The illusive 6 pack

Options

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A calorie deficit.

And pick up heavy stuff to develop muscles.

And dedication
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I love how overly simplified the advice for getting abs is. If it was really that easy so many more people would be walking around with 6 packs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I love how overly simplified the advice for getting abs is. If it was really that easy so many more people would be walking around with 6 packs.

It's not really the process that is hard, it's the implementation of the process that is very difficult. It is just really difficult to get that lean for a lot of people. And when some do, they don't have adequate body composition to achieve the aesthetic they desire.

Having said that, I don't have a six pack yet due to my body fat % is too high.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    For my 6 pack to appear definitively, it took 12-16 weeks of hard dieting. This was usually for competitions. Do I have a 6 pack now? Not even close. A distinguished 2-4 pack if I flex. All a 6 pack denotes is that you have low body fat. And staying that low take A LOT of effort for me. Meaning that I feel pretty miserable for the last 6 weeks of diet prep. Not worth it IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It's not really the process that is hard, it's the implementation of the process that is very difficult. It is just really difficult to get that lean for a lot of people. And when some do, they don't have adequate body composition to achieve the aesthetic they desire.

Agreed. It took a lot of hard work (cardio and lifting), dedication and discipline (logging cals and controlling diet daily) to produce visible abs, especially at my advanced age of 66.

FWIW, my last hydro test (just a few days ago in December) had me at 12.1% BF/161# down from 16.9%/166# from 2 months in late September.

My DXA scan in August was 20.3%/172#, October 16.0%/167# and November 16.4%/162#. Just "knew" that the last DXA BF% results were WRONG because they didn't synch with the others. Took the hydro test again this month to refute those results and to confirm the trend, as well as what my instincts told me.

This is the lowest in BF%/weight that I've had since 4 years ago when I was at 12.5%/158# but this time I've got more LBM (141.5 vs 138.15) and a little less fat (19.5 vs 19.85). My LBM went up on a deficit diet and I've done this twice over the past 4 years, which I mainly attribute to my high protein diet (40%) and heavy lifting program.

The even harder part now will be maintaining my BF/weight at these levels which will be my goal from now on.

• boxa00
    boxa00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How do you find out my body weight fat %. I used to have a set of scales that told me however I never really believed it was accurate and the ex took them. !!

I'm doing 2 days of boxing training and 3 days weight training which includes front squats and deadlifts.

I'm already lean now it's just harder to get leaner.

It's the Christmas time dinners and business lunches that are weighing me down (pardon the pun).

Time to start taking my own food to the next event......
  • psuLemon
    Options
    boxa00 wrote: »
    How do you find out my body weight fat %. I used to have a set of scales that told me however I never really believed it was accurate and the ex took them. !!

I'm doing 2 days of boxing training and 3 days weight training which includes front squats and deadlifts.

It's the Christmas time dinners and business lunches that are weighing me down (pardon the pun).

The most accurate way is DXA scan or Hydostatic. A semi-accurate is get a trained professional to do a multi-point caliper test (I prefer at least 7-9).

IRT your weight training, are you following a self designed program or is it a proven structured program?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    For my 6 pack to appear definitively, it took 12-16 weeks of hard dieting. This was usually for competitions. Do I have a 6 pack now? Not even close. A distinguished 2-4 pack if I flex. All a 6 pack denotes is that you have low body fat. And staying that low take A LOT of effort for me. Meaning that I feel pretty miserable for the last 6 weeks of diet prep. Not worth it IMO.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have a similar experience. I also have to say that in order to achieve a six pack it requires me to lose the extra oomph from my face. While i appreciate the abs, i don't think the rest of my body looks it's best at that level of body fat. And of course, it is completely unsustainable for me. I actually usually maintain in the low 20's of body fat.
  • rainbowbow
    edited December 2016
    Options

The most accurate way is DXA scan or Hydostatic. A semi-accurate is get a trained professional to do a multi-point caliper test (I prefer at least 7-9).

IRT your weight training, are you following a self designed program or is it a proven structured program?

In addition to the two accurate methods i'd add in order of accuracy:
    Dexa Scan
    Hydrostatic Weighing
    Bod Pod
    (all of these can be done in a physicians office for around $100)
    Calipers (done by someone else not yourself, and a 9 point test)
    BIA devices (scales, handheld, etc.)
    Visual

In any case, depending on your current level of body fat i've heard good things about the stubborn fat loss protocol by lyle mcdonald. I personally can't handle stimulants (caffiene or yohimbine) so I couldn't do it.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Damn it. It's Christmas season. Food tastes to good.

Pretty much why no one cuts during xmas time.

I tried.... It gave the biggest case of the sads... :cry:
  • boxa00
    boxa00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to any of those methods. So for the time being I'll stick with the mirror.

I have done my own programme. I programme that I have used before so I know it works. I just started this programme It's basic but effective and I will change the exercises every 8 weeks.

Day 1. Chest and triceps
    Day 2. Boxing
    Day 3. Rest
    Day 4. Back and biceps
    Day 5. Legs and shoulders
    Day 6. Boxing
    Day 7. Rest or core.

