December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic love the Santa pic! If i looked like I was 25 I'd sit on Santa's lap too! :wink: haha!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia No I don't play. I had probably half a year around the 5th grade.

Since returning to running is slower than anticipated, I need an outlet. So I figure there's pay off in a violin, and the dang thing keeps calling to me this time of year every year for the last 3-4. Someone played it in church 2 weeks ago and I it was done. I had to get moving on it!

I wanna be a concert violinist! We saw the trans sIberian orchestra and I was in agony longing for the violin, that should have been me kinda thing, last year. I refused to go this year because I couldn't take it again. Haha! Really, that was my first pick as a kid, professional violinist. We just moved to often to stay in it. Fate saved it for my non running slump.

I have troubles with dance shows/ballet for the same reason. I either get depressed I couldn't make it as a professional dancer OR it makes me want to dance again (and not just between sets while lifting or random dancing while running - yup, I'm that weirdo running, dancing and sometimes even singing)
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @Strandbergm I usually do a combination of miles and looks on my shoes. If I hit a mileage marker and they look fine I keep going until they show the wear. I also find treadmills seem to reduce the life of my tread but I also tend to scuff my heals while walking. With the ground moving past my feet it is like sandpaper on my tread.

@juliet3455 yeah I got diagnosed with moderate SAD and extreme depression (depression runs in the family so SAD was the trigger) but oddly enough my vitamin D levels were just fine, I used a tanning booth 5-7 days a week at my gym. I'm just solar powered so I need lots of sun :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Ouch! Hope it is just skinned hands / knees.
    @accn1 - Hmmm...don't remember when I first started here. I think August or September 2014. @davemunger was organizing it and @stoshew71 was in it. So at least 26 months. I ebb and flow a little. It is a wonderful "place"!
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2016
    Options

Since returning to running is slower than anticipated, I need an outlet. So I figure there's pay off in a violin, and the dang thing keeps calling to me this time of year every year for the last 3-4. Someone played it in church 2 weeks ago and I it was done. I had to get moving on it!

I wanna be a concert violinist! We saw the trans sIberian orchestra and I was in agony longing for the violin, that should have been me kinda thing, last year. I refused to go this year because I couldn't take it again. Haha! Really, that was my first pick as a kid, professional violinist. We just moved to often to stay in it. Fate saved it for my non running slump.

I have troubles with dance shows/ballet for the same reason. I either get depressed I couldn't make it as a professional dancer OR it makes me want to dance again (and not just between sets while lifting or random dancing while running - yup, I'm that weirdo running, dancing and sometimes even singing)

I had to give up music as I ran because I couldn't figure out how to "dance" and run simultaneously. I'm a nerd. I can't dance, can't sing, don't draw (well I kinda can when inspired), I mean I'm not an artistically channeled individual. It's odd trying to cultivate this side, I keep telling myself it's still math it's still physics- all the same.

You should go dance. Seriously. Life is too short. Have some kitten fun! Our Y has some dance classes I have loved to take. But currently walking through the house stepping over feet, shoes, cats and navigating corners are still intentiona- not to mention avoiding near misses at the grocery store. I doubt i could dance. I'm doing alright to walk! Haha!

You dance, I'll play. Together.

ETA in 5 years you'd be a heck of a dancer. I'll be a professional violinist:-) haha! There's always local theatre. I do plan on networking a bit. Although, some of them music folks (here) are *insert banjo riff*, *insert overalls* *insert I dated one*, *insert lawnmower races* oops- I digress. We can dream girl. Every run I've ever had- I'm Lauren Fleshman, or Kara Goucher. Maybe even the iron nun. We can share a connection at 12 min/mile :smiley:

I'll start studying the nutcracker suite, you get the ballet shoes on!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I wonder if your legs are tired? When I had a bout of falls, it seemed to cluster like that. It's it cooler there yet? Glad you're alright!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso and @Elise4270 Swing is the way to go. I took up swing dancing a couple of years ago, it's great fun, very social, and a good workout to great music. So if you could just get that violin into a Jazz set that would be great (might need to find some brass/wind players too, and gotta have a double bass. Can't have jazz without a plucking bass)

• Elise4270
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso and @Elise4270 Swing is the way to go. I took up swing dancing a couple of years ago, it's great fun, very social, and a good workout to great music. So if you could just get that violin into a Jazz set that would be great (might need to find some brass/wind players too, and gotta have a double bass. Can't have jazz without a plucking bass)

Right on!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Kept my word! Feel pretty lowly in such great company!!

sorry for the double post....... my ticker isn't updating :( And I don't know how to delete this one.....
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 perhaps you need to stop drinking :wink: Seriously girl be careful!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It is super cold here for the next 10 days or so... currently it is -4F (-20C) and expected to drop to -9F (-24C) by lunchtime and a windchill of -23F (-34C) I will be continuing my C25K path every other day on my treadmill.

exercise.png

• RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I've done swing before it is great fun. I have attempted pretty much every form of dance. Mostly stuck to ballet, tap, jazz, modern and hip hop when offered.
    I had to give up music as I ran because I couldn't figure out how to "dance" and run simultaneously. I'm a nerd. I can't dance, can't sing, don't draw (well I kinda can when inspired), I mean I'm not an artistically channeled individual. It's odd trying to cultivate this side, I keep telling myself it's still math it's still physics- all the same.

I find I become more creative the more I use it. I'm trying to become a professional photographer (I guess it's no longer "becoming" as I've sold stuff & had things auctioned off) & have gotten myself back into other art forms (and reading) because it helps cultivate creativity. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert is an interesting book on this topic. There is a lot of Woo in it but 75% of it is pretty good.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    As for shoes, I usually get 400-500 out of my Brooks. I track on my Nike app. I usually start to get shin splints when it's time to retire a pair.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I love this post!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)
    12/5: 6.8k
    12/6: 6.8k intervals

23.8/120k

Take care all!
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    01-Dec 1.23
    02-Dec 2.19
    03-Dec 1.28
    04-Dec 1.09
    05-Dec 1.18
    06-Dec 1.55 this morning meets with what I hope is just a minor issue… but it sure didn’t feel like a minor issue at the time. I was only about ½ mile into my run when I got a sharp pain in my right foot, I walked for about a minute, then tried a slow jog…. No relief. The pain is located on the mid foot, towards the outside…. Any ideas, thoughts??????

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Brrrr! Our temp has dropped since this morning and looks like sun is not happening after all. But I will still enjoy my afternoon run after work :) Did some strength training this morning.

I got to 275 miles on my Nike Pegasus 31 and 350 on my Brooks Ghost 7 and started having shin pain and knee pain. They both look great, like I could go another 300 miles. But I'm trying new shoes to see if I feel better. And because I had new shoes in the closet for months and was dying to wear them. Ha!

Anybody else having trouble viewing pics? Been going on for about a week for me, both on the computer and my phone app. Like right now I can see @mnlittlefinn 's shoe pic, but I cannot see @ddmom0811 's Santa pic :(

Oh, pics are back. Cute Santa pic :-D