From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Options

Replies

• embraceyourinnerbeauty
    Options
    So Inspiring! Hope one day I can look as good as this
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    :o wow. I'm currently a size 24 and would be in disbelief to find myself a size 8. I've never been smaller than a 14! What an amazing job! You are an inspiration. I really need to add strength training to my cardio... I love walking... I get my ears on and just go. It's a good escape for me from the stresses of the day. My dog enjoys it too lol.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Beautiful dress!
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Paschen81 wrote: »
    :o wow. I'm currently a size 24 and would be in disbelief to find myself a size 8. I've never been smaller than a 14! What an amazing job! You are an inspiration. I really need to add strength training to my cardio... I love walking... I get my ears on and just go. It's a good escape for me from the stresses of the day. My dog enjoys it too lol.

That's awesome, Paschen81. Walking is great too! I love dogs, I have 4 German Shepherds. :wink:

I always say this, but strength training has so many benefits! And I should really say resistance training because calisthenics (bodyweight exercises), bands, balancing exercises, sports, like rock climbing, obstacle courses and 5k's are all really great things to do too.

I found my love in lifting weights though so that's what I did and where I have my experience. The point is, you'll be successful and it will be extremely rewarding if you find what you enjoy and pursue it wholeheartedly! :heart:

All the best to you.

Thanks everyone!
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I want to change my strength training routine to be more like yours. You said that you do 4-5 exercises for lower body and 4-5 for upper body every day. Do you do different exercises every day? If so, how do you choose which exercises? Are there some exercises you do daily?

You are incredible and a true healthy inspiration. I wanted to get down to the lowest possible weight for my height, but now that I've read your story I've realized that I want to be STRONG like you are. Strong is so much sexier than just weighing nothing. You look like you should be on tv. I don't want to be a smaller version of the heavy me, I want to build muscle.
  • FitMom662
    FitMom662 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    amazing! you are so inspiring!
  • GenElizabeth
    edited December 2016
    Options
    mila_lova wrote: »
    I want to change my strength training routine to be more like yours. You said that you do 4-5 exercises for lower body and 4-5 for upper body every day. Do you do different exercises every day? If so, how do you choose which exercises? Are there some exercises you do daily?

You are incredible and a true healthy inspiration. I wanted to get down to the lowest possible weight for my height, but now that I've read your story I've realized that I want to be STRONG like you are. Strong is so much sexier than just weighing nothing. You look like you should be on tv. I don't want to be a smaller version of the heavy me, I want to build muscle.

Hello mila,

Thank you so much for your comment. I'm flattered and very happy to hear that you want to start building that muscle! My little one is just getting over being sick here so we've recently had a rough time.. But I wanted to be sure I responded to your questions. :smile:

I will usually stick with the same exercises for awhile but I do switch things up quite a bit, I think because I get bored easily, lol.. I try to stick with compound exercises to be the bulk of my work out, no matter what though. When choosing exercises, I go with ones that focus on larger muscle groups like the glutes, hamstrings and shoulders. Squats and Over head press are great staple exercises that I do regularly. I don't do isolated core work ever for example, but that's just my preference. I've had 3 C-sections and sometimes it bothers me during exercise so I avoid extra stress on my abdominal muscles.

Daily exercises (or exercises I do at every work out) would include over head press, squats (I hate them right now) and tricep extensions. :wink:

All the best to you, you totally got this. :heart:

@FitMom662 Thank you so much. :smile:
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Nice job! You look incredible! J
  • starcrystal3
    starcrystal3 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Simply amazing. You are an inspiration!
  • tomk8
    tomk8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful!!
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    @jswigart
    @starcrystal3
    @tomk8

Thank you so much, guys! :heart:

For those who may be feeling down in the dumps and needing some motivation, here are some of my thoughts on perspective and how to navigate life's challenges, empowering you to reach your weight loss goals. I hope you guys check it out and are encouraged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPNDpEvjFwg
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    mila_lova wrote: »

Hello mila,

Thank you so much for your comment. I'm flattered and very happy to hear that you want to start building that muscle! My little one is just getting over being sick here so we've recently had a rough time.. But I wanted to be sure I responded to your questions. :smile:

I will usually stick with the same exercises for awhile but I do switch things up quite a bit, I think because I get bored easily, lol.. I try to stick with compound exercises to be the bulk of my work out, no matter what though. When choosing exercises, I go with ones that focus on larger muscle groups like the glutes, hamstrings and shoulders. Squats and Over head press are great staple exercises that I do regularly. I don't do isolated core work ever for example, but that's just my preference. I've had 3 C-sections and sometimes it bothers me during exercise so I avoid extra stress on my abdominal muscles.

Daily exercises (or exercises I do at every work out) would include over head press, squats (I hate them right now) and tricep extensions. :wink:

All the best to you, you totally got this. :heart:

@FitMom662 Thank you so much. :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that your little one was sick. I'm glad they're feeling better! Thank you SO much for answering my question! Also, I love your video! Thank you for inspiring me!!!!
  • Wife2MrPerfect
    Wife2MrPerfect Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've accomplished so much. Congratulations on all of your hard work. You are such a motivating and kind person!!
    I wish you all the success!
    Very beautiful inside and out!!

Ps -in one of your pictures you immediately reminded me of Alyssa Milano!
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    More muscle than I have. Great job!
  • thatgirl_blue
    thatgirl_blue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello MFPers!

I am 33 years old and 5'3". I started this difficult journey in Jan of 2014 at 205lbs and I had JUST hit a size 20!!! In Dec 2014, I got down to a size 8 and around 135lbs! I feel great and am loving who I am becoming now! I'm learning a TON and meeting a lot of great people in the process.

I came across MFP in June of last year. I have kept a moderate calorie deficit pretty consistently (500 or so each day), with my carbs and protein around 100g each while lifting weights regularly (in my home with my own collected equipment), 5-6 times/week. I didn't do much cardio, as I don't enjoy it. I do run on occasion though. I feel empowered now and I absolutely LOVE strength training! Planning to take new progress pics at the end of June so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Best wishes to you all, anything is possible if you don't give up! :heart:

fdfm4zk13syy.jpg

ofn9eb5b3li7.jpg

3thg10dkzn4h.jpg

mcs7xhgcpcti.jpg

jrkoda9hxmgh.png
    dum6683wmsay.jpg

Wow! You look amazing! Congrats and thanks for the inspiration.
  • bmhooks
    bmhooks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great job, how many calories do you have per day?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    WOWOWOWOW YOU LOOK INCREDIBLE!!!!
  • GenElizabeth
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I hope you guys are doing great! I am excited for the baby's first Christmas coming up. It's truly a special time for me. :heart:

I also love getting ready for the New Year, as I started my journey in January (2014). :smiley: I'm sure we all want to have more energy and feel better about the way we look. I often need extra motivation to work out every day and/or accountability to stick to my exercise and meal plan.

Wishing you ALL a great rest of your week!
    bmhooks wrote: »
    Great job, how many calories do you have per day?

Thank you. My calories were set according to my age, height, weight, activity level and other things. My lifestyle at that time was sedentary and I'm 5'3". Your actual calories will depend on those things as well and it's best to find your own number.

When I was using MFP and working out at home, I was eating between 1200-1300 calories *with a focus on adequate protein, moderate carbs and extra fiber*. That's important to note because one can eat a different type of that many calories and end up with a completely different result. There is a bit more to it than just a certain amount of calories.

Good luck to you, I hope that helps you out!

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • Catherine360
    Catherine360 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well done you truly look amazing and I would kill to have legs like yours :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!