December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    After having a very low day yesterday tried not to let it get to me today and went out for a hilly run at lunch time. My original aim was to do 3 long laps which would work out about 240m climbing in 13.5km. Not really knowing where I was at when I set out I decided I would cut out the flatter section at the bottom of the lap to do 3 shorter laps (about 210m climbing in 9km) then if I still had energy I would run on the flat to make it up to my planned 13.5km.

As it happened, at the end of the 3rd lap I was still feeling pretty good so did a 4th lap over the hill rather than a flat run to finish. It meant my overall distance (12.5k) was a touch shorter than I planned, but I had done more climbing (295m) so happy with that. The unintentional rest and fuelling day yesterday did me really well. I managed to keep a good pace, (average 6:49/km = 11:08/mile), which falls in my current long run pace range. Even more so, when I finished I felt I could have done more which I don't normally after my hill days.

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
    7-Dec: 3.1k TM
    8-Dec: 5.3k easy
    9-Dec: 12.6k easy
    10-Dec: 2k short run
    11-Dec: 11k - 10k tempo plus warm-up
    12-Dec: 8.2k easy
    13-Dec: 1.8k streak run
    14-Dec: 12.5k hill circuit (4 laps; 295m climbing total)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date:: :::: Miles :::: Dec total (goal = 80)
    12/01/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    12/03/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    12/04/16 :::: 6.0 :::: 11.8
    12/05/16 :::: 3.3 :::: 15.0
    12/06/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 17.4
    12/07/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 19.8
    12/08/16 :::: 3.7 :::: 23.5
    12/09/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.5
    12/10/16 :::: 7.0 :::: 30.5
    12/11/16 :::: 3.5 :::: 34.0
    12/12/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 34.0
    12/13/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 36.7
    12/14/16 :::: 2.5 :::: 39.1

Chilly this morning. Glad to have the run out of the way for today, just need to thaw out my butt and get on with things. This is a crap-must-get-done kind of day!

Keep your buns warm out there!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/6- 5.01
    12/7- 3.01
    12/8- 8.04
    12/9- 5.0
    12/10- 11.0
    12/11- Rest
    12/12- 5.21
    12/13- 5.01
    12/14- 5.4

Total: 74.07

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: Ugh, total suffer fest. hill day on the TM, never went below a 2% grade and ramped it up to 12%. I didn't always follow the paces correctly, but I did follow the inclines every time. Did a mile cool down at 0% because I was trashed.

minutes/incline/speed
    5 /4 /5
    2 /10 /4.6
    5 /2 /6.8
    2 /8 /5.3
    5 /3 /6.6
    2 /12 /4.2
    5 /2 /6.8
    5 /7 /5.5
    2 /3 /6.6
    5 /3 /5.8
    2 /10 /4.6
    5 /6 /6
    2 /4 /5
    5 /2 /6.7
    2 /9 /4.4
    5 /2 /6.8

I didn't turn on my Garmin for this one because the constant speed changes. I know there were a couple places I ended up cutting a segment short, but it was always on the lower inclines, the 2 minute hard segments were always the right length, if not a After that came an aborted ab routine:

1 minute each:

leg raise
    crunches
    Side plank L
    front plank
    Side plank R
    Russian twists
    flutter kicks

I skipped: bicycle crunches, v-ups and knees to elbows
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5.35 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    12/2 - 5 miles. Pleasant for December, about 35°
    12/3 - Bodypump class, then 2.25 miles on treadmill
    12/4 - Planned rest day.
    12/5 - 5.11 miles avoiding slippery spots.
    12/6 - Bodypump class, then 2.3 miles on treadmill.
    12/7 - 4 miles on the 'mill.
    12/8 - 4.6 more 'mill miles (Trek class was full...so I had to run solo)
    12/9 - Unplanned rest day.
    12/10 - 2.3 miles on the treadmill, then Bodypump.
    12/11 - 4.5 'mill miles.
    12/12 - Rest day.
    12/13 - Bodypump, then 2.25 miles on treadmill.
    12/14 - 4 miles on treadmill.

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    The one positive of celiac disease, I can be tempted by all the cookies & treats but can't eat them. Unless I want to feel like I'm dying for weeks to months on end.

