• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Walking miles

1---2 hours on YouTube, and a massage
    2---1.7 in the rain
    3,4---nada
    5---5.38

Turns out the violin was inadvertently shipped without the bow. I'm so sad.. but it's now on its way. The walk actually felt good. Maybe I will get some running in this month.

0/5 running miles
    7.08/50+ walking miles

12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half DNS
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @katharmonic I got crêpes au chocolat after the last two races I did, so I already started to think about it as "tradition" now. If you never had any, you have to try them when you get a chance! The good ones with real molten chocolate though, not some where they just put some chocolate-flavoured syrup as I've seen at a Christmas market recently; that's just wrong...
    Wow, 600 stairs? I used to live on the eleventh floor until a year ago, that was 176 stairs up, and that always seemed like A LOT to me! What kind of stair challenge are you doing?

@karllundy The cookies turned out really nice, but not perfect. The recipie called for a tablespoon of Nutella per cookie; my jar was nearly empty, so I only used a teaspoon instead. Which was okay, but next time I'll make sure I have enough Nutella at home to stuff as much inside the cookies as physically possible :p

@7lenny7 That trail run looks so beautiful, and you got your donuts too! I don't think the "official" donut run could have been any better. Glad you like your new ON shoes so much. I've replaced the original laces on my Cloudflyers with some old ones from another pair of shoes; I never got used to the thin laces.

@dkabambe That sounds like a real tough run. 489m elevation in 10.7km are quite impressive - especially if the downhill parts where in there too, so you probably had to climb all that in maybe 5-6km; which would be a slope of almost 10%. That's defenitely something you fill feel in the end!

@greenolivetree Run at 6am or 3pm? So the respective drawbacks are "get up really early" or "take a shower before the banquet"... I'm not a morning person, and I like hot showers, so that decision would be a no-brainer for me!

@Virkati All the best of luck for that job interview!

@RespectTheKitty Don't apologise for mentioning the depression! It's great that you can talk about it; and that you give therapy another shot. The worst thing you could possibly would be to pretend nothing's wrong, I'm always scared when people try to do that. If there's anything we can do to help let us know!

@Elise4270 Too bad that the bow was missing. Maybe you can still do some first experiments with the violin? Tuning it for example. And maybe there are some exercises for finger positions on the strings that you could do.

@accn1 Welcome! 50km is a great goal - coincidentally, that was also the number I picked when I first joined this challenge ;)

--

Today was foreseen to be a rest day. But I rode the bike to work and didn't take a backpack, so I couldn't do any shopping on the way home. Since I was already missing some essantial breakfast ingedients this morning, I decided to do a short run to the supermarket tonight to pick those up. I even had to push the pace a little to make it there before they closed; went a little slower on the way home.

01.12.2016 4.3 km
    02.12.2016 5.2 km
    03.12.2016 7.5 km
    04.12.2016 13.6 km
    05.12.2016 3.0 km

6gATp1.png
  • Elise4270
    Options

@Elise4270 Too bad that the bow was missing. Maybe you can still do some first experiments with the violin? Tuning it for example. And maybe there are some exercises for finger positions on the strings that you could do.

@_nikkiwolf_ That's a good idea. It seems to be in tune, but it wouldn't hurt to check it. The outfit I got it from has been amazing. I'll do those finger exercises!

@RespectTheKitty I agree with everyone else. Share all you need to. We love you here!
  • accn1
    accn1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :) How long have you been in the challenge?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    @kristinegift I showed the photo you posted today to my husband. It looks like paradise. Where is it, anyway?

@ereck44 Princeton, NJ! Our smaller trails are interesting. You get a beautiful view like that and then 500 yards later, it's dead trees and piles of brown leaves!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    accn1 wrote: »
    Thank you! :) How long have you been in the challenge?
    October 2014 was the first time I joined. I think I only missed two month last year (when I was was running very little and spending even less time on the forums due to a combination of new job/moving to a new country/work travel/general life crazyness): so this month is the 25th time I'm doing it. Which already gives a hint how great I think the challenge and the people here are :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    12/1: 6 miles with Pacers crew +lifting
    12/2: 2 miles
    12/3: 8 miles with the Saturday crew
    12/4: 5.3 miles on trails +lifting
    12/5: 6 miles

Well, I definitely overestimated how much daylight I'd have after work, but it was good run nonetheless. I've been working on a 2017 budget since my MA loans will come due next year, so I listened to a personal finance podcast episode and chatted with my dad for a few minutes (hooray for headphones with mics!). More lifting tomorrow. Woo!

