"Do Carbs make me fat"

Options

Replies

• BarryBrownFitness
    BarryBrownFitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Carbs are absolutely vital for health. Cutting carbs out completely is very unhealthy. As with everything else, it's a balance.

Saying that, cutting down carbs often makes sense. Carbs (especially simple carbs) offer quick energy but then a crash. Which makes one want to eat more carbs. And so on.

I'm a fan of carbs, hugely so, but you can actually live without them.

Also? The term I think you might be after is refined carbs. Simple carbs include things like apples. Complex carbs include things like dreaded white bread.

Saying that, a little of that dreaded white bread or some candy don't make everyone want to eat more carbs and oftentimes are just the thing needed in certain situations. Additionally, in the context of an overall balanced diet, they're fine in moderation, unless they cause problems for you on an individual level.

To address another poster, Gary Taubes' theories aren't really panning out. Additionally, there used to be a poster around these parts who had IR and she lost weight just fine eating plenty of carbs, simply by cutting calories. Plenty of diabetics simply manage carbohydrates rather than completely eliminate them or drastically lower them.

IR simply means that the body isn't responding to insulin properly, causing elevated blood glucose. In the absence of a caloric surplus, this situation won't cause additional fat to be permanently stored.

That's spot on what you are saying. There's so much information that gets thrown out there and it is believed by so many.

It is possible to live without carbs but let's be honest you are really missing out on a lot of fun!!! Everyone should have some sort of carbs in there diet weather it be simple carbs or refined.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Carbs are absolutely vital for health. Cutting carbs out completely is very unhealthy. As with everything else, it's a balance.

Saying that, cutting down carbs often makes sense. Carbs (especially simple carbs) offer quick energy but then a crash. Which makes one want to eat more carbs. And so on.

I'm a fan of carbs, hugely so, but you can actually live without them.

Also? The term I think you might be after is refined carbs. Simple carbs include things like apples. Complex carbs include things like dreaded white bread.

Saying that, a little of that dreaded white bread or some candy don't make everyone want to eat more carbs and oftentimes are just the thing needed in certain situations. Additionally, in the context of an overall balanced diet, they're fine in moderation, unless they cause problems for you on an individual level.

To address another poster, Gary Taubes' theories aren't really panning out. Additionally, there used to be a poster around these parts who had IR and she lost weight just fine eating plenty of carbs, simply by cutting calories. Plenty of diabetics simply manage carbohydrates rather than completely eliminate them or drastically lower them.

IR simply means that the body isn't responding to insulin properly, causing elevated blood glucose. In the absence of a caloric surplus, this situation won't cause additional fat to be permanently stored.

That's spot on what you are saying. There's so much information that gets thrown out there and it is believed by so many.

It is possible to live without carbs but let's be honest you are really missing out on a lot of fun!!! Everyone should have some sort of carbs in there diet weather it be simple carbs or refined.

Oh I agree. I think that, at the very least, the phytonutrients in vegetables are something you can't obtain through a strict carnivore diet. I know you can get all the micronutrients if you eat organ and raw meat, but I doubt many have the fortitude to do that properly. Some do. Just wanted to put it out there. I still don't think it's optimal for health.

Then again, I'm a vegetarian :p
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

They make me fat because I cannot eat them like a sane person.

I agree you need them in your diet. There are no difference in fat loss when it's comes to lower - higher carb diets under protein and calorie marched conditions.

And yes we all can agree that they make us fat because we can't control our selves when there is a large pizza sitting in front of us haha

Some people can. Especially here on MFP. Lots of people tooting their "I'm so good at moderation" horns. Toot toot.

I'm going through a spell where I can't. I'm torn with Christmas coming. I know I want to make myself some Christmas cookies and I know I'll likely eat the whole flippin' batch in a day or two. Maybe. I keep telling myself... maybe I'll be able to do it since I'm eating maintenance now.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

They make me fat because I cannot eat them like a sane person.

