Eating Bacon...good or bad on a diet

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I had bacon an hour ago. MmMmMMmm...bacon....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Bacon has nothing to do with whether you will lose weight or not...no one particular food is responsible for whether you lose weight or gain weight or whatever...

Weight management is about energy balance (or lack thereof).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I'm on a cut. I had bacon on my egg sandwich this morning.

Take a guess as to what my response would be.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Bacon is super tasty in small amounts, and usually under 100 calories for a serving of 2 slices (depending on the brand, size of slice). It fits quite well into my regular diet. Crumbled in or wrapped around veggies, on sandwiches, salads, added to leaner cuts of meat and shellfish for extra flavor, sticking out of my bloody Mary, garnishing veggie soups. All while losing weight.

If anything, I think it can be beneficial - if you're making new, lighter recipes and you're used to eating a high-fat diet normally, a little strategically placed bacon can make the recipe taste indulgent for a rather modest amount of calories.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I find breakfast a good opportunity to get in some vegetables and fruits. A veggie stirfry with an egg dropped in at the end or an overnight oatmeal with canned pumpkin swirled in topped with nuts, a scrambled egg piled high with last night's roasted veggies.... now I'm drooling. I eat bacon as a treat. It isn't high in fat in moderation. I do try to limit processed products, and that includes meats.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    In case it wasn't mentioned, everything in moderation and you're good. It doesn't make bacon healthy, but it doesn't make it bad either unless you suffer from health conditions that bacon affects. Enjoy and good bacon to you!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Serious question for the bacon eaters...

Does the fact that's it's a #1 carcinogen worry anyone? I mean once in awhile I see it but eating often would worry me.

As a side note I don't eat meat for various reasons but when I did bacon was a staple for several years.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Serious question for the bacon eaters...

Does the fact that's it's a #1 carcinogen worry anyone? I mean once in awhile I see it but eating often would worry me.

As a side note I don't eat meat for various reasons but when I did bacon was a staple for several years.

None of us come out of this alive.

So true.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    I love the party line that others have written but the truth is that it is very difficult to know precisely how much fat is in bacon. Personally I love it and eat bacon often but I now go for leaner bacon and I cut off obvious fat. Eating fat is fine if you can count it but it can be difficult. Fried eggs are great too but I love poached so why have fried

It's on the package. Not hard to figure out at all.

Except that most of us drain off at least some of the fat that cooks out of the bacon. Which actually makes bacon a great diet food because it's one of the few foods that I know I am underestimating the calories of (unless I then use the fat to cook greens). And I haven't yet found a way to add negative calories for the bacon fat not eaten.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    festerw wrote: »
    Fat content has nothing to do with weight loss. I lost 70 pounds eating bacon and eggs fried in bacon grease at least 3 times a week.

Get your calories in check and have the bacon.

Same here!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I love the party line that others have written but the truth is that it is very difficult to know precisely how much fat is in bacon. Personally I love it and eat bacon often but I now go for leaner bacon and I cut off obvious fat. Eating fat is fine if you can count it but it can be difficult. Fried eggs are great too but I love poached so why have fried

It's on the package. Not hard to figure out at all.

Except that most of us drain off at least some of the fat that cooks out of the bacon. Which actually makes bacon a great diet food because it's one of the few foods that I know I am underestimating the calories of (unless I then use the fat to cook greens). And I haven't yet found a way to add negative calories for the bacon fat not eaten.

I use the bacon fat to make other things. So I figure the calories even out since I technically logged the fat at some point.