If you stop drinking Diet soda will you lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    rpsetser2 wrote: »
    This is a loaded question. But, all other things being unchanged, dropping diet soft drinks will NOT make you lose any weight. However, there are those (like myself) that believe that diet drinks can be just as addictive as regular drinks, due to the chemicals that are used to replace the sugar (corn syrup) in other drinks. So, I would look at giving up soft drinks ALL TOGETHER, not just cutting out diet OR regular. I only drink coffee (black), water, and unsweetened tea. Occasionally, I will have a beer or 3 if I'm out with friends, and I don't do it often enough to warrant drinking low-calorie, or low-carb beers. I just drink the normal beers, because like I said, I only drink maybe 2-3 a month.

Yes, they both can be addictive because caffeine. Not sure how black coffee will help that though...

While caffeine can be addictive, a cup of black coffee is not even in the same ball park as soft drinks where health benefits/drawbacks are concerned.
    This is a loaded question. But, all other things being unchanged, dropping diet soft drinks will NOT make you lose any weight. However, there are those (like myself) that believe that diet drinks can be just as addictive as regular drinks, due to the chemicals that are used to replace the sugar (corn syrup) in other drinks. So, I would look at giving up soft drinks ALL TOGETHER, not just cutting out diet OR regular. I only drink coffee (black), water, and unsweetened tea. Occasionally, I will have a beer or 3 if I'm out with friends, and I don't do it often enough to warrant drinking low-calorie, or low-carb beers. I just drink the normal beers, because like I said, I only drink maybe 2-3 a month.

Giving up soft drinks altogether due to their potentially addictive nature, but continuing to drink coffee and beer. I don't know . . .

I drink 10 oz of coffee in the morning before my workout for a little kick (it is 4:30 after all). Drinking 2-3 beers over a 30 day period hardly qualifies as being a "beer drinker."

Caffeine is the only thing in soda that is even remotely addictive though. So it's kinda of a weird statement to say I was addicted to soda, but I drink coffee. Similarly, it would be funny if someone said I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink beer...

If you think caffeine is the ONLY addictive thing in soft drinks, you are very misinformed.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    edited December 2016
    Options

Yes, they both can be addictive because caffeine. Not sure how black coffee will help that though...

While caffeine can be addictive, a cup of black coffee is not even in the same ball park as soft drinks where health benefits/drawbacks are concerned.

Giving up soft drinks altogether due to their potentially addictive nature, but continuing to drink coffee and beer. I don't know . . .

I drink 10 oz of coffee in the morning before my workout for a little kick (it is 4:30 after all). Drinking 2-3 beers over a 30 day period hardly qualifies as being a "beer drinker."

Caffeine is the only thing in soda that is even remotely addictive though. So it's kinda of a weird statement to say I was addicted to soda, but I drink coffee. Similarly, it would be funny if someone said I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink beer...

If you think caffeine is the ONLY addictive thing in soft drinks, you are very misinformed.

Please enlighten me... and keep the name calling to yourself and grow up a bit.

Calling someone misinformed is more of an observation than name-calling. But saying that the sugar (or sugar substitutes) in soft drinks are not addictive is just plain wrong.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kejw08 wrote: »
    I have seen studies ( it's been a long time, so can't link) that suggest that the aspartame and artificial sweeteners they put in diet sodas trigger a hunger response and lead to eating more which leads to weight gain. On there own though, no they won't as long as you are careful to not eat more

@kejw08 Yes that's what seems to happen to me with artificial sweeteners. It likely has to do with some being more sensitive to the chemicals than others. It appears it doesn't happen this way with everyone though.
    Why don't you try it for yourself and find out? I've gone through periods where I don't drink it. I've never seen a change to my weight loss when I stop or start back up again, personally.

@diannethegeek

That's a great idea!

@AngieEz29

Different bodies (chemical makeup) different results when we change up things.

One thing I've found with myself is the artificial sugars can make me crave sugary foods (really any simple carbs) so that becomes a huge factor for me. Some folks don't have this effect, some do which might be why when some drop the diet pop they notice a huge difference.

Have you considered cutting back instead of cold turkey right off the bat? Sorry if I missed any posts where you mentioned doing that. You could give that a try if you're concerned, it's hard to say how it will effect you. I only know it how it effects me and I have kept no data on myself.

Good luck to you! :smiley:
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options

Please, inform us. Do you have research to back up your claims?

Yes. Google "effects of sugar or hfcs" and you will have all the evidence/research you need to keep you busy for days.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Yes. Google "effects of sugar or hfcs" and you will have all the evidence/research you need to keep you busy for days.

@Hornsby - I won't steal your thunder regarding: Earth. Flat.

eta: DOH! ninja'd by the man
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    kejw08 wrote: »
    I have seen studies ( it's been a long time, so can't link) that suggest that the aspertame and artificial sweeteners they put in diet sodas trigger a hunger response and lead to eating more which leads to weight gain. On there own though, no they won't as long as you are careful to not eat more

If you find that it increases cravings or appetite for you, then avoid it. Problem solved. It does not have that affect on most people, though, and honestly, simply tracking your calories can help you avoid overeating if you drink diet soda.

Yup. Like avacados for me. They make me crave the hell out of them...so I limit them and only buy them when I need them.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If you think caffeine is the ONLY addictive thing in soft drinks, you are a moron.

Please enlighten me... and keep the name calling to yourself and grow up a bit.

Calling someone misinformed is more of an observation than name-calling. But saying that the sugar (or sugar substitutes) in soft drinks are not addictive is just plain wrong.

Yea, no.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

You can also Google "dangers of microwave ovens" and have tons of literature to support this (extremely silly) claim. You have to do better than that.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Yes! Why....because all that crud they put in it dense. In reality it probably do much if any. I just think of diet drinks as empty calories and unhealthy. I also suspect that artificial sweeteners one day will be found as a link to diabetes. I just drink plain old boring water
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

@Hornsby - I won't steal your thunder regarding: Earth. Flat.

eta: DOH! ninja'd by the man

Come at me, brah!