"Do Carbs make me fat"

Options
I would like to hear everyone's opinion about this topic "Do Carbs make me fat". It be interesting to see what people are thinking on the subject.

Replies

• BarryBrownFitness
    BarryBrownFitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @malibu927 @CorneliusPhoton I agree 100%. I would love to find out we're it came from "Carbs make you fat"
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Anything in excess can make you fat. Carbs are delicious and keep the people around me alive. Calorie deficit with carbs, FTW!
  • BarryBrownFitness
    Options
    @nutmegoreo Yes carbs FTW!!
  • BarryBrownFitness
    Options
    @malibu927 @CorneliusPhoton I agree 100%. I would love to find out we're it came from "Carbs make you fat"

It sells diet books.

Unfortunately it does... Suppose people have to make a living somehow.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Carbs make me happy
  • BarryBrownFitness
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I would suspect that there was a study done this one time that the media blew out of context and extended beyond its intended scope. Or someone wanted to sell a book. In the 80s and 90s the saying was "the fat you eat is the fat you wear." Carbs are the new scapegoat. Certain medical conditions require monitoring of carbs, just like other conditions require limitation of fibre, or fat, or protein.

Yeah they are making Carbs the new scape coat. I looked a study that said Asian cultures that have a high intake of carbs and show lower rates of obesity compared to other cultures.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you are insulin resistant carbs make you fat. Look up Gary Taubes.
  • BarryBrownFitness
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Carbs make me happy

Haha yes we all love the carbs..... ALL THE CARBS!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Carbs are absolutely vital for health. Cutting carbs out completely is very unhealthy. As with everything else, it's a balance.

Saying that, cutting down carbs often makes sense. Carbs (especially simple carbs) offer quick energy but then a crash. Which makes one want to eat more carbs. And so on.
  • BarryBrownFitness
    Options
    asgentr wrote: »
    If you are insulin resistant carbs make you fat. Look up Gary Taubes.

That's a condition tho right? But some people who think carbs are making them fat but they could be insulin restaurant and they probably don't no.
  • BarryBrownFitness
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Carbs are absolutely vital for health. Cutting carbs out completely is very unhealthy. As with everything else, it's a balance.

Saying that, cutting down carbs often makes sense. Carbs (especially simple carbs) offer quick energy but then a crash. Which makes one want to eat more carbs. And so on.
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    They make me fat because I cannot eat them like a sane person.

I agree you need them in your diet. There are no difference in fat loss when it's comes to lower - higher carb diets under protein and calorie marched conditions.

And yes we all can agree that they make us fat because we can't control our selves when there is a large pizza sitting in front of us haha
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I'm a fan of carbs, hugely so, but you can actually live without them.

Also? The term I think you might be after is refined carbs. Simple carbs include things like apples. Complex carbs include things like dreaded white bread.

Saying that, a little of that dreaded white bread or some candy don't make everyone want to eat more carbs and oftentimes are just the thing needed in certain situations. Additionally, in the context of an overall balanced diet, they're fine in moderation, unless they cause problems for you on an individual level.

To address another poster, Gary Taubes' theories aren't really panning out. Additionally, there used to be a poster around these parts who had IR and she lost weight just fine eating plenty of carbs, simply by cutting calories. Plenty of diabetics simply manage carbohydrates rather than completely eliminate them or drastically lower them.

IR simply means that the body isn't responding to insulin properly, causing elevated blood glucose. In the absence of a caloric surplus, this situation won't cause additional fat to be permanently stored.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

bbell1985 wrote: »
    They make me fat because I cannot eat them like a sane person.

I agree you need them in your diet. There are no difference in fat loss when it's comes to lower - higher carb diets under protein and calorie marched conditions.

And yes we all can agree that they make us fat because we can't control our selves when there is a large pizza sitting in front of us haha

Some people can. Especially here on MFP. Lots of people tooting their "I'm so good at moderation" horns. Toot toot.