2.70 today - wanted to go longer but couldn't get my booty out the door much before 4:40

38.75/100
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe I love finishing a run and feeling like I could do more! Then again I love finishing a run and feeling like I left it all out there too
    @MNLittleFinn I should really be copying what you're doing for core work. I keep telling myself I need to start doing that but I never remember to.
    @_nikkiwolf_ running in fog sounds awesome! Idiot car drivers, not so much.
    @bmelb1 I've also bought off-brand buffs and have been happy with them. I bought one of these last year and I can't tell it apart from my Buff brand buffs. I see they now have a tie-dye pattern. I should get that to wear when I listen to Grateful Dead shows on my runs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I should really be copying what you're doing for core work. I keep telling myself I need to start doing that but I never remember to.

That's why I put up with the slower paces my coach asks for in my running....I get help remembering to exercise other parts of my body.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    11.4 miles last night, on an indoor track at a nearby high school.

It wasn't too bad outside to run, but I'm a little pissed off at winter right now and didn't want to deal with it. We have a snow storm (6-10 inches) coming in Friday followed by arctic temps (down to -30F wind chill). Normally I'd be thrilled about this, particularly since the snow is coming on a weekend, I have two kids coming home from college and I'm concerned about their safe travel. It looks like my daughter, coming up from Kansas, has to drive through ice, then snow, and finish in bitter cold Saturday night. My wife is driving to Milwaukee to pick up my son so she has twice as far to drive and is also in for a nasty drive.

On top of all that, my son and I were planning on heading to South Dakota on Saturday to hunt pheasant but the forecast where we hunt calls for -45F wind chill by the time we get there, and it will be too damn cold to hunt Sunday. You go into the ditch in those temps and it can get ugly fast, particularly with the wind blowing around all that fresh snow.

My daughter has backup plans to stay in Kansas until the crap blows through, and I trust my wife to figure out the best course of action for her trip (and we have friends near Milwaukee she can stay with if necessary). As far as hunting, we're now planning on going out on Sunday and hunting two day, but all plans are still in flux as I wait to see the forecast as it gets closer.

Which is all a long explanation for why I'm pissed off at winter right now. I decided to go to the indoor track, plug in my ear buds, turn it up, and just tune out on a mindless run. Mission accomplished.
    dz74xd9ya4ot.jpeg.....m54nr886qcmj.jpeg
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Pace question - I'm still new at this whole pace training thing. Prior to this I was more focused on mileage and going hard and fast for as long as I can, which wasn't effective for me.
    My question is - in my training it says to run X number of miles at 9:40 - 10:40 pace. Is that average pace or pace per mile?
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    Pace question - I'm still new at this whole pace training thing. Prior to this I was more focused on mileage and going hard and fast for as long as I can, which wasn't effective for me.
    My question is - in my training it says to run X number of miles at 9:40 - 10:40 pace. Is that average pace or pace per mile?

That's the average pace for the whole run, taking into account that you might go faster and/or slower than that range at times. So like 6 miles in 1:00:00 would equal a 10:00/mile pace and be in the range.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7 I am having the same thoughts about running in the cold and snow. For months I haven't used the gym I was a member at, which was about 25 miles away, and let that membership expire without renewing. It was 24 hours, which was the huge benefit. The local gym in my community has terrible hours, but I'm thinking of getting a day pass punch card for some of these colder days to get on a treadmill. Where I live (SW Iowa), we are supposed to get ice pellets on Fri. afternoon / evening becoming snow going into Sat. It's cold, but if I'm going to run outside, it needs to be today or tomorrow because I'm not going to run Fri. afternoon / evening with ice pellets coming down.

I have plans in Des Moines (about 120-130 miles away) on Sat., so I plan to leave early and drive very carefully. I noticed Des Moines is supposed to have snow on Fri. and Sat. (no ice pellets apparently), but I'm not sure where in between the ice becomes snow.

