December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    5.1 miles this evening. It took nearly two miles for my legs to stop complaining. My knees in particular were unhappy. I haven't really had that issue much.

December totals: 12.45 / 100
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @showjumper & @accn1 Welcome to the Gang - No goal is to small. We all started Guestimating what we could do and slowly adjusted as we spent more time in our shoes. A good example/role model/inspiration is @MNLittleFinn ( Congrats on your Runversary)
    I just realized that today is my Runniversary, or, at least the day of the run I count as it. A year ago today, I ran my first sub-33 5k, and averaged 10:00/mile for the full 3.24mi run, despite actually running intervals of running and walking. Since then, I've run 2 half marathons, 2 5ks (incliding a 23:322 PB), a 10k, over 1000 miles, and signed and began training for my first Marathon. A year ago, I NEVER would have thought I would have done that.

A word of warning - December 5 and we are on page 12 already with over 340 posts so it moves along at a good clip. At some point in time we expect to see a picture of your shoe collection - running-outdoor shoes that is.

12 km along the River Bank Dike trail system in 82 minutes. -23C and a 10km/h wind = -30c Wind Chill Factor per Environment Canada. I was a little cool for the first km by then I had warmed up and was quite comfortable. Crazy Canadian :) .
    The town crew was out today so the Trail was freshly plowed. The 1 km along the Street at the far south end had 5cm/2in of snow on it with hidden ice patch's, what you call traction compromised. Every once in a while when you went to push off with the toe it just slipped out from underneath you. No spills - No calf cramps / shin splints so I am adjusted to winter running already. Started slow and let every thing get well warmed up before I started to crank up the pace.

December Running Goal 140km
    12/01–0.0 km –140km – 0 km – YTD 1210.5 km
    12/03–8.0 km –132km – 8 km
    12/04–5.0 km –127km – 13 km
    12/05–12.0 km –115km – 25 km – YTD 1235.5 km

exercise.png

Heat Wave on Friday B) and all those great sunny skies.

i76cnwl46y6s.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    12/5 - 2.5 mi
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 my SO will be in your neighbourhood on Thursday for a few days hunting... I will be keeping warm doing my C25K on my treadmill in the central part of the province....
  • Strandbergm
    Strandbergm Posts: 11 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the thread. I just got my treadmill today so I don't need to shut down my running over the winter this year!

I'll set a fairly arbitrary goal of 50 miles for December. So far I'm at 5.1

I'm curious how often everyone replaces their sneakers? Is it by mileage, time, wear? Does running on a treadmill help them last longer?

Good luck to everyone!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the thread. I just got my treadmill today so I don't need to shut down my running over the winter this year!

I'll set a fairly arbitrary goal of 50 miles for December. So far I'm at 5.1

I'm curious how often everyone replaces their sneakers? Is it by mileage, time, wear? Does running on a treadmill help them last longer?

Good luck to everyone!

Good first post. As to your question, I've noticed various apps and such that will track mileage. That is more complicated than I need. I use lots of technology, but when it comes to footwear.... I replace as needed. My vote is for "wear."
  • trudyschmidt
    trudyschmidt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Having a hard time wanting to get up and run tomorrow morning with it being 17 degrees. I did the TM today because of icy roads. Ugh, I dread the TM.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 miles (only running counts)

Dec 1: 2 miles@8:00min pace on the treadmill
    Dec 2: 2 miles@12:00min pace on treadmill
    Dec 3: 6 miles@10:00min pace (actual 1:00:05)
    Dec 4: Zip - Off day
    Dec 5: 2 miles@7:47min pace on treadmill
    Total: 12 miles

@Strandbergm great question; I was wondering same thing.
    @midwesterner85 thanks! Wear makes sense, just thought I remembered someone telling me a set number of miles(a long time ago)
    @juliet3455 do work shoes count? I log more miles in my dress shoes than I do my running :smile:
    @ everyone if the temp where you are starts with something less than the number 4 it's just too dang cold! :wink:

Upcoming races:
    Spartan Sprint Houston 3/11
    Spartan Super Austin 5/20
    Spartan Beast Dallas 10/28
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Love the pic of your trail shoes!

@dkabambe I find now that walking even for a few steps during a long run sets me back too much, so I keep running. My legs go all wobbly! During Sunday's HM I had to walk to drink the energy drink they were handing out, and I'm not sure it was worth it. Well done keeping going at the start!

@Virkati Oh, so many best wishes for the job! xo

@Elise4270 You play violin?! I played viola at school, but my sister is a professional violinist. Would love to hear you play.

@karllundy I agree. Donuts and beer are both awesome (/Homer), but not mixed.

@RespectTheKitty :heart:

@greenolivetree Running 5.3 miles for @9voice9 's birthday on December 31 sounds like a plan!
    I just realized that today is my Runniversary, or, at least the day of the run I count as it. A year ago today, I ran my first sub-33 5k, and averaged 10:00/mile for the full 3.24mi run, despite actually running intervals of running and walking. Since then, I've run 2 half marathons, 2 5ks (incliding a 23:322 PB), a 10k, over 1000 miles, and signed and began training for my first Marathon. A year ago, I NEVER would have thought I would have done that.

@MNLittleFinn No. Way.
    My 5 km 1 year Runniversary is/was December 5. You're *kitten* kidding me!