3-4 exercises per muscle. 3 sets x 6 reps. 60 second rest between sets.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I don't have access to any of those methods. So for the time being I'll stick with the mirror.

I have done my own programme. I programme that I have used before so I know it works. I just started this programme It's basic but effective and I will change the exercises every 8 weeks.

Day 1. Chest and triceps
    Day 2. Boxing
    Day 3. Rest
    Day 4. Back and biceps
    Day 6. Boxing
    Day 7. Rest or core.

Considering you are only training muscles 1x per week, it's going to be largely inefficient compared to other programs. Ideally, you should be training body parts 2 or 3x a week. This will maximize protein synthesis and CNS adaptations. I would highly look at the below list and choose a full body routine that fits your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Day 1. Chest and triceps
    Day 2. Boxing
    Day 3. Rest
    Day 4. Back and biceps
    Day 6. Boxing
    Day 7. Rest or core.

Considering you are only training muscles 1x per week, it's going to be largely inefficient compared to other programs. Ideally, you should be training body parts 2 or 3x a week. This will maximize protein synthesis and CNS adaptations. I would highly look at the below list and choose a full body routine that fits your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Although, I would point out that if the goal is strictly aesthetic (abs being visible) this can be achieved through low body fat alone.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Day 1. Chest and triceps
    Day 2. Boxing
    Day 3. Rest
    Day 4. Back and biceps
    Day 6. Boxing
    Day 7. Rest or core.

Although, I would point out that if the goal is strictly aesthetic (abs being visible) this can be achieved through low body fat alone.

Fair point. It's why bro-splits still "work"
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Day 1. Chest and triceps
    Day 2. Boxing
    Day 3. Rest
    Day 4. Back and biceps
    Day 6. Boxing
    Day 7. Rest or core.

pretty much. Although i agree and personally train lower/upper multiple times a week myself. ;)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Having said that, I don't have a six pack yet due to my body fat % is too high.

But see, that's my point. Everyone still gives the standard "caloric deficit and lift weights" answer, but no one tells you about how to handle the meticulous meal prep, balancing hormones & hunger, and the little things that go along. Then people get frustrated because they think the answer is so simple and they beat themselves up because they can't get there. Where as if they had the full understanding of just how difficult it can be from most people to get there and even more so to maintain, they might set a more realistic approach.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Day 1. Chest and triceps
    Day 2. Boxing
    Day 3. Rest
    Day 4. Back and biceps
    Day 6. Boxing
    Day 7. Rest or core.

As bro-splits go, this is fairly poorly designed.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have a similar experience. I also have to say that in order to achieve a six pack it requires me to lose the extra oomph from my face. While i appreciate the abs, i don't think the rest of my body looks it's best at that level of body fat. And of course, it is completely unsustainable for me. I actually usually maintain in the low 20's of body fat.

Yep. I got lean enough in the Spring, through deficit & lifting, to have a solid 4 pack. It's was cool but I also lost what little bust I had. Now maintaining about 5 lbs heavier at 21% body fat. Bust is back-yay! And, I like the muscle I've built in my legs. I'm okay with it :)
    I still have some ab definition. Got some solid obliques going on. But, not as ripped as I was when under 20% body fat. Men can cut for abs and build their chest muscles.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    But see, that's my point. Everyone still gives the standard "caloric deficit and lift weights" answer, but no one tells you about how to handle the meticulous meal prep, balancing hormones & hunger, and the little things that go along. Then people get frustrated because they think the answer is so simple and they beat themselves up because they can't get there. Where as if they had the full understanding of just how difficult it can be from most people to get there and even more so to maintain, they might set a more realistic approach.

Seems like you have that understanding now.

It's easy to figure out what you need to do and hard for most of us to implement it. You can easily find out what to do and how to do it on the Net. That's where I found the info I use. However, no one can tell you what will work for you. You have to figure it out yourself.

I'm a contrarian by nature and chose a path that most people discourage (mostly because of myth and group think IMO) but it has worked for me - - more by luck than design. However, truth be told, developing abs were the LAST thing on my mind.

My objective was simply to lose weight/fat and gain strength. I achieved that and the bonus prize was the ab definition. So, perhaps, if you don't focus on the abs so much, you might become less frustrated and achieve them in the process as did I

Good luck!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

In addition to the two accurate methods i'd add in order of accuracy:
    Dexa Scan
    Hydrostatic Weighing
    Bod Pod
    (all of these can be done in a physicians office for around $100)
    Calipers (done by someone else not yourself, and a 9 point test)
    BIA devices (scales, handheld, etc.)
    Visual

In any case, depending on your current level of body fat i've heard good things about the stubborn fat loss protocol by lyle mcdonald. I personally can't handle stimulants (caffiene or yohimbine) so I couldn't do it.

I think I'd almost put visual up towards the top of the list. If it's any help I did a little comparison a few months ago of several body composition methods and none of them were too far off, with visual being cheap, easy and fairly accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442509/body-composition-method-comparison#latest