December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    6wgu8x24p0xi.png

Well I clicked treadmill run on my vivoactive so as to not confuse GPS indoors, but basically it was 20 laps from one side of my office building to the other, round-trip. So not a circle. And not a straight line. I had to turn left/right/left one way and then reverse it going back. I walk a mile in my building frequently so it actually wasn't bad because it went faster! I usually don't mind cold but the dreary gets me.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - Hahahaha! You burned a shot of Jack! Glad you reversed, so as to avoid repetitive stress injury :wink:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 Re: Sports - For the pro teams I am a Chicago girl all the way - Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks and Bulls! If I followed college sports (which I really don't) I would probably be an OSU fan even though I went to Purdue. My dad has always been a big Buckeye fan and at least a little of it rubbed off! :)

@lissadecker Cool! Fellow Boiler. School of Science '95.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @garygse ha ha love it!
    @greenolivetree I thought you were running in your house. Okay did you actually run up and down the hallways ha ha!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Why do life events conspire to put me in a hard position? I received a text from my sister that my BIL got his placement for a Cardiology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic. Now My thoughts of running the Med City Half Marathon have been rekindled....PROBLEM: it's 20 days before my marathon. 2 options,

OPTION 1: Be totally smart and not run it (not nearly as fun, but probably smarter)
    OPTION 2: Run it with a goal pace somewhere in the mid to upper 9:00-10:00 range to use it as a gauge of what pace MIGHT POSSIBLY be

I have until December 31 to decide before the price goes up. The race is Memorial day weekend, so it would be a great way to run in the morning, then spend time with family the rest of the day.

Am I totally out of my mind considering running it?

Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/7150335
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Why do life events conspire to put me in a hard position? I received a text from my sister that my BIL got his placement for a Cardiology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic. Now My thoughts of running the Med City Half Marathon have been rekindled....PROBLEM: it's 20 days before my marathon. 2 options,

OPTION 1: Be totally smart and not run it (not nearly as fun, but probably smarter)
    OPTION 2: Run it with a goal pace somewhere in the mid to upper 9:00-10:00 range to use it as a gauge of what pace MIGHT POSSIBLY be

I have until December 31 to decide before the price goes up. The race is Memorial day weekend, so it would be a great way to run in the morning, then spend time with family the rest of the day.

3 weeks out should not be a problem, IF, you can stay on pace. Can you find someone to do it with you that will keep you from running it too fast? In all honesty, that is the main thing. If you can run this thing and resist the urge to get caught up in the race environment and run faster than you should, it should be no problem. If you end up running it and PRing saying " Well, I know I went faster than I should have, but it felt right and I feel good...yada, yada, yada..." it will probably spell disaster for your marathon. If you think you can exercise some restraint, then I say Go For It!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

3 weeks out should not be a problem, IF, you can stay on pace. Can you find someone to do it with you that will keep you from running it too fast? In all honesty, that is the main thing. If you can run this thing and resist the urge to get caught up in the race environment and run faster than you should, it should be no problem. If you end up running it and PRing saying " Well, I know I went faster than I should have, but it felt right and I feel good...yada, yada, yada..." it will probably spell disaster for your marathon. If you think you can exercise some restraint, then I say Go For It!

That was kind of my thoughts....

My brother might be running it with me, if I run it so, unless he gets in way better shape, my pace could even be slower. If he runs it with me, it will be no problem, if He doesn't, I'm partially thinking that forcing myself to stay on pace for the HM would be good practice for not rushing out too fast for the full. Having a goal race will help in that respect, knowing that the HM is just "for fun" lets me have a different mindset.
  • greenolivetree
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree I thought you were running in your house. Okay did you actually run up and down the hallways ha ha!

LOL Yep. I'm here alone today. I would never do this with other people around :-o So basically it was .05 for each full trip to from west side to east side and back. 20 times back and forth. I think at home I'd have to run 100 laps around my kitchen and living room (it's a big loop or um, small loop).

