Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    alipsie19 wrote: »
    @OSUbuckeye906
    I'm a Wolverine fan, but, please beat Bama this year! :smile:

Purdue (B1G) grad here living in Alabama. lol Rooting for the Buckeyes!!!!!

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Hi guys, do you have a particular type of gloves to suggest? I tried many different ones, but my hands freeze super easilly even at 3-4C and before investing more money I thought to ask for an advice.

I get a lot of use out of plain, cheap work gloves like these. When it gets single digit (F) cold, I can wear a tighter fitting pair of knit gloves inside a pair of these. They're not the most stylish, but if you lose one you're not going to be upset about it. They're great as throwaways on race days too.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/6- 5.01
    12/7- 3.01

Total: 34.4

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: 3.01 miles running. Ran it on the treadmill because I was going to be in the gym for my XT anyway. Today was Burpee Death Drop day. Just a reminder, it looked like this:

5 burpees -> 10 inch worm
    5 burpees -> 20 jumping jacks
    5 burpees -> 30 push ups
    5 burpees -> 40 squats
    5 burpees -> 50 high kicks (per leg)
    5 burpees -> 60 calf raises
    5 burpees -> 70 starter jumps
    5 burpees -> 80 skaters
    5 burpees -> 90 push jacks
    5 burpees -> 100 skaters
    5 burpees -> 100 skaters
    5 burpees -> 90 push jacks
    5 burpees -> 80 skaters
    5 burpees -> 70 starter jumps
    5 burpees -> 60 calf raises
    5 burpees -> 50 high kicks (per leg)
    5 burpees -> 40 squats
    5 burpees -> 30 push ups
    5 burpees -> 20 jumping jacks
    5 burpees -> 10 inch worm

You know this was killer for me when the Burpees became one of the easier things for me at the end. I think it took me like 45-50 minutes to complete this, and I was just trashed at the end. That said, no hip problems and no soreness now, but I have a feeling that DOMS could be really "fun" tomorrow.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I just realized that today is my Runniversary, or, at least the day of the run I count as it. A year ago today, I ran my first sub-33 5k, and averaged 10:00/mile for the full 3.24mi run, despite actually running intervals of running and walking. Since then, I've run 2 half marathons, 2 5ks (incliding a 23:322 PB), a 10k, over 1000 miles, and signed and began training for my first Marathon. A year ago, I NEVER would have thought I would have done that.

HAPPY RUNNIVERSARY!!!! I am so sorry, I am trying to catch up everyone!!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4 - lazy
    12/5 - 3 miles
    12/6 - I'm a baby 0
    12/7 - 3 miles

6 out of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the thread. I just got my treadmill today so I don't need to shut down my running over the winter this year!

I'll set a fairly arbitrary goal of 50 miles for December. So far I'm at 5.1

I'm curious how often everyone replaces their sneakers? Is it by mileage, time, wear? Does running on a treadmill help them last longer?

Good luck to everyone!

Good question.

To start, I have multiple pairs that I rotate through during the week. And they are all in varied states or closeness to retirement on purpose. Some only have a few miles, some have a midlife amount of mileage, and some are ready to be retired. My longer runs I prefer to use my newer shoes while I use my older shoes for my shorter easier runs.

On average, shoes should last between 300-500 miles. That depends on the brand and shoe type, your body make up (heavier people wear shoes faster), the care you give them, and your running style. I normally will retire them if they get near 500. Some I have to retire a bit short because they just no longer feel right. Others I notice will continue to feel good well beyond 500 miles. I think my longest lasting shoe was slightly above 600 miles before I retired them.

One more thing to add, I am not the type of person that has a very selective brand or style. They are all different, because I am cheap and try to find deals. I do prefer New Balance and Asics though. I notice that with all the different brands and styles I wear, my feet have gotten used to running in a large array of shoes. Change in foot drop or cushion does not effect me like most other people because of that.

• lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles
    12/3: 3.15 miles (m)
    12/4: Rest Day
    12/5: 5 miles (2 + 3) (treadmill)
    12/6: 4 miles (m)
    12/7: 4 miles

My Total/December: 22.15 miles
    Mike's Total: 7.15 miles

Monday morning the rain forced me to run the treadmill. I managed to slug through 5 miles in two sessions. I really have to get some rain gear. Winter in Houston is very rainy and I don't want to spend half of it inside. I really think I just need a decent lightweight, waterproof jacket and a hat. I might also need a second pair of running shoes so I can alternate when one is wet.

The last two days we took a different route and ran down by the lake. It is a nice run and Fergus seems to enjoy watching the water fowl as we go by. It is not a loop, so I go out a couple of miles and then turn around and come back. My other route is a 5 mile loop which I do prefer, but this one only has one street to cross and fewer schools to pass. It is a nice change of scenery and I will probably start alternating routes.

It has been a busy couple of days and I see I have missed over 200 posts! GOod grief! I have to make sure I check in here every day so I don't get behind like this! Going to try to catch up on comments. So sorry if I missed something!

@9voice9 Nice job on your Reindeer Run!

@loyalloo, @showjumper, @Strandbergm, @accn1, @sandsarita, @angmarie28 and any other new folks - Welcome!

@ariceroni Glad your recovery is going well.

@BeeerRunner, @alipsie19 & @garygse Look at all you DFW folks. I guess I picked the wrong Texas city when I moved here! LOL!

@greenolivetree Not sure about your watch's GPS. My watch uses my phone's GPS though and I carry my phone in a pocket or zippered pouch usually which doesn't seem to interfere with the GPS too much. I lose the connection once in a while, but it is rare.

@Orphia Nice going on your half!

@Calvin2008Brian & @shanaber A little late - Happy birthday!

@7lenny7 Those donuts look delicious! Hope you enjoyed 'em. Kody looks like he wanted one, too!

@Virkati I hope your interview went well!

@RespectTheKitty I am with you on Chicago having some of the worst drivers. I drive the way that I drive because I learned in Chicago looking out for all the crazy drivers on the road! I remember the first few days of snowfall were always the worst; everyone forgot how to drive it in from the previous year! Also, I'll second what others have said on depression. Share away. We are here for you. :)

@MNLittleFinn Congrats on the Runniversary! You are rocking it!

@ddmom0811 Be careful out there! Glad you are ok and nice going getting back out there and finishing your run!

@katharmonic Great Santa pic! Seriously, are you SURE we're the same age? LOL

@OSUbuckeye906 Re: Sports - For the pro teams I am a Chicago girl all the way - Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks and Bulls! If I followed college sports (which I really don't) I would probably be an OSU fan even though I went to Purdue. My dad has always been a big Buckeye fan and at least a little of it rubbed off! :)

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 - Ouch! Hope it is just skinned hands / knees.
    @accn1 - Hmmm...don't remember when I first started here. I think August or September 2014. @davemunger was organizing it and @stoshew71 was in it. So at least 26 months. I ebb and flow a little. It is a wonderful "place"!

Yup, I miss Dave's group.

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Would it be insane if I attempted to run a mile indoors, not on a treadmill (because I don't have one). Geez, I really don't want to go outside today! I just don't. It's sooooo dreary, 36F but feels like 28F with 10mph wind. Aargh!
  • Stoshew71
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December
    12/1 6 miles - 6
    12/2 4 miles - 10
    12/3 12 miles - 22
    12/4 REST DAY
    12/5 5 miles - 27
    12/6 4 miles - 31
    12/7 REST DAY

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

So today is the start of my carb load. 285 grams of carbs out of 760 down so far.
    Tracking it via my food library. I haven't logged food on here since I maintained except during carb load days.