@juliet3455 I'd like to see pics of everyone's running shoe collection. Specially @AdrianChr92 's. He seems to buy a pair a week!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    December 2016

01 Dec – 6.2 km Lake Wendouree
    03 Dec – 5.4 km including Albert Melbourne parkrun with my nephew
    04 Dec – 21.2 km Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon 2:07:59.4

Goals: Too many!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Debated between an easy run or a rest day (1mile) after yesterdays efforts, but in the end decided on the longer run - good to get my body used to running tired if I'm to do a marathon next year. I set out for 8k on grass/trail at the local park just to give my joints a bit of an easier time even though probably made the run overall a bit harder, but got through it averaging MP overall. Definitely deserving of a rest day tomorrow, so might try to get some strength work in this evening to make the most of the planned rest.
    Orphia wrote: »
    @dkabambe I find now that walking even for a few steps during a long run sets me back too much, so I keep running. My legs go all wobbly! During Sunday's HM I had to walk to drink the energy drink they were handing out, and I'm not sure it was worth it. Well done keeping going at the start!
    Normally I'm not so bad - lately I've had to stop to get extra drink on my out-and-back long runs (need to invest in a hydration backpack now my long runs are 2hrs+) although sometimes I do laps and I just stash drinks somewhere so I can pick one up each time round.
    @dkabambe That sounds like a real tough run. 489m elevation in 10.7km are quite impressive - especially if the downhill parts where in there too, so you probably had to climb all that in maybe 5-6km; which would be a slope of almost 10%. That's defenitely something you fill feel in the end!
    It was pretty tough - the main road has much more gentle slopes so may use that next time! I went on a route which runs parallel which is constantly up or down with no flats - I've cycled it before and didn't seem as bad but I guess that's because you get to freewheel all the downhill bits whilst with running you still have to put the effort in. However, you do get rewarded with some great views over the River Thames and out to the North Sea - sadly I didn't have the energy to stop and take pictures.

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner @loubelle16 @RunRachelleRun @greenolivetree (was there anyone else thinking about buying fancy 80s legwarmers?)
    I bought a spiband (like a flipbelt, but for the ankle or wrist) and tried it out yesterday. The medium one fits snugly around my ankle, held the change I had with me (for after-race hot chocolate :) ), and covered the gap between pants and socks on my left leg. I though about getting out my sewing maching and trying to let out the hem on those running pants, but I might just buy another spiband for the other ankle.

I'm up for the 80's leg warmer thing myself. I'm only 5' so Capri pants are better than full length, but there's the annoying air gap round the ankle. I have some groovy gaiters I wear trail running, so am thinking I need to invest in equally flash leg-warmers. Might not even colour-co-ordinate with the rest of my running gear (none of it is particularly co-ordinated).

leg-warmers rock!!! Does this mean I also have to grow my hair out to get the Farrah Fawcett flick back?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    went away for the weekend and have just had to plough through six pages.....

The weekend was primarily made of wine, and beer. With also some huge portions of lasagne and cake. And cheese.

Was determined to get a walk in, so we planned a short 4 mile hike from the Needles to the next bay. The friend I walk with and I generally amble, so our average walking pace is around 2 mph (we get distracted by rocks, flowers ,mushrooms, viewpoints etc.). This walk was different – we had to meet a friend who was picking us up and didn’t want him to wait too long, plus we were very exposed with an Easterly wind and not a lot of sun. Took us just under an hour, so pretty much a record!!! I could happily have gone on some more but we went to the pub instead and undid all the good work.

I’ve not run yet this week, had some very bad news about a friend a few days ago, and it’s made me sad and subsequently very tired. I will try to get out this evening as I think it might help.

Good going everyone else!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Orphia that's awesome! I "could" have a different runnversary, but, that interval session was the first time I felt like I "could" become a runner. I NEVER imagined I would make the progress I have in just one year.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/60 5.01

Total: 31.39

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: Assignment was 5 miles at 9:55 pace. Ended up running it at 9:40 pace, with a BRUTAL 11mph headwind with gusts to 30 when I was on the southbound portions of the loop. Other than that, great run.

Speaking of shoes....
    20161206_064228_zpsr0wty6ft.jpg
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Apparently I need to be much more careful! Yesterday I slipped in the kitchen (but didn't fall) and today I fell on the road. Two skinned knees and hands. I set out for five miles but the fall was at mile .5 - which was close to my house. I usually do a loop past my house 2 times which is 1 mile in case there is a bathroom necessity. So this fall was almost in front of my house! You know those little blue reflectors on the road...? Somehow I tripped on that! My face sort of hit the street but only one side of my lip and it didn't bleed like the rest of me.
    Amazingly, I didn't cry! I was shaking though. So I went inside washed off my hands and knees and set out again, much slower and more careful.

Tomorrow back to the gym so will probably just do 1 mile for the Holiday Streak. Hopefully I can lift weights with these palms scraped up.

12/1 - 3.2 miles
    12/2 - 1.5 miles
    12/3 - 45 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/4 - 27 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/5 - 4 miles
    12/6 - 4 miles

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options

While I don't run on a treadmill, my guess would be that running on one is less impactful on sneakers versus running on the pavement. Therefore, I would imagine that they would last a little longer on a treadmill...by how much I have absolutely no idea. For me personally, I tend to start thinking about replacing my sneakers at around the 400-mile mark, and so they generally do about 500 miles before they get retired and become a spare emergency pair. At that point, there is noticeable wear on the forefoot.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5.35 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    12/2 - 5 miles. Pleasant for December, about 35°
    12/3 - Bodypump class, then 2.25 miles on treadmill
    12/4 - Planned rest day.
    12/5 - 5.11 miles avoiding slippery spots.
    12/6 - Bodypump class, then 2.3 miles on treadmill.

exercise.png