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8/17: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18/17: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile option
    3/12/17: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18/17: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    4/1/17: NJ Ultra Fest HM (trail, maybe)
    4/9/17: Rutgers UNITE HM (maybe)
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)

• Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal: 65 Mi Run
    12/01 4.02 mi run 4.02 mi run total
    12/03 3.21 mi run 7.23 mi run total
    12/04 6.14 mi run 13.37 mi run total
    12/04 2.01 mi run 15.38 mi run total
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I got crêpes au chocolat after the last two races I did, so I already started to think about it as "tradition" now. If you never had any, you have to try them when you get a chance! The good ones with real molten chocolate though, not some where they just put some chocolate-flavoured syrup as I've seen at a Christmas market recently; that's just wrong...
    Wow, 600 stairs? I used to live on the eleventh floor until a year ago, that was 176 stairs up, and that always seemed like A LOT to me! What kind of stair challenge are you doing?

@_nikkiwolf_ I will definitely have to try crepes au chocolat. Molten chocolate sounds fabulous.
    I was doing a challenge for another challenge group here on MFP and over the course of the week, we had to get the number of stairs they have on the Inca Trail at Machu Picchu in Peru, which was 1778 (half up, half down). I didn't get enough done earlier in the week so had to do the bulk of mine on Saturday and Sunday. That's a LOT of steps. My legs are still feeling wobbly.

Date:: :::: Miles :::: Dec total (goal = 80)
    12/01/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    12/03/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    12/04/16 :::: 6.0 :::: 11.8
    12/05/16 :::: 3.3 :::: 15.0

I took off work a bit early so I was able to get a run in on the trail with Stella before it got dark. Just. I had to walk up the hill part (my nemesis hill), there's no way my legs were going for that one today.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    12/1: 5 miles
    12/2: 4 miles
    12/3: 4 miles
    12/4: 11 miles
    12/5: 5 miles

TOTAL: 27 miles

5 miles in 59:29 (9:56) today for a slow recovery run. Probably should have slowed my pace a little more as I could feel some soreness in my calves from yesterday that I didn't realize was there.

About 3.5 miles into my run, I was running down a pretty busy street in a nearby neighborhood when a cat ran up to me meowing. I found this strange since, like I said, I was running down a busy street with cars whizzing past and it was pretty cold outside. I knocked on the closest house right on the corner and the guy that answered was like "Yep, she ours! She loves anyone that will give her attention!" I understand that some cats are indoor/outdoor cats, but this situation was strange. I'm sure she was cold and it wasn't really safe for her to be running around a busy area, especially running into the street when it was getting dark outside. Poor kitty :'(
  • Elise4270
    Options
    About 3.5 miles into my run, I was running down a pretty busy street in a nearby neighborhood when a cat ran up to me meowing. I found this strange since, like I said, I was running down a busy street with cars whizzing past and it was pretty cold outside. I knocked on the closest house right on the corner and the guy that answered was like "Yep, she ours! She loves anyone that will give her attention!" I understand that some cats are indoor/outdoor cats, but this situation was strange. I'm sure she was cold and it wasn't really safe for her to be running around a busy area, especially running into the street when it was getting dark outside. Poor kitty :'(

There's a cat in our addition like that. Luckily there's no traffic! You probably saved the poor thing.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just had a bunch of replies typed but I accidentally deleted it :/ so this may short

@7lenny7 Those donuts look amazing! I had to stop by a donut shop yesterday evening and treat myself to two donuts...they're my favorite long run reward! Nice run too as well as great scenery

@Virkati Crossing my fingers that everything will work out for you and you'll get the job!

