Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lots of bodyweight exercises you can do, and more if you have some equipment to work with.

I might be able to get some small stuff (dumbells/kettlebell but not barbells and maybe some other small things) but we have a super super tiny apartment. Like I have an exercise machine but its in my kitchen...and it wont even fit a table and chairs in there (even without the machine) and with the machine we can barely open the fridge lol

I sometimes use resistance bands...they take up almost no space.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Exercise/dp/7245456313/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1482001281&sr=1-5&keywords=resistance+bands
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I've lost 5lbs in a day in a half. Granted the previous day was a sodium fest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Loss slowed down but I'm at 200.2 so I lost over 5lbs already! If I lost .2lbs between today and tomorrow night I can reach my full goal which was to be under 200lbs :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    Keto-Keep carbs under 20gm/day and use your carbs for veggies. Some veggies cause bloat, like the cruciferous varieties so I'd stay away from those for the week. Fish, fish, fish. I don't know why but during weeks when I eat fish 2-3 days, I have a great loss (you can eat shrimp!).

Eat your daily calorie allotment according to MFP.

Drink a lot of water. I'd aim for a gallon/day.

I'd skip any exercise that'll make your muscles retain water for that week. Do lots of walking. Get enough sleep. Avoid alcohol while trying to lose.

If you do the above, you'll be in ketosis in 24-48 hours and will lose water weight. Expect headaches and fatigue for the first 3 days or so.

Will you be drinking alcohol at your event? If so, know your alcohol tolerance goes way down in keto.

If you go back to eating a high carb diet afterward, you'll gain the weight back.

Have fun!

keto is generally under 50g net carbs per day, as for being in ketosis in 24-48hrs it depends on the person,and not everyone gets the keto flu.when doing keto you need to raise your sodium levels to prevent this, as for eating high carb afterward gaining the weight back, it will be water weight and not fat, as long as you are in a deficit,it wont be true weight gain.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    manda00629 wrote: »
    Not to worry, there is so much you can do with just your own bodyweight without any equipment! Youtube is great for finding free workouts.

I can buy some dvds and stuff :) I just cant get big items. I used Jillian Michaels DVDs in the past a few times. Do you think any of those could help tone?

My sister is in fabulous shape just using DVDs (she started with 30 minute shred, I think) in her small living room. She has various dumbbells, that's all.

I love dumbbells and would include them, but there are good bodyweight programs too.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    *hugs* I hope you feel better soon. Feeling sick while trying to meet a goal isn't the most fun place to be. Make sure you drink plenty.

Maybe some peanut butter with that apple tomorrow? I hear it goes together really well and would give you some fat and traces of protein (that is if you actually like that stuff. :wink: )

I hate peanut butter lol like with a passion

I like you more and more. I hate the stuff too but I know I'm in the minority :tongue:

I don't like it either -- I like the flavor and peanuts (so I actually quite like using powdered peanuts in things), but I don't like the consistency of peanut butter (or any nut butters).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I hope you win Verity :).

FWIW, once you're done and going back to your regular weight loss plan, I'd slowly increase carbs back to your usual level over a week or so rather than just going straight back. You know already that you'll see a scale weight jump from the glycogen replenishment, but knowing that it's going to happen and actually seeing it on the scales are two different things. Increasing slowly will hopefully even it out a bit, so that combined with your continued fat loss from being at a deficit your scale weight won't zoom up. But if you know you can handle seeing that jump, just return to your regularly scheduled programming :) (as a fellow former ED sufferer, I know I still have to pep talk myself through water weight increases sometimes).
  • Verity1111
    Options
    *hugs* I hope you feel better soon. Feeling sick while trying to meet a goal isn't the most fun place to be. Make sure you drink plenty.

Maybe some peanut butter with that apple tomorrow? I hear it goes together really well and would give you some fat and traces of protein (that is if you actually like that stuff. :wink: )

I hate peanut butter lol like with a passion

I like you more and more. I hate the stuff too but I know I'm in the minority :tongue:

It tastes odd to me! bleh! lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will reply to everyone individually if need be later but thanks for all the support :) Tomorrow is the weigh-in!!! Wish me luck please. :)
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I hope you win Verity :).

FWIW, once you're done and going back to your regular weight loss plan, I'd slowly increase carbs back to your usual level over a week or so rather than just going straight back. You know already that you'll see a scale weight jump from the glycogen replenishment, but knowing that it's going to happen and actually seeing it on the scales are two different things. Increasing slowly will hopefully even it out a bit, so that combined with your continued fat loss from being at a deficit your scale weight won't zoom up. But if you know you can handle seeing that jump, just return to your regularly scheduled programming :) (as a fellow former ED sufferer, I know I still have to pep talk myself through water weight increases sometimes).

I understand water. I wont mind gaining for a day or two...I need some greasy delicious food right now lol omg I miss pizza and I am going to be having a Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life marathon here so I need some sort of pizza or chinese food - it's just necessary. I promise I won't be falling into my ED. I am feeling really good about myself with the steady weight loss. :blush: Thank you for caring.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm excited for you!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Good luck!
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks all!!! I was weak today broke my diet a bit again lol had a few chips with lime when I was eating cucumber with lime (boyfriend had chips...I have no regrets!) Plus 3 sick kids and what not I think Im doing pretty good. It seems normal so far though I weighed myself before and after the day (right after eating) I was 200.2 then 2 lbs up from the food which is normal I think so hopefully Ill be down by tomorrow night! Im going to probably water fast until I weigh in at night and get food after. :) Our weigh in is a 10pm or earlier deal. So only about 19-20hrs away! I did lose the 5lbs and kept what I lost off for every weigh in so far! Even the one other time I broke it and had a few crackers with my soup when I first got sick (Im still sick with a fever :/). Ill update tomorrow night or the next morning depending on when she (the woman running the contest) posts the results!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.
    Good observations. I think most of the 5 or 6 pound losses in one week are due to initial burning off of available glycogen stores. So with a first week 6 pound loss it would only be maybe 2 pounds of actual fat lost and the rest would be water. And if you notice often there is a stall in the second week and then it drops and settles down to 1-2 pounds a week loss on average unless the person doesn't have much to lose.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the update, Verity.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be real weight. If it's part water and excess sodium that's fine because I feel awful and bloated anyway. Ive been retaining a bunch of water so Im wondering if I change my diet if it can help that soon. I am trying to hit my goal which is on the 18th and Im behind by 5 lbs. ..

I'm kind of curious how you made out as it is the 18th today. Did you win the Christmas tree?

Read the post above yours.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks! Lol. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it as I didn't check again right before posting. I hope she wins the tree tonight!
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Thanks! Lol. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it as I didn't check again right before posting. I hope she wins the tree tonight!

I win money for christmas decorations not the actual decorations! Lol Ill win $180! I have a couple hrs left to weigh-in! Im not feeling too good right now and my kids are all sick so I dont feel like getting out my scale right this second lol plus its freezing in here and tmi but I weigh in the buff lmso I already know I lost more than the person running the contest. We go by body weight % lot. There are only about 15 people and so far I know I'm ahead of 3-4 lol Haven't seen any who did better than me yet. If we win I also promised my kids pizza :) They've all been really sick and it would make them happy.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Nice! Enjoy that pizza when you get it. :wink: