• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon every other day and I am still losing weight. CICO

I lovvvvvveeeeeeee BACON!!!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Serious question for the bacon eaters...

Does the fact that's it's a #1 carcinogen worry anyone? I mean once in awhile I see it but eating often would worry me.

As a side note I don't eat meat for various reasons but when I did bacon was a staple for several years.

No. The "science" almost all of these nutrition recommendations are based on is disgraceful.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options

Does the fact that's it's a #1 carcinogen worry anyone? I mean once in awhile I see it but eating often would worry me.

As a side note I don't eat meat for various reasons but when I did bacon was a staple for several years.

Nah. Everything's a carcinogen these days.

I love bacon and my 500cal bacon and cheese sandwich is one of my lunches that I rotate in and out of my menus regularly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Actually, if you look at the studies and not articles, your risk goes up by a pretty infinitesimal amount...overall risk is multiplied by 1.2% or something like that...

That said, I only eat bacon probably a couple of times in a given month...usually a random Saturday or Sunday...I've never quite understood the obsession myself. I'd actually much prefer some good breakfast sausage...but nobody in my family seems to like that unless we're camping for some reason.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that the "OMG bacon is a carcinogen" thing has been blown up so that people are scared of the amazingness that is bacon. The media made such a big deal of "Increases cancer risk 18%!!!" and did not make clear that in real terms, that equated to 3/10s of stuff all.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Damn. I want bacon now.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    did you really expect people to say bacon is good diet food :D ? lol. Eat it just log it :p

Why is it bad diet food? I don't eat diet food, I just eat food. The tastiest options I can fit into my calorie goal.

I've never understood why bacon gets such a bad rap, two slices of regular bacon are under 100 cals. That's pretty easy to fit into my breakfast on a regular basis. It's the eating bacon in excess, just like any other food, that becomes the issue...

Yesterday I took leftover bacon and added it to a Lean Cuisine Grilled Chicken Caesar entree, along with some frozen veggies, and it was amazing! Better than the pasta dish I regularly get at a local restaurant. Very filling and it came in under 400 calories!

?? I don't understand. What is this "leftover bacon" of which you speak?

I think we witnessed the birth of a new myth that will forever be thrown around on MFP.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    did you really expect people to say bacon is good diet food :D ? lol. Eat it just log it :p

Why is it bad diet food? I don't eat diet food, I just eat food. The tastiest options I can fit into my calorie goal.

I've never understood why bacon gets such a bad rap, two slices of regular bacon are under 100 cals. That's pretty easy to fit into my breakfast on a regular basis. It's the eating bacon in excess, just like any other food, that becomes the issue...

Yesterday I took leftover bacon and added it to a Lean Cuisine Grilled Chicken Caesar entree, along with some frozen veggies, and it was amazing! Better than the pasta dish I regularly get at a local restaurant. Very filling and it came in under 400 calories!

The bolded. What means this?

ETA: Now that I have read the whole thread, I see this has been asked, but not yet answered.

I agree it could become another MFP myth "they myth of the leftover bacon" :open_mouth:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I think we witnessed the birth of a new myth that will forever be thrown around on MFP.

Ha, yes we actually do have leftover bacon when I make up a package :) There's 5 of us and two of my kids don't like it (weirdos!). I usually throw in the leftovers with whatever I'm eating for lunch the next day.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Ha, yes we actually do have leftover bacon when I make up a package :) There's 5 of us and two of my kids don't like it (weirdos!). I usually throw in the leftovers with whatever I'm eating for lunch the next day.

You're baconing wrong. You're supposed to cook all the bacon, eat all the bacon, and buy more bacon. Rinse, repeat. :D

It is so good in other dishes though!