I wish all of your family safe travels, and am especially thankful for road crews this time of year. Now if only we could just convert everything to solar roadways, which will heat up enough to melt snow/ice, among other features.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles
    12/3: 3.15 miles (m)
    12/4: Rest Day
    12/5: 5 miles (2 + 3 treadmill)
    12/6: 4 miles (m)
    12/7: 4 miles
    12/8: 4.35 miles (m)
    12/9: Rest Day
    12/10: 3.5 miles
    12/11: 5 miles (m)
    12/12: 4 miles
    12/13: 4 miles (m)
    12/14: 5 miles (m)

My Total/December: 48 miles
    Mike's Total: 26 miles

Did 5 easy miles this morning with Mike and Fergus on the loop path. I managed to start out a little more slowly today and kept the pace around 12 - 12:20 for all but the 3rd mile which we did at 11:30. I think I have found my "easy" pace which appears to be right around 12:20/mile. The first two miles felt almost effortless; it was great! I am so amazed when I think about how far I have come in this last year overall and in just these few months of running. Thanks to you all for inspiring me to keep it up! :)

@kristinegift Enjoy your new car!

@greenolivetree Great medal! I love chili!

@7lenny7 Hey now! Is that a fellow Deadhead I see on this thread?

@bmelb1 I love my Buffs, too. I don't have any off brand ones though. They keep my ears warm when it is cold and hold lots of sweat. Of course, the coldest it gets here is maybe 35F or so. I am not sure how warm they would be in lower temps.

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I was sure Skip would want something lower to the ground because she's barely 5'2" . It's funny to see the look on people's face when she slides out of the seat. I had to put side bars on the truck so she could get it and out easier LOL
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi friends!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)
    12/5: 6.8k
    12/6: 6.8k intervals
    12/7: 2.1k (as a warmup for strength training)
    12/9: 10.2k (easy run, quad testing)
    12/10: 8.7k (intervals)
    12/11: 6k
    12/13: 2k treadmill (leg test)
    12/14: 10.1k beach running

62.1/120k

Today I had a beach running which was positive for my thigh, sandy ground soften my muscle. Foam rolling ibuprofen, icing and magnesium intake continues.

Races:
    12/18: Tour of Drama 10k
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Tonight will be my last chance to run for a few days. My son has a drum concert tomorrow night, Friday is always an unable-to-run day because of family plans, and Saturday might be a no go due to weather. If I can make Saturday work at all, I will, even if I just run up and down my mom's street for an hour. Currently there is a crap ton of snow on the ground, with more on the way, and only about half the sidewalks are shoveled, so it's run in the street or nothing. So I have to stay off the busy roads.

I am trying to make peace with the fact that I most likely won't make 100 miles for December. There are just too many elements conspiring against me this time of year. The best I can do is just run when and where I can.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you lot go out in some of the weather you have. The coldest it ever gets where I live in the UK is -6C(21F) and that's enough to put us off :cold_sweat: I guess it's just what you're used to, plus we don't have the infrastructure to cope with it either, so a bit of snow and all our transport grinds to a halt. Seriously in awe of you guys. I bet if you saw how some people in the U.K. dress for running at 0C you'd probably wet yourself laughing!!!

@RespectTheKitty, I read a great book to help me use running to calm down periods of anxiety and depression, shortly after I was taken off anti depressants earlier this year. I don't know if it's in print where you live, but it's called "Zen and the Art of Running". It talks a lot about how zen helps running and running helps zen, and I'd recommend it for you as it's also very practical-based, rather than just airy-fairy theory, which is an issue I have with lots of meditation stuff.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I don't know how you lot go out in some of the weather you have. The coldest it ever gets where I live in the UK is -6C(21F) and that's enough to put us off :cold_sweat: I guess it's just what you're used to, plus we don't have the infrastructure to cope with it either, so a bit of snow and all our transport grinds to a halt. Seriously in awe of you guys. I bet if you saw how some people in the U.K. dress for running at 0C you'd probably wet yourself laughing!!!

So, the -5F I'll be running in on Saturday is out of the question for folks in the UK? LOL, I remember being in London in January, light jacket was all I needed for walking around.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So, the -5F I'll be running in on Saturday is out of the question for folks in the UK? LOL, I remember being in London in January, light jacket was all I needed for walking around.

At -5F I'm not leaving my bed - let alone running. Some of the northerners and Scottish folk are a bit tougher mind, but I blame my African blood!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    At -5F I'm not leaving my bed - let alone running. Some of the northerners and Scottish folk are a bit tougher mind, but I blame my African blood!
    I think it's my Finnish and Scotch-Irish ancestry. Just enough cold weather tolerance and stubbornness to go for a run in that weather.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    01/12 3.12 miles
    02/12 3 miles
    03/12 3 miles
    13/12 3 miles
    14/12 3 miles - there was a full moon tonight, it was lovely

exercise.png