Sorry that I have been delinquent last few days. A lot going on. Not too bore you with any of that, I am 3 days away from RCM. Starting to get real. I think I am caught up on everyone's posts. Sorry that I didn't reply to all, but I scanned through most of it.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My Running coach/Aunt just told me to slow down. She wants me running 10:40 pace on my long runs, the 10:20 I ran on Saturday was faster than she wants.....ugh...I know it's good having a trainer, but man, I'm going to have to get used to running slower and having someone call me on it when I go too fast.
    @MNLittleFinn That's why I don't think I'd do well with a coach. To me, 10:20 and 10:40 are essentially the same. Happy Runniversary, BTW! You're kickin' kitten!!

patrikc333 wrote: »
    Hi guys, do you have a particular type of gloves to suggest? I tried many different ones, but my hands freeze super easilly even at 3-4C and before investing more money I thought to ask for an advice.

@patrikc333 I think it's such an individual thing that it'd be hard to make a suggestion. I have 3 different pair of different weights, the thickest being a pair of touchscreen compatible gloves I bought at Costco this year. If it gets too cold or windy for those, I switch to mittens, my favorite being a pair of "glommits" which make it easy to regulate the heat, particularly when storing a chemical hand warmer in the finger portion of the mitt. So I guess my suggestion is to get 2 or 3 pair of different weight gloves as well as a pair of mittens.

My Costco gloves:
    4dq189nnds6a.jpg

@Stoshew71 enjoy the carbo load! What types of foods are you using for that?

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I don't think I realized that your marathon is this weekend. Best of luck! I think I speak for all of us when I say that I'm sure you will crush it!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@Stoshew71 enjoy the carbo load! What types of foods are you using for that?

I believe my diary is open.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Last night Kody & I got out for a 5.4 mile run. I'm happy to report that my new wind briefs did the job! It was 16F actual, 2F wind chill, with winds gusting to 32mph so not the best conditions. I don't mind cold at all but the wind gets a bit annoying.

Kody was a bit annoying too. We stopped at the park half a block away so he could take care of business. Evidently he was constipated and I must have waited for him to finish for 3 or 4 minutes. That wind was quickly taking my heat away. I finally started jogging up and down the sidewalk while I waited, trying to warm up but by then it was too late. He finally finished but my finger tips and ears lobes were already numb. I ran about a quarter mile hoping it would warm me up but gave up, went home, got a pair of glommits and a thin face mask and went back out. Once I finally did get warmed up it was very comfortable.

Looking ahead to next week, I see a day where I might be running in -5F temps, -20F wind chill. I may adjust my schedule if the wind is really going to be that strong.

u99rjdnmf94t.jpeg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 I like warm hands so I went with some Burtons
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 - good job girl! We have a kitty in my complex who I swear waits for me to get home from the gym every night. My neighbor actually told me where his key is so I can let her in.
    @OSUbuckeye906, @lporter229, @Stoshew71 - yes it would have been cool to have 2 Big 10 teams in, but hey I'll take 4 in the top 10 any year! Go Buckeyes!
    @ariceroni - good luck on your finals!!
    @9voice9 - running in Japan is as fun as it is in Germany; you get to run with the smell of all the food cooking in the air...and Japan in the winter is beautiful!
    @jodilynnsanders5104 - looks like recovery is going well
    @BeeerRunner - how's Chicago?
    @MNLittleFinn, @Orphia - happy runnversary!
    @ddmom0811 - way to gut it out!
    @greenolivetree - that would be a ton of laps around the coffee table!
    @Stoshew71 - good luck this weekend!

Quite sure I forgot something and/or someone. Please don't feel offended. Love reading y'alls posts and often just get so caught up in them I forget to make notes.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Would it be insane if I attempted to run a mile indoors, not on a treadmill (because I don't have one). Geez, I really don't want to go outside today! I just don't. It's sooooo dreary, 36F but feels like 28F with 10mph wind. Aargh!

@greenolivetree I'd love to see that route on your Garmin.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I once tried to run in my backyard. I don't remember why. But it sucked. I ended up doing sprints and only getting like .83 in before I gave up.