Options
1234568»

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Carbs help build this bod.. so for me... no.

Yes - but something tells me you dont take in 200g of carbs per day consisting of pizza and pasta and cake. Plus from the look of you - you look like you workout a lot. You look great. But you are not the average person most people do not workout that hard each day and cannot support lots of extra carbs.

I agree carbs are fine - IF - you control them. Like everything else. Funny thing happened. I was not losing. So I looked at my food logs. I was around 120g per day on an average day. So I dropped to around 75g per day - I starting losing weight again and found I did not have sugar cravings anymore.

200g+ of carbs from cake, pizza, and pasta are awesome for putting on muscle.
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out for weight loss. If you're looking to build lean mass then you'll need to increase your protein intake and slightly reduce your carb intake.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The only problem with "boxed" carbs is overeating them.

I've got a similar problem with boxed wine :)

(home brew and it's just easier to box it then bottle it, honest).
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Yes - but something tells me you dont take in 200g of carbs per day consisting of pizza and pasta and cake. Plus from the look of you - you look like you workout a lot. You look great. But you are not the average person most people do not workout that hard each day and cannot support lots of extra carbs.

I agree carbs are fine - IF - you control them. Like everything else. Funny thing happened. I was not losing. So I looked at my food logs. I was around 120g per day on an average day. So I dropped to around 75g per day - I starting losing weight again and found I did not have sugar cravings anymore.

200g+ of carbs from cake, pizza, and pasta are awesome for putting on muscle.

Yes.. yes they are! They are also amazing for a postpartum mother who is nursing her baby.. so double win if you ask me, yay!

That is win-win. It was so long ago but carbs were certainly my friend postpartum. Unfortunately, were were a little too friendly and it was pre-MFP. :D
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes - but something tells me you dont take in 200g of carbs per day consisting of pizza and pasta and cake.

200 g isn't that much.

Pizza -- probably about half fat.

Pasta -- depends on what is eaten with it, but ranges from something like carbonara (probably more than half of the calories from fat) to a balanced meal like I often make, with (say) shrimp and lots of vegetables and a bit of olive oil (balanced macros, and I'd like to know why that would be a "meal to avoid").

Cake -- again, about half fat.

Why are these used to say that carbs specifically are a problem, rather than examples of often high cal foods that people might overeat that include a mix of macros?
    Plus from the look of you - you look like you workout a lot. You look great. But you are not the average person most people do not workout that hard each day and cannot support lots of extra carbs.

What causes weight gain is excess calories, not a particular carb percentage.

You're so right there..
    Which is why I think programs like weight watchers and slimming world work. They minimise fat rather than carbs and up protein. I've just noticed I take in about 200g of carbs a day. When I was having it from vegetables only I was constantly hungry. Now having more complex carbs and pulses I seem to last a bit longer!

Carb it up!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I don't look like Hornsby, but don't think I look awful for a 54 year old woman either.

I get anywhere from 150-200 (or more) grams of carbs a day.

Sometimes that is indeed in pasta or cookies or chocolate. A good whack of it is popcorn, that's for sure.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    logiatype wrote: »
    Calories in Calories out for weight loss. If you're looking to build lean mass then you'll need to increase your protein intake and slightly reduce your carb intake.

Incorrect. If you're looking to build lean mass, you need to increase your calorie intake and have adequate protein and carb intake. Carbs are important for building muscle, and also important for fueling your workouts. Protein needs are higher in a deficit than they are in a surplus.
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Actually carbs are super important when bulking... not only for energy when lifting but for muscle building as well. Protein is more important when in deficit for muscle retention.

Not talking about bulking; I mentioned weight loss. If you're trying to maintain or build lean muscle on a deficit, you've gotta bump up your protein.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    carbs make you hungry. So you eat more carbs. You don't use the extra-hungry calories, and they turn into fat.

Carbs don't make me more hungry, in fact I find them very filling. I eat a carb heavy diet and I hit my calorie targets. It works well for me :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Actually carbs are super important when bulking... not only for energy when lifting but for muscle building as well. Protein is more important when in deficit for muscle retention.

Not talking about bulking; I mentioned weight loss. If you're trying to maintain or build lean muscle on a deficit, you've gotta bump up your protein.

And there's still no need to reduce your carb intake, whether bulking or cutting. Unless maybe you're talking about pre-contest prep for bodybuilders, which is relevant to maybe .00001% of people.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

"Bump up your protein" is pretty generic advice though. Maybe for the average person who doesn't eat protein? For me I keep it the same whether I am bulking, cutting or maintaining. Sorry not picking on you just clarifying
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Firstly all muscle is lean. Secondly, other then some specific instances, you are not building muscle in a deficit. Thirdly, you can't eat your way to muscle gain without working hard in the gym. So much emphasis is put on diet and not enough on training IMO...
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight, have maintained that loss, all while paying no attention to the amount of carbs I eat. Which is probably a pretty good amount since I love my carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

You are actually better off with carbs than fat in a cut if you want to build muscle. There are really 3 things that activate MPS and its insulin, mechanical stress and leucine. Ultimately carbs and protein are muscle building/sparring while fat is not.