I agree you need them in your diet. There are no difference in fat loss when it's comes to lower - higher carb diets under protein and calorie marched conditions.

And yes we all can agree that they make us fat because we can't control our selves when there is a large pizza sitting in front of us haha

Some people can. Especially here on MFP. Lots of people tooting their "I'm so good at moderation" horns. Toot toot.

I'm going through a spell where I can't. I'm torn with Christmas coming. I know I want to make myself some Christmas cookies and I know I'll likely eat the whole flippin' batch in a day or two. Maybe. I keep telling myself... maybe I'll be able to do it since I'm eating maintenance now.

Yeah I can't have cookies in the house. I have no idea what I'm gonna do if I ever have a family or don't live alone someday.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I would like to hear everyone's opinion about this topic "Do Carbs make me fat". It be interesting to see what people are thinking on the subject.

Nope-weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance is about CICO. I eat a carb heavy diet and I'm several years into maintaining a 50ish pound loss, have excellent health markers, a bmi of 21 and a 25 inch waist. I <3 carbs.
  • lambeze12
    lambeze12 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I love to eat them to much. LOL
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    asgentr wrote: »
    If you are insulin resistant carbs make you fat. Look up Gary Taubes.
    No one should look up Taubes.

^This.
  • virgilnewman37
    virgilnewman37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The answer is YES! I grew up on a farm, and we fed our hogs nothing but carbs to fatten them up. Same is true for beef cattle. Corn(a carb) is the favorite food to fatten them up. There is absolutely no socially redeeming value to empty carbs.... only the good carbs like cabbabe, cale carrots, spinach,tomatoes,onions, garlic, asparagus, beets, etc that have the vitamins and minerals. But can I leave the empty carb stuff alone??? Heck no, I just had three cookies and a bottle of sweet tea today which destroyed my diet. But I'll do better tomorrow....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Carbs help build this bod.. so for me... no.

This.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Noooooooo. If It Fits Your Macros and you are eating at a deficit you'll lose weight.

I roll my eyes every time I hear this because at my first go at losing weight I was not restricting carbs in anyway. Oatmeal for breakfast, lunch was usually some sort of quinoa salad with beans and veggies or maybe avo toast with eggs. Dinner was typically balanced with a protein, with a grain and vegetable. I was eating mostly vegetarian so eating high protein without supplements like whey powder was hard, so I ended up eating pretty close to the way MFP recommends with the majority going to carbs. It's worth mentioning I was also half marathon training so I needed all those carbs but if you're at all active carbs aren't going to hurt you.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,321 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

The term I think you might be after is refined carbs. Simple carbs include things like apples. Complex carbs include things like dreaded white bread.

Won't comment on insulin resistance, but it seems you aren't totally up on complex vs simple. Simple just means it has one or two sugars, so apples are, yes, simple, but so is table sugar. It means we process them quickly, creating an energy spike.

Complex carbs have three or more. Yes, white bread is considered complex, but so is whole wheat or whole grain bread and many veggies.

The key is glycemic index tells us how quickly the food raises our blood sugar. Low gi raises our blood sugar more slowly than high gi foods. Apples are low gi, wheat bread and whole grains are medium and white bread, highly processed grains, candy and such are high. You feel fuller longer with low/med gi foods because they take longer to digest because of fiber content.

Even so, they're not good or bad, they don't make you fat or thin, etc. Too many high gi foods can spike your blood sugar fast, which can be less healthy, esp. if you're diabetic.

For those of you interested in sources, Harvard School of Public Health.

And, for the original question, no. Eating too much makes you fat. Whether is is carbs or fat or protien, candy or bread or fruit, beef or pork or chicken or whatever, too much is too much. And without proper fiber, we don't eliminate properly, which gets unpleasant and ugly really fast.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Lettuce will make you fat if you eat enough...along with literally every food that ever existed.