Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just posted something on Facebook "I didn't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel- I lit that *kitten* up myself!" I am waiting- for what though. My kids are 12,14,16. I am 45. My mom died 20 years ago- I have battled (more successfully recently) eating disorders my whole life. I am sick of waiting! I'm done! Thanks for allowing me to say/type that out loud!

Now if I could just get more sleep consistently. Middle age is ....

Off to try to sleep again!

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    Yes! I just posted something on Facebook "I didn't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel- I lit that *kitten* up myself!" I am waiting- for what though. My kids are 12,14,16. I am 45. My mom died 20 years ago- I have battled (more successfully recently) eating disorders my whole life. I am sick of waiting! I'm done! Thanks for allowing me to say/type that out loud!

Now if I could just get more sleep consistently. Middle age is ....

Off to try to sleep again!
    I love that! It sounds like you're ready to take charge. Hang in there and you'll do it. The sleep...that will come. I'm a few years older than you and am just learning that I needed to relearn how to slow down and rest. You'll get there. :)
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Sorry I have been so quiet the past few days. I have been battling my own demons, so I got a little distracted and discouraged. But I'll be back full on soon. Keep being great and pushing everyday. Every little bit counts!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    eoyexqjhn9hx.jpg

What is motivation? Is it something you can get from someone else? Is it some mystic force that surrounds you like in Star Wars? How do you get it and how do you keep it?

Motivation is defined as the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way or the general desire or willingness of someone to do something. Everyone is looking for something to motivate them. Whether it be at work, at home, in their love life, but sometimes find it difficult. I know I do.

What I have learned is motivation is an internal drive. You can never really motivate someone, but you can inspire them. I say this because what motivates me, may not motivate you. So you have to look deep within to see what that might be.

For example, my motivation to stay healthy and fit is seeing what diabetes did to my mom and grandpa. How life was challenging for them and in turn became challenging for the rest of the family. I do not want to see my wife and kids go through the struggles that I did with my mom, so I do all I can to keep diabetes at bay. That's what motivate me. But for someone that has never had to deal with a family member suffering the complications of diabetes, that may not motivate them to make changes for the better.

However, my actions and determination may inspire someone to think of a struggle in their life, that could be remedied by making a simple change, and now in turn they are motivated to make a change. But it has to come from within and it has to be their choice.

So today I challenge you. What is motivating you to do what you do, or what could motivate you to make a positive change? Think about that for a few minutes, and if you are comfortable with sharing, please do.
  • Cylphin60
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My wife, my family is my motivation. If I allow (within my control) my health to fail, at my age injury is more likely, illness is always a concern....I won't be much good to them if I'm falling apart myself.

Anecdotal: I watched another family member become a massive burden on his family due to just this. He refused to take control of his health and weight, and his body eventually gave out on him, not much older than I am now.

I can't do that to the ones I love, or myself. There's always a reason to move forward, always.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Heart attacks. They run in the family and if I make it into my 60s I will have lived longer than the past 4 generations because heart attacks took them out.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Heart attacks. They run in the family and if I make it into my 60s I will have lived longer than the past 4 generations because heart attacks took them out.

Best to you. You're taking the right approach.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Hello! I hope you are doing well and had a wonderful holiday. I've had my nieces and nephews here, so it has been great. Noisy, but great. I haven't done much for workouts, but have been keeping up with my running. I think I'll be a few miles short of my goal. We shall see.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Good to see you back Mike :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Just started back two days ago. I love MFP. I stopped tracking and gained all the weight back that I had lost. Got back to overeating and eating out and just eating! I'm going to do it this time.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    As we close on 2016, I want to thank you for liking, sharing, and supporting my journey. I hope I have been able to do the same for you.

Every year we are faced with new challenges, new adventures, and new goals. For 2017, I plan to focus on improving my own health & fitness goals, helping more people with their health and fitness goals, and creating more memories with my family.

What are your goals for 2017?
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    A

What are your goals for 2017?

Primary goal: My wife and families well being.

Health related for me:

1st goal: To be able to complete every TRX and "You are your own Gym" routine.

