If you stop drinking Diet soda will you lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    kejw08 wrote: »
    I have seen studies ( it's been a long time, so can't link) that suggest that the aspertame and artificial sweeteners they put in diet sodas trigger a hunger response and lead to eating more which leads to weight gain. On there own though, no they won't as long as you are careful to not eat more

If you find that it increases cravings or appetite for you, then avoid it. Problem solved. It does not have that affect on most people, though, and honestly, simply tracking your calories can help you avoid overeating if you drink diet soda.

Yup. Like avacados for me. They make me crave the hell out of them...so I limit them and only buy them when I need them.

This is the effect that margaritas have on me.
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I drink diet soda like it is going out of style and I have never noticed it affecting weight gain or weight loss.

Sometimes I do get the urge to eat something along with it (habitual).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you always put Bacardi in your Diet Coke then giving up Diet Coke may help you to lose weight.

That's just crazy talk.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you always put Bacardi in your Diet Coke then giving up Diet Coke may help you to lose weight.

That's just crazy talk.

I know - some things are too high a price to pay.

Cheers!
  • kentdurham
    kentdurham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 1 or 2 diet sodas a day at work -- it's a bad routine I can't seem to get myself out of. It's a nice break and I don't drink coffee. Personally, drinking one seems kind of filling to me, so I don't feel like it makes me eager to grab a snack.

I dropped 20 pounds in the last year and a half while doing this (185lbs to 165lbs) at 40 years old, so it doesn't seem to have caused a problem for me as far as weight loss goes, although I'm sure it's not doing my overall health any favors.

There have been some articles linking diet soda consumption to weight gain, but it mostly seems like correlation than causation to me. (What sort of people drink diet soda vs. water? When do they start drinking it? Are they just switching from Coke to Diet Coke but still getting the Double Whopper value meal?)

Anyway, it's probably better for your health to switch from diet soda to water, but it certainly didn't pose any weight loss problems for me..... as long as it doesn't coincide with other destructive caloric behavior (getting a diet soda AND a Snickers out of the vending machine) for you, I doubt it will either.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Yes! Why....because all that crud they put in it dense. In reality it probably do much if any. I just think of diet drinks as empty calories and unhealthy. I also suspect that artificial sweeteners one day will be found as a link to diabetes. I just drink plain old boring water

Diet soda has ZERO calories, therefore it has NO empty calories.

Secondly-the American Diabetes Association recommends diet soda, because it does not affect diabetics glucose numbers. I'm a former pre-diabetic and I drink diet soda every day. My glucose numbers are consistently under 100 now ie no longer a pre-diabetic/glucose numbers are now in the normal range.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html

But if it has 0 calories it could be empty calories since there are none. I mean you could look at the calorie and it would be empty. Right?

(Which is using as much twisted logic as those people who claim diet sodas make you gain weight.)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    Yes! Why....because all that crud they put in it dense. In reality it probably do much if any. I just think of diet drinks as empty calories and unhealthy. I also suspect that artificial sweeteners one day will be found as a link to diabetes. I just drink plain old boring water

Diet soda has ZERO calories, therefore it has NO empty calories.

Secondly-the American Diabetes Association recommends diet soda, because it does not affect diabetics glucose numbers. I'm a former pre-diabetic and I drink diet soda every day. My glucose numbers are consistently under 100 now ie no longer a pre-diabetic/glucose numbers are now in the normal range.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html

But if it has 0 calories it could be empty calories since there are none. I mean you could look at the calorie and it would be empty. Right?

(Which is using as much twisted logic as those people who claim diet sodas make you gain weight.)

Well, we do write "empty set" as: EmptySet_L.gif

Certainly looks like a variation of 0 to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rpsetser2 wrote: »
    This is a loaded question. But, all other things being unchanged, dropping diet soft drinks will NOT make you lose any weight. However, there are those (like myself) that believe that diet drinks can be just as addictive as regular drinks, due to the chemicals that are used to replace the sugar (corn syrup) in other drinks. So, I would look at giving up soft drinks ALL TOGETHER, not just cutting out diet OR regular. I only drink coffee (black), water, and unsweetened tea. Occasionally, I will have a beer or 3 if I'm out with friends, and I don't do it often enough to warrant drinking low-calorie, or low-carb beers. I just drink the normal beers, because like I said, I only drink maybe 2-3 a month.

Giving up soft drinks altogether due to their potentially addictive nature, but continuing to drink coffee and beer. I don't know . . .

Heh, ignore my post above, I should have known it would have been well-covered much more immediately!
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    There is some digression and name-calling in the thread so I'm going to skip to the end - please forgive me if I'm repeating something that's already been said.

Zero calorie drinks shouldn't affect weight-loss at all, however I have read some articles that seem to suggest that the sweetness of diet drinks triggers some kind of insulin response blah blah science I don't understand and so on, thereby prompting the drinker to consume more calories elsewhere.

I've not had a problem drinking occasional diet drinks. If I liked them more, I'd probably drink them more.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    There is some digression and name-calling in the thread so I'm going to skip to the end - please forgive me if I'm repeating something that's already been said.

Zero calorie drinks shouldn't affect weight-loss at all, however I have read some articles that seem to suggest that the sweetness of diet drinks triggers some kind of insulin response blah blah science I don't understand and so on, thereby prompting the drinker to consume more calories elsewhere.

I've not had a problem drinking occasional diet drinks. If I liked them more, I'd probably drink them more.

The whole trigger thing is BS. I'll find the link where a member here goes into it in detail.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Sara1791 wrote: »

The whole trigger thing is BS. I'll find the link where a member here goes into it in detail.

Thanks.