@lporter229 Thanks (I'm saying that like I personally had a hand in them making the playoffs haha)! It would have been awesome to have two Big 10 teams in the playoffs, but I'm excited for PSU about going to the Rose Bowl as well

@greenolivetree If you're still taking votes, I'd say go for the afternoon too if you're more likely to go then. I'm not a morning run person myself. 1-2 morning runs a week is about my max.

@Elise4270 I hope so! But I fear that the guy probably let her run back outside :/
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Another perk of running tomorrow afternoon is I'll already be in the next town over for work. It's only a 15 min drive over to the trails but I never want to waste 30 min driving somewhere to run. So I can bring running gear and actually run somewhere different! :D

@9voice9 I'll run 5.3 miles for your birthday :)

• jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    December running challenge

December goal: continue with physio, massage and deep needling acupuncture to recover in time to start full training in January for The Around The Bay 30km in March. Maintain fitness while running is at a minimum.

Dec 1 - stretching, foam rolling
    Dec 2 - 30 min slow run on treadmill, mixing in backwards running. Physio appt.
    Dec 3 - 60 min power walk. Rehab exercises x2.
    Dec 4 - 80 min yin yoga, 135 min refereeing Ice hockey, rehab exercises.
    Dec 5 - 32 min swimming, including 5 min aqua running, rehab exercises, massage

Upcoming races:
    March Around the Bay 30km
    May Ottawa Marathon

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Went for a run this evening, added to total. So far, off to a good start this month.

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Depression is definitely back. I blame the winter weather.
    Azercord wrote: »
    I'm with you on the winter blues. I live in a dessert for a reason, I did two winters up in Alaska and was completely done in, depression through the roof, but I'm better now.

@Azercord Sounds like you suffered a bad case of what is know as Seasonal Affected Disorder ( SAD ) a fancy way of saying you weren't getting enough day light to keep your Vitamin D production going and Serotonin levels up.
    @RespectTheKitty Suffering from depression is no picnic at the best of times. Your Depression might be getting an un-wanted kick from the lower light levels of winter. I know if I don't get outside in the middle of the day in December/January I can turn into a very cranky - miserable A## - Grumpy gus. So that's one of the reasons I get extra mid day runs outside in the dead of winter just to have the sun on my face. Have you ever tried Light Therapy in the winter where you are exposed to full spectrum light? Some local friends hit a sun-tanning studio for 2-4 sessions a month in the winter and swear that it is what has turned there mood around. Some other friends have purchased a special Full Spectrum light with a built in alarm clock - so the light slowly increases in brightness and they wake up to a bright room. Not sure if you set a wake-up interval or just a single time point.
    As others have said We are here for you - vent when ever you have to.
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Crazy busy this week with my last round of final exams ever! // This afternoon’s speedy 3 miles was brought to you by cold legs, a frozen nose, and too few layers.
    @ariceroni The great motivator - Cold. WoHo on Final Exams.
    9voice9 wrote: »
    20.32% of goal. Turns out that the sleeve on the wind-breaker apparently tricks the Garmin into thinking it's being touched (bad touch, no doubt!), and so it responds by bringing up the in-run menu and such. Well, that was okay, if a bit irksome, until I had to take a bio-break about halfway thru and the bad touch fooled the Garmin into thinking it was a "save" touch, and closed out my run. So, it's divided between 2 entries on Garmin and Strava and such.
    @9voice9 Is there a 2 button Lock option for your Garmin? I remember some vague mention of it from some runner/tri-athlete.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    December Running Challenge:

12/1: 4 miles, Body Pump, and yoga
    12/2: Yoga
    12/3: 8 miles
    12/4: 11 miles, yoga
    12/5: 4 miles

MTD: 27 out of 115

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26

I arrived in Chicago today for work this week. There is a running trail nearby, so I ran after work. There still was a lot of snow on the trail...wish I brought my trail running shoes. It was 34 F with no wind so it was a very nice run.

@juliet3455 Thanks for the winter wear tips. I'm pretty light and tend to get cold easy. I wore a long sleeve tech shirt, a thin running jacket, a hoody, and mid weight leggings. I was totally comfortable. I also brought a windbreaker in case I run again in colder temps.