@_nikkiwolf_ If it had been snowing, I would gone out just to say it was my first time running in snow :-D We may get a few flakes later but I doubt it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd want to have my longest training run, about 20 miles, at 3 weeks out, not a 13 mile run. If you want to have the HM race be any sort of indication of your FM performance, then you'd want to taper for it, meaning your longest training run is now 5 weeks before the FM. This is how it ended up for me because of an injury and it was definitely not ideal.

What does your coach think?

If the FM is your main focus, ultimately you need to decide if the HM will help that effort or hurt that effort.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree I can't believe you didn't post pictures of your course :wink: Glad you kept your streak alive!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - LOL - love it!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I did accidentally turn on the gps once walking in the building and it was such a tiny little path you couldn't really see a thing! I'm just glad I kept the streak going. I was actually working up a sweat, running/jogging in jeans and a sweater. LOL I had on my Ghost 7s though so good shoes :)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Can't keep up with the thread this week! I won't be any better as I head towards the weekend either, as I'm away. I promise I'll be a better participant next week :)

Another club run tonight, loving it even more now I've been there long enough that I recognise people and can chat away.

December Running Challenge

2nd - 3.06 miles
    3rd - 11.02 miles
    6th - 3.04 miles
    7th - 5.19 miles

MTD - 22.31/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Last pt visit today. Now I'm waiting on a company assigned pt to do a return to work assessment.

I asked about running today. The response was "Maybe in 12 weeks". Crap on a cracker! A nerve was cut to the medial glute... Sooo, it's taking forever to figure out how to use it... Crap.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree Great that you kept up the streak! 20 laps in an office building with hallways sounds less crazy than 200 laps in the living room.

@MNLittleFinn I agree with @7lenny7 , I would want to do one of the long long runs three weeks before the race. I only ran one marathon, so I'm hardly an expert, but that worked for me the one time I did it ;)
    I guess if you absolutely want to run (not race!) that half marathon, you could run 7 miles on your own first and plan at such that those miles lead you to the start of the half course just in time. That way it would be like a 20 mi long run, and since you already ran 7 miles before the start, you would be less tempted to go out too fast.

--

I got lucky with the weather tonight - I was faffing about long enough that when I finally went out, a thick fog had decended, which somehow translated into milder temperatures (barely below 0°C/30°F). Sometimes fog annoys me, sometimes I think it's magical and beautiful - tonight it was the latter. I didn't go very fast, because the visibility was really poor, but I passed by a lot of houses with Christmas decorations in the last third of my run and loved how the lights shown through the mist.

6gATp1.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! :'(
    I was really hoping for you that your PT would clear you for running. Can you at least cycle? Maybe you can also ask the company PT for a second opinion, if you aren't sure your PT is right.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! :'(
    I was really hoping for you that your PT would clear you for running. Can you at least cycle? Maybe you can also ask the company PT for a second opinion, if you aren't sure your PT is right.

The company pt is just assessing weather or not I can do my job. I'll let the surgeon make the running assessment in February.

I can walk, cycle, swim and lift. Dag-gum everything but run!

Thanks for your sympathies!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @Elise4270 so sorry :( what an ordeal.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Monday, December 5th: 2 miles (power walk during lunch break)
    Tuesday, December 6th: 4 miles (treadmill, on hill setting)

I have a question for all y'all: I'm doing my first half marathon in April 2017. When I first started losing weight, I walked A LOT (think 4 miles every morning and 2 miles in the evening, all outdoors), but since I started lifting weights, I have fallen off the walking/jogging/running bandwagon. So I'm not a newbie to running but I haven't really done any active running for a couple months. Are there any programs that I could follow that can help me build back my endurance up for the half?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I can walk, cycle, swim and lift. Dag-gum everything but run!

Thanks for your sympathies!

@Elise4270 so sorry to hear that!

This is what Elise will be doing if those doctors don't clear her soon!

https://youtu.be/1PrR4PjDF8M