2nd goal: To begin to get a handle on advanced calisthenics.

3rd and most overarching goal: To silence my loving family and friends who take every opportunity to tell me I'm too old/had too many injuries to do the above. :pB)

I think it's going to be a good year. :)

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    2017 goals (fitness related ones):

Run 1000 miles
    Get a trifecta in the Spartan Races
    1 rep max (calculated) - Bench 300, Squat 350, Deadlift 350

And maybe a few more as I think of them/steal them from others
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    2017 goals for fitness and health:

Get back to my goal weight of 170-175. I put on about 10 lbs last year
    Gain more lean muscle
    Focus on consistency with my nutrition
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    utjzrjrzhyeh.jpg

Some food for thought. How many of you feel you failed this past year? With your health, fitness, work, whatever? How many of you have thought that your failure was the end all be all for that?

For years we have been led to believe that failure is bad. That is not so true. Think back to the different things you accomplished in you life. Now, how many attempts did you have to make before you succeeded at that task? 1, 10, 100? Those were all failures. But guess what, without those, you would not have succeeded!

I can't tell you how many times I attempted to so many different things, and never accomplished them. But I kept at it until I did or was at least satisfied.

One event that comes to mind was when I was in the Army. I thought I would never be able to run a 6 minute mile, let alone two of them. After a month of serious training, I ran my 2 mile run for that particular PT test in 13:06. My first mile was a 6:06, my second was about a 7:00. I was ecstatic!

Why am I bringing this up? It's simple. Maybe you have tried to exercise, but only lasted a few days or weeks, then threw in the towel. Maybe you tried to eat a little better, but after a week you binged on some pizza from papa John's. Or maybe, you tried to implement something new at work or home, but it didn't take as fast as you liked. Whatever the case may be, you need to look at it differently. Don't consider them failures, they were just minor setbacks, failures needed, to pave the way towards YOUR marker of SUCCESS!

What do you feel you failed at last year?

• MikePXstream
    Options
    ozcnn22ncry1.jpg

Yesterday I was so sore. Monday ended up being more of a leg day than I remembered. Even with only using 20 lb weights, that still hurt. So I limped around yesterday. Then what do I get today? More legs. Different exercises and muscle groups, but still in the legs. The rest of the body too. The workouts I am doing are actually more of a total body workout, just different muscles groups each day. But after not flinging weights around for a while, I definitely felt it. It hurts so good. Happy Wednesday!
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Yesterday I was so sore. Monday ended up being more of a leg day than I remembered. Even with only using 20 lb weights, that still hurt. So I limped around yesterday. Then what do I get today? More legs. Different exercises and muscle groups, but still in the legs. The rest of the body too. The workouts I am doing are actually more of a total body workout, just different muscles groups each day. But after not flinging weights around for a while, I definitely felt it. It hurts so good. Happy Wednesday!
    I've had similar experiences with the new workout route I took. DOMS is now my constant companion lol. I honestly do not know if that's a good thing or not :p Keep at it Mike - all that pain, something has to be working lol.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2017:

Lose another 40#'s
    Keep up my current lifting/exercise routine (it's reaping good benefits)
    Continue working towards lower carb (per my practitioner's request and my need)
    Work through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy book again

Successes/Failures of 2016:

Managed to get 20#'s lost even facing some major emotional hurdles (which I also overcame) - while this is nowhere near the 90#'s I need to lose in total, I'm reminded of something a number of people have said on this forum. "Time will go on. I can either still be in the same place I was last year, or move ahead. Either way, the same amount of time is going to pass." That's a major paraphrase b/c I can't remember it exactly right now. It helps me to accept what success I did have last year and not feel so much like a failure. So even though I didn't lose all I wanted to, I DID make progress, which means I'm not in the same place I was in Jan. 2016 when I started MFP.

• motivated2419
    motivated2419 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to have more mom and dad friends!!!
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I would LOVE to have more mom and dad friends!!!

There's plenty of room on my friends list if you're interested. I'm pretty fortunate, got a great mix of very active friends always posting, including Mike, who is a machine lol. Great support :)
This discussion has been closed.