Very low calories

Options
TMK0214
TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everybody.
So my calorie goal on here is about 2300. But after I get done logging all of my food at the end of the day I'm always between 700-900 calories. I'm trying to eat very healthy, I eat chicken, asparagus, broccoli I also add butter, olive oil etc. and I'm super full after my meals, yet I can't make it past 900 calories what am I doing wrong?!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you pick the correct entries from the database?
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Do you own a food scale?
  • TreyTnt9
    TreyTnt9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why are you even dieting? Just eat normal food.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just eat.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As others have said, first double check your logging. Weigh everything, log correctly (by picking accurate entries and not just the lowest calorie one), and reassess. If you're still under your calorie goal, add more food. My personal favorite is cheese, but the link @GottaBurnEmAll posted above has lots of good options.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    My guess is that you are actually eating more than you think you are. Do you use a food scale?

This. it's not very hard to go over 700 calories if you're eating chicken breast and adding oils and butter. The oils alone for a tablespoon is 100-120 calories, and only 100g of raw chicken breast has 147 calories.

Also, there is no need to cut out foods for weight loss.

Can you open your diary, please?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi OP. :)
    A few questions:
    When you log, are you logging all of your oil, butter, sauces, etc, as well as your chicken and vegetables?
    Do you weigh your solid ingredients on a food scale, eyeball portions, or do you use measuring cups?
    For packaged foods (like butter, for instance) do you verify your labels against the MFP database entries? The MFP database is user maintained, so there are lots of incorrect entries. This also includes the barcode scanning and the green checkmarked "verified" entries. Always double check everything!
    If you answered yes to all of these and are using a food scale, you may want to consider adding a few higher calorie items back into your diet to ensure that you are reaching your calorie goal. There should be a list of higher calorie food options that I'm sure someone will post shortly.
    Or barring that, have a bowl of ice cream. :)

ETA: Never mind. Just noticed GottaBurnEmAll already posted the link.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    My guess is that you are actually eating more than you think you are. Do you use a food scale?

Yes I weigh all of my food.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    Why are you even dieting? Just eat normal food.

Easier said than done. When I eat normal I gain weight, even if it's just one-two meals a day. I have to watch my carbs.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    Hi OP. :)
    A few questions:
    When you log, are you logging all of your oil, butter, sauces, etc, as well as your chicken and vegetables?
    Do you weigh your solid ingredients on a food scale, eyeball portions, or do you use measuring cups?
    For packaged foods (like butter, for instance) do you verify your labels against the MFP database entries? The MFP database is user maintained, so there are lots of incorrect entries. This also includes the barcode scanning and the green checkmarked "verified" entries. Always double check everything!
    If you answered yes to all of these and are using a food scale, you may want to consider adding a few higher calorie items back into your diet to ensure that you are reaching your calorie goal. There should be a list of higher calorie food options that I'm sure someone will post shortly.
    Or barring that, have a bowl of ice cream. :)

ETA: Never mind. Just noticed GottaBurnEmAll already posted the link.

Yes I log all of my oils, butters etc. and check the food label on my food and compare it to the one on here. I basically eat chicken and broccoli every day. So I guess I'll just have to try and eat more chicken
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Yes I weigh all of my food.

Can you open your diary? Perhaps we can find something in your logging that's causing you an issue.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

This. Use a scale, weigh everything, try to choose verified entries in the database when logging. Log everything, don't cheat.. you're eating more than you think. If not, then you would not have been overweight in the first place getting full on such a low amount of calories. Even olive oil is 120 calories per tablespoon. Eating too many low calorie vegetables isn't 'eating healthy' it's simply not eating enough fats, carbs, protein. Try and pay attention to your macros it'll help. If I'm wrong then you may have a medical issue you might want to discuss with your doctor.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It's quite unlikely that your calorie intake is so low if you're even adding high-calorie seasonings such as olive oil and butter. 1 table spoon of olive oil has around 90-110 kcals depending on how many grams of oil you can fit in the volume of your table spoon (around 10-13g though), and 15g of butter have around 115 kcals. So each of them will make up for 10% of a 1000-kcal diet. Maybe you could try to open your diary so that everyone can give ideas on how to increase your calorie intake?