Opinions on diet soda

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    I worked in a hospital for 15yrs & the docs tell me it increases your chances for brain annyrism
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Diet soda tastes like death and sadness.

But it's not harmful and if you can get past the awful, awful taste, it can be a great replacement for higher calorie beverages.

It seriously depends on personal taste as well as which ones you've tried.

Diet Coke tastes like crap, yet Coke Zero tastes almost identical to the real thing. Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale was tops until they changed the formula, I find the generic stuff to be delicious. Diet Barq's Root Beer is superb.

Not all diet sodas have that "diet taste".

I'm glad you've found artificial sweeteners that don't taste chemical-y to you (I really am, no snark). But I have yet to find anything that doesn't taste like a cat puked up a meth lab :D. Hypersensitive taste buds perhaps, lol. I'll stick with unsweetened teas or coffe with cream for my non-water, non-alcohol beverages. But enjoy! Certainly no harm in diet sodas!

It took a lot of trial and error, there are plenty I tried that are just nasty. It's such a relief to fimd what works, I'm off caffeine, so unsweetened tea is no longer an option for me - it was my go to when out to eat. You're a "supertaster", I'm a "supersmeller" :-)
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Lanet27 wrote: »
    I try to avoid them. Whenever I'm craving it, I carbonate some water add some ice and little bit of lemon or lime juice. It tastes amazing and at the same time I'm avoiding all the sugars (or aspartame)and harmful substance in sodas.

Which harmful substances would those be?

I generally try to avoid aspartame or artificial sweeteners when possible. I honestly don't like the taste and it seems to give me a headaches. I used to put it in my coffee to save some calories, but ever since changing to sugar/honey I've noticed a difference. I know that correlation ≠ causation, but in my own personal experience the switch helped to ameliorate my symptoms. Call it placebo effect, or whatnot, I'm just trusting my body.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    no, docs i talked to on regular basis.Aspartame is very bad for you, there have been studies. You can research it
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    no, docs i talked to on regular basis.Aspartame is very bad for you, there have been studies. You can research it

You can research it too, rather, you should research it. For aspartame to be dangerous, you'd need to drink a ridiculous number of cans of diet soda a day.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I just started a few weeks ago having 1 diet root beer a day and my face broke out (I'm 50). I have no idea whats in it that would do that but that is the only thing I've added that wasn't already in my diet.

So I'm gonna say its evil:).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Destructo button activated.

I just added diet soda back into my diet after about 20 years without it. I am still not a fan of the after taste, but I'm acclimating to it, and it seems to be outweighing my love of the fizzy drink.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    My opinion is that Cherry Coke Zero is awesome.

Agreed. I can't find it anywhere over here anymore and that makes me a sad panda.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    daniip_la wrote: »

There have been studies. Lots of them.

And the studies support that Aspartame is harmless.

I'd advise you to read the studies for yourself instead of blindly believing everything you hear.

Seconded.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

^ I was wrong in my previous post - it's not 73 pages. It's 93 pages of studies. All supporting that aspartame is safe and harmless.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

^ Aaron_K123 is a molecular biologist. He explains in scientific detail what aspartame is, how it's processed by the body, and links to numerous studies and resources in discussing the safety of aspartame.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I try to avoid them. Whenever I'm craving it, I carbonate some water add some ice and little bit of lemon or lime juice. It tastes amazing and at the same time I'm avoiding all the sugars (or aspartame).

There is nothing wrong with aspartame.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I try to avoid them. Whenever I'm craving it, I carbonate some water add some ice and little bit of lemon or lime juice. It tastes amazing and at the same time I'm avoiding all the sugars (or aspartame).

There is nothing wrong with aspartame.

...nor sugar (as long as the calories are accounted for).