad wrote: »
    I don't have an annoyance to share, but I do wanna ask a question. To those that said they don't like people trying to talk to them when they have headphones on, what if someone is trying to ask you if they can work in while you're resting between sets? I totally understand the "jarred out of my zone/headphones mean don't talk to me" mindset, but what other way is there to ask to use some equipment?

On Wednesday, I was trying to use the seated row machine, but another woman was setting herself up on it. I saw that she had headphones on, and I felt bad interrupting her, but I did ask her if we could switch off for our sets. She seemed OK with it and we both got our workouts in, but reading these comments makes me wonder what she was thinking.

Thoughts?

I'd be startled but not annoyed. I don't wear them as a "back off" message personally, I wear them because their music is generally repetitive and there's always white noise of people trying to talk over it and machines...it's too much like having my kids around. :) I am very much zoned out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Ok. People don't make fun of fat people. They are generally accepted as equals. Gotcha.

Skinny shaming is the real problem.

Oh, so sarcasm wins debates for you does it? I've faced real issues growing up half-native in a predominantly white area and the occasional issues I faced when I was obese didn't even come close to that. Nobody should ever feel made inferior for what they look like, but at least when I was obese I could lose weight, I can't change my DNA. So don't get me started on what's worse.

None of it is good. Making fun of people who go to "sissy" health clubs isn't good either.

PF isn't a sissy club and I don't think I've heard anyone actually claim that here. It doesn't meet my needs but that doesn't mean others don't find it useful and I know of some pro bodybuilders that have worked out at a PF now and then and find it adequate in a pinch for them.

I don't agree with some people's premise that everyone there is not serious about fitness, though.

I'm not really sure anyone has voiced that premise either, but PF's success depends on collecting two large groups of people as members: resolutioners who pay into long-term memberships but don't use the gym after one or two sessions, and casual exercisers who never progress past needing cardio equipment and basic weights. Are there people serious about fitness there? Yes, but it's not the majority of their members. Something like half of the people with PF contracts never go to the gym at all. If you can meet your goals and enjoy the environment at PF while paying their super-low membership fees (subsidized by all the no-shows), awesome for you. But that doesn't make their business practices that involve shaming and ridiculing less objectionable, IMO, which is what most of us who dislike PF take issue with.

Connor Murphy found the idea of PF objectionable, but not his actual experience at one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0s_VIg2xc

Is this video a PF review or a look at me and my muscles video?? :huh:

Yes.
  • richfire785
    richfire785 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not putting things back! Or really loud grunting!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'd say there would be plenty of "annoyed" young bucks at muscle beach when this 84 year old guy outlifts them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyM6Wyg0xPg
    Hahahaha...... good 'ole chap'.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Frenchgrad wrote: »

Thoughts?

This would be fine, IMO. I wear my headphones when I don't want someone starting up a random conversation with me or hitting on me. If someone politely gets my attention and asks to work in, that's not a problem at all.

But please leave me alone after that! :lol:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think some people should invest in these :+1:

m1ww1fqm0p77.jpg

d9q5ywmyj9lw.jpg

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »

Oh, you mean like the Vibram Five Finger shoes. Are people still wearing those?

Yeah, theres a few that come in wearing them,lol. Those shoes to me serve no purpose.

Actually people who like to deadlift or squat barefoot will wear those since most gym dont allow bare feet.

There is a purpose. [/quote]

Or you could get wrestling shoes or minimalist running shoes that aren't model after Al Bundy (that's actually true btw).
    [/quote]
    That's what I use, my feet are too wide for chucks or the like. I've gone barefoot too, but it's too painful lately.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    People who wear lots of perfume/cologne in the gym -- especially nearby while I'm on the treadmill when I can't exactly escape the fumes.

I can handle the perfumes and farts. I HATE the smoker smell. Need to change my routine when a stinky smoker is near me.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    terrand777 wrote: »
    When people run hard and loud on the treadmill...

Oh god, there was a guy like that right next to me at the gym tonight. Even worse was that he kept up a running commentary about how awesome and fast he was. I just wanted him to shut it.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    When there are a whole row of stationary bikes to use and someone takes a bike directly next to me.
  • AmaanR10
    AmaanR10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The most annoying moment is when i want to do cardio and all the machines are equipped and i have to wait for a long time.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Hate being hit on. Or when someone asks to feel my biceps. Or takes selfies with my abs, wants me to break pencils with my pecs or asks to bounce quarters off my glutes. Or when people interrupt my set to tell me how good looking I am. Or when people humble brag on the treadmill right next to me. Any of those are JUST THE WORST.

Blimey, I think you win
    These are truly annoying
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Sweaty gross people who don't wipe off their machines. You suck!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    People who wear lots of perfume/cologne in the gym -- especially nearby while I'm on the treadmill when I can't exactly escape the fumes.

I can handle the perfumes and farts. I HATE the smoker smell. Need to change my routine when a stinky smoker is near me.

WORD. I used to smoke and I am your stereotypical reformed smoker and can't stand anything about it now.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    People who leave their weights on the squat rack.

Also when they are doing something else, but don't want to let you share the machine they're taking a break from.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    why start a thread to complain? really there has to be something more positive to talk about. jmo
This discussion has been closed.