December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Just noticed @Elise4270 ! Hi @alipsie19 !! I'm Lisa and I live in DFW but on the west side of 35W. ;) I'm running the HM in the Dallas marathon next Sunday.

@BeeerRunner @alipsie19 Hi from another runner in the DFW area; The Colony to be exact, right in the corner where The Colony, Frisco, and Plano all come together.

02 - 11.77 miles
    03 - 5.39
    04 - 5.33

Total: 22.49 / 125

Hi @garygse ! We get out to your side of the metroplex for my some of my son's soccer tournaments here and there. Otherwise, I stay in Tarrant County. I'd probably be more likely to drive over to @Elise4270 in Oklahoma than The Colony. Lol! ;)

Anyway, nice to meet you!! :smile:
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ those cookies look amazing, thank you for sharing the recipe!

Date Km Today - Km for Dec.
    12/1 6.17 - 6.17
    12/4 5.77 - 11.94
    =======
    Goal 75 km

Since I wasn't feeling well and knew I would have to run though high winds if I ran outside, I wimped out and ran on the treadmill today. I'm able to run for an hour with just a 1 minute walking break on the treadmill now. I need about 5 or 6 walking breaks and my heart rate goes through the roof when I run outside.

Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend, I loved reading about your race experiences.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Resolution Run 5km - 12/31
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Likewise, it's a pleasure to meet you!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ok... I still haven't figured out my winter/spring marathon plan for 2017, but I'll commit to 180 this month as I need to ramp things back up and am having trouble finding motivation to get out for runs otherwise. Leaning towards Austin, but may do Ft. Lauderdale A1A instead (both are the weekend of February 19th).

Ended up signing up at the lastminute for a mid-sized (110 runner) holiday 5K that was earlier today for the sake of the post-race dinner (Chase the Dreidel 5K - as they served potato pancakes & jelly donuts after). I finished in 2nd place last year, and figured I'd have a shot at winning as I'm in better shape now but really haven't oriented my training around 5Ks. Shaved 1:13 off last year's time, and won the race by 30 seconds with a time of 18:13. The course measured at 2.98 miles on my garmin, so I'm a bit skeptical if it was a true 5K time, but given it was over 80 degrees, sunny, and humid at the start, I'll call it a PR for now.

12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 5 miles
    12/4 - 4 miles (warmup + 5K race)

Total: 16 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 164 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5 - 10:21:27 (3:38:20 marathon time)
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 12 - 41:37 (easy run - there to pace a friend for marathon)
    Chase the Dreidel 5K - Dec 4 - 18:13
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Just noticed @Elise4270 ! Hi @alipsie19 !! I'm Lisa and I live in DFW but on the west side of 35W. ;) I'm running the HM in the Dallas marathon next Sunday.

@BeeerRunner @alipsie19 Hi from another runner in the DFW area; The Colony to be exact, right in the corner where The Colony, Frisco, and Plano all come together.

02 - 11.77 miles
    03 - 5.39
    04 - 5.33

Total: 22.49 / 125

Hi @garygse ! We get out to your side of the metroplex for my some of my son's soccer tournaments here and there. Otherwise, I stay in Tarrant County. I'd probably be more likely to drive over to @Elise4270 in Oklahoma than The Colony. Lol! ;)

Haha! I'm in Plano once a week (PT)! Ft Worth is good for pancakes, and races!

There's the A2A here in March. The 5k is hilly, there a half, 20 miles just for kicks, and a full. Not much else worth the drive! Well maybe Windstar for concerts.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    12/2: .5; chest/arms
    12/3: 10
    12/4: .5; back/shoulders/core

Happy to get a workout in on my birthday! I warmed up with a half mile on the TM and then did a back/shoulders/core routine (with some good stretching too).

Training for: Key West Half Marathon, Jan 15, 2017
    exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    December Goal: Trim my Thanksgiving turkey thighs and mashed potato/pumpkin pie paunch

12/1 rest
    12/2 4.25
    12/3 3.05
    12/4 2.40 + strength/core training

Total: 9.70

@Calvin2008Brian Happy Birthday!
    RE: exposed skin...what about using calf compression sleeves?

Upcoming Races:
    Races For Awareness Virtual 10k for Outrun The Sun Skin Cancer Awareness: soon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:
    exercise.png
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian Happy birthday!

@BeeerRunner and @loubelle16 So leg warmers may be a trend again? I'll be hip (at least in my mind) when I'm one of the first.

12/3: 5
    12/4: 2.39

Total: 8.39 / 40
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda dreading getting out at 30F in the morning for 1 mile to keep the streak going. I haven't ran early before work in a long time. But tomorrow morning is the only chance I'll have. Tuesday I can run after work. Wednesday I'll have to go early again. Anyway, I figured I'll get started with some exercise inside first and when I'm nice and warm, run out and just knock out a mile. I can do this..... I have to do this!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My goal is 50 miles this month. My job is crying for us to pick up overtime.

12/2....4.73 miles on the treadmill, rolling hills, pace at 13:20, average heart rate at 82% max.
    12/4....2.85 miles on the treadmill, pace at 11:45, average heart rate at 88% max.

Total----7.58 miles

Really stalled with exercising today. When I finally left the house, it was too dark to run outside and the gym was closing in an hour and a half. Normally I hate running on the treadmill, but it felt good to be running today.

Today was the day that we were going to decorate the tree, but just couldn't get it done. I think that it is because it hasn't snowed yet...not even really cold. Where is winter?...it is December 4th...and not a flake. It was 50 degrees last week.

