10,000 Steps really??????

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I never have trouble hitting that number if I get in a half hour of exercise...if I run 3 miles in the morning and go to the grocery store that day, I'm done. Not sure whether the steps themselves actually matter, but as a fairly active person, I rarely go to sleep with less than 10k hit (except on days of rest, when I'm lucky if I see 4k).
  • LizPalen412
    LizPalen412 Posts: 38 Member
    I have a desk job, so I don't move much during the day, but I have found if I make a slight effort to walk around a bit at lunch, then an hour of walking in the evening gets me to my 10k step goal. I'm not too strict about the exact step count anymore, as I was mainly using the Fitbit to give me an idea of a good level of activity to aim for. I can achieve that without the Fitbit (or other tracker) now, because I know I basically just need to get my hour of walking and I'll be fine.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I jockey a desk as well and picked up a tracker to remind me to get up and move more. I am under no illusion that if I log in 10k steps I'm going to be fine, but it certainly helps reduce risk and instill positive reinforcement.

As a parent much of what we pass on to our kids is modeled behavior. By setting behavior early on we ensure our kids build in healthy habits that will last a lifetime.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Rather than aim for 10k aim for something more than you do now. I do about 6k-7k with no exercise during the week. Weekends usually about 11k due to housework. I started with the aim of 8k per average for the week and now am working on 9k average. With exercise my aim was 12k but I have been sick so I lowered it and am working back up towards it.
  • I'm totally impressed that you get your work done with a 5 year old hanging around. I'd imagine getting 10,000 steps would be an easier task :smiley:

LOL Oh, some days it's a challenge for sure! I started my business though when she was just a baby so I think she is used to it. We try and have plenty of activities for her to keep her busy when I really need full attention at the computer. I figure I would get more too, Well see. I just bought a new tracker the other seemed wildly inaccurate.
  • storyjorie wrote: »
    I never have trouble hitting that number if I get in a half hour of exercise...if I run 3 miles in the morning and go to the grocery store that day, I'm done. Not sure whether the steps themselves actually matter, but as a fairly active person, I rarely go to sleep with less than 10k hit (except on days of rest, when I'm lucky if I see 4k).

This is what my goal is, I really want to run! For now though I am on machines, eliptical and bike and alternate with the treadmill. I shouldn't let it get to me but I cant help but feel irked I spin 15 miles and get no credit! :D
  • CSARdiver wrote: »
    I jockey a desk as well and picked up a tracker to remind me to get up and move more. I am under no illusion that if I log in 10k steps I'm going to be fine, but it certainly helps reduce risk and instill positive reinforcement.

As a parent much of what we pass on to our kids is modeled behavior. By setting behavior early on we ensure our kids build in healthy habits that will last a lifetime.

That was my goal too, just a little nudge. I mean I am doing something useful when I am on the computer as it's a part of my business but I can definately get sucked in and sit for long periods if I don't have orders to pack or my machines running. I just need to not focus on that actual number I suppose ;)

The younger kids get in on my routine and we have fun working out, the teens though can't be bothered at this point they are in color guard and band etc. :/
  • I have a desk job, so I don't move much during the day, but I have found if I make a slight effort to walk around a bit at lunch, then an hour of walking in the evening gets me to my 10k step goal. I'm not too strict about the exact step count anymore, as I was mainly using the Fitbit to give me an idea of a good level of activity to aim for. I can achieve that without the Fitbit (or other tracker) now, because I know I basically just need to get my hour of walking and I'll be fine.

Good to know, I JUST got a new tracker I think the old one was WAY off... :neutral: I stress too much LOL I can remember literally trying to run laps before midnight trying to hit a goal ROFL! :D:D Well see what my new tracker and today brings. <3
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    If you want to be entertained, check out the forums on the fitbit site, especially the multiple-year threads titled "How Can Anyone Do [50,000, 80,000, some other random number] Steps In A Day?????" And people who join contests on the internet with people who may or may not exist, and complain that people are cheating.

Hhmmm I had a few of those in my last challenge. I swear some of them put their fitbits in the tumble dryer or something to get 50+k steps 7 days a damn week!
  • Lounmoun wrote: »
    I think people get hung up on 10,000 or more steps and those are decent goals to shoot for to increase your basic activity. Walking more is easy but set your own goal that fits your life. 80,000 steps every day is unrealistic for almost everyone with a life. If you are starting at 3,000 steps maybe working on increasing to 5,000 every day is awesome though.
    Or maybe you don't want to want walk much and counting steps is thus a stupid measure of fitness since you might have other fitness goals/methods.

YES!!! So hung up on 10k, I never seem to hit that! I am going to just try and up it a little each day and compete with myself only so I don't stress out LOL! Is there a tracker that measures spinning/eliptical etc? That would be nice.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    If you want to be entertained, check out the forums on the fitbit site, especially the multiple-year threads titled "How Can Anyone Do [50,000, 80,000, some other random number] Steps In A Day?????" And people who join contests on the internet with people who may or may not exist, and complain that people are cheating.

Hhmmm I had a few of those in my last challenge. I swear some of them put their fitbits in the tumble dryer or something to get 50+k steps 7 days a damn week!

50k+ a day all week??? OMG having done 50k once and wanting to die I can't imagine doing that every day. Admittedly I didn't take enough decent rest breaks that day and was battling high winds (which is tiring as hell) but still...I am planning to do a 55k day over my summer break to get that badge but I will be planning it really carefully and you can bet the next day will be a rest day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I manage to hit my 10k every day, but I walk to the train, walk from the train to work, walk in my lunch break, repeat the journey on the way home, then walk the dog. That gets me to 12-13k usually. A couple of months ago my trains were terminating one stop early, so I was walking an extra mile each way and hitting 20k a day. My highest was 30k, and that was an all day walk. I can't imagine hitting 40k or 50k, unless I was doing one of those epic walks for charity or somesuch.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    10k is a marketing tool

But it does make your activity level ...active ..which is significant calories to eat

That said why would you set your tracker to annoy you every 15 minutes

I agree. For me, this is the main point. 1500ish doesn't do it for me, so on top of regular intentional exercise I try to get steps to eat. I find that I burn far more calories from being steadily active/walking than I do from exercise, which is fine because I don't really exercise for the purpose of calorie burn.

• My question is... Is 10,000 steps really the end all of how fit you are?

Here are some things that require lots of fitness and 0 steps.

:smile:

VERY true!!! I guess all of the commercials selling these trackers subconsciously get some of us ( right in the pocket book) :/ This post was so insightful to see that not everyone is getting "steps" in for their activity! I will keep on with my activities and maybe join the 10k steps a day club when I can run! :p