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So one day this week I will set up my tracker... right now I'm at 14 miles out of 55. Will slow down this week because I'll be in NYC next weekend.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I use a roo pocket to hold my car key, credit cards, cell phone. It uses a magnet to clip to your waist band. I also pin it with a safety pin for extra security.
    @kristinegift I showed the photo you posted today to my husband. It looks like paradise. Where is it, anyway?
    @lissadecker Congrats on your personal record. So awesome.
    @MobyCarp I was amused that you felt the need to run another 30 minutes after your race as if that wasn't enough workout for you. You recovered super fast. Great job!
    @Orphia I think that you had a great race. My someday in the future goal is to run a sub 2:20 half, and you ran it in 2:07....totally fantastic.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 miles (only running counts)

Dec 1: 2 miles@8:00min pace on the treadmill
    Dec 2: 2 miles@12:00min pace on treadmill
    Dec 3: 6 miles@10:00min pace (actual 1:00:05)
    Dec 4: Zip - today was my off day
    Total: 10 miles

I did go for two walks about 5min apart. First walk with 40lbs weight vest was 6.37 miles in 106minutes (16:38 pace). Second walk, no vest, was 6 miles in 87minutes (a solid 14:30 pace)

@ all who raced this weekend, I'm glad it was a good one for you. PRs are always super cool.

One of these days I'll figure out what my running goals are.
    Upcoming races:
    Spartan Sprint Houston 3/11
    Spartan Super Austin 5/20
    Spartan Beast Dallas 10/28
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Great photo, @kristinegift !
    @juliet3455, I tip my hat to you for running in those conditions! ...or planning on it anway, I have no doubt you will.
    @BeeerRunner, @juliet3455 pretty much described what I would wear, though i wouldn't wear anything over my tights. My wind jacket would come off and get wrapped around my waist as soon as I warmed up. Instead of a toque I'd likely wear a buff on my head, like a hat, and a buff around my neck. They would come off and on depending on the wind and how warm I was. My outer shirt would be a half zip to regulate heat as I ran. But like @juliet3455, I also tend to be warm when others are cold.
    @RespectTheKitty if the conditions are such that you don't feel comfortable running, what about walking? I love walking in fresh snow.
    @Orphia that heat sounds tough, nice job pulling through.
    @_nikkiwolf_ nice collection of swag!
    @ohhim, congrats on the win! I love potato pancakes!
    Happy birthday @Calvin2008Brian !
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well done to all those who ran some really strong races this weekend @Orphia, @MobyCarp, @Ohhim and anyone else I've missed :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Ok, Donut Day report

I skipped the actual Donut Day 25K due to Achilles pain that made me unsure how far I could run. I decided to run trails instead.

Friday afternoon my new shoes still hadn't arrived yet to the store yet, so I was a bit disappointed with that. Then I slept in late and didn't get the early start I wanted. Grrrr... The day got better from there though. First, I stopped by the donut shop on the way to the trails and bought a half dozen. Nothing unusual, just the old standbys. They sure smelled good and it was hard not to eat one right away.

dc6buqoq5rxs.jpg

The plan was to run the trails slow and easy. I started my Garmin, but I wouldn't look at it at all until after the run. I didn't want to know the pace or distance, I just wanted to run easy. Kody & I ran all over that park and had a great time. My Achilles was fine for the most part. A couple of times it woke up and reminded me to take slow, short strides, then went back to sleep.

I would never have guessed I'd be good for 14.7 miles (a new distance PR for Kody!). Even more surprising, despite my intention of taking it easy I still managed a 10:37 pace. I was expecting 12:00 at best.

Before the run I had a whole wheat bagel with sunflower butter. During the run, which took 3 hours including stops, I had nothing. No food, no water. I was definitely in fat burning mode! That last couple of miles I was starting to tire but I'm not sure if it was lack of food or the fact that my last 4 miles were all sub 10 minute miles. Kody had plenty of water though. The park has three trail heads with running water and of course, plenty of lakes for him to drink from.

When I got back to my truck I dove into the donuts. OMG those tasted great after that run! I should have brought some beers to wash them down though. A few hours after the run my Achilles started complaining, but I don't think it's anything that going to slow me down too much.

v0s8f0cebzdg.jpg
    eiohwuavkf00.jpg
    ^ Kody playing in the lake, in spite of the 32F temps. The other side of of the lake still had a layer of ice on it.

After the run I picked up my three new pair of trail shoes...2 pair of Cloudventures from On Running, and a pair of Lone Peaks from Altra.

Tonight I went out for a 4.7 mile run with Kody. Though it was a road run, I decided to wear my new Cloudventures. OMG!!!! These are so damn comfortable! They truly feel like I'm wearing a pair of slippers, but I have plenty of support and I can still feel ever stone and every crack below my feet. These are without a doubt my new favorites, road or trail. @juliet3455 I told the store owner about what you had said, about the bottom pads breaking in cold weather and before I could finish he told me that if that happens they'd replace them, no question.

9uex001mrl7t.jpg

kqz3x2fp26si.jpeg
    7idih00tbwr3.jpeg

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)
    12/5: 6.8k

17/120k

Stay free of injuries!
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7
    Glad to hear the Achilles didn't hamper the day. The donuts look amazing! And thanks for the info about the trail runners. I need to get a pair. I wear Hoka's due to hip and knee problems but they aren't that good on trails.