Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

uh that's to lose 5lbs of fat...not water and fat

So you're planning to intentionally become severely dehydrated,
    Damage your kidneys, liver & intestines ?

in hopes to win some contest ?

You might as well cut off your arm to lose 5 pounds for your contest.

Don't be overly dramatic ..it's just like contest prep for body builders and won't do damage in the short term

what else could you lose.... mmmmmm. Let. me. think.
    A brain weighs almost 5 pounds.

Short term water weight manipulation is not harmful nor going to cause any metabolic damage. Bodybuilders due it all the time and for longer periods of time than the OP. Hell, I could manipulate glycogen now and lose an easy 7-10 lbs.

OP, get as close to very low carb (keto as possible) and you should probably stop exercising now as your body tends to retain fluids for muscle repair. As you approach keto though, you may need to increase sodium to help with electrolyte balance. Eating plenty of potassium and magnesium (darky leafy greens) will provide balance to the electrolytes and ward off some weight increases from sodium.

TIL beginner with health issues = expert bodybuilder and should do the same things. Brb going to do some motorcross now

It's literally cutting water weight for a competition. After 5 or 6 more days, she can return to her previous methods of losing weight. If the OP has concerns over her health, it should be worked out with a doctor and a therapist.

So if I may ask explicitly, would you say the actions of a bodybuilder for cutting water weight prior to a competition can be repeated by the beginner to average dieter with no special skill set or experience required?

IMO, the expert bodybuilder has a strict nutritional regimen, is an expert at adhering to it and at how their body responds, and knows when to make adjustments wrt to their dietary and training schedules. I personally wouldn't recommend these actions for a person already dealing with health issues.

As we have talked about is manipulating glycogen. Do you think it's difficult to understand the reduction of carbohydrates to reduce glycogen stores? I gave the OP very basic, so basic anyone could follow, protocols that could allow her to cut weight quickly. It really is simple to reduce carbs to ketogenic levels, increase sodium to 3-5k and maintain her current calorie levels. I haven't discuss PSFM protocol or any other bodybuilding/contest prep protocols because that is probably too much.

I see. To me, it's a question of priorities at this point. I think one of her prior posts detailing the stresses of feeding the whole family, plus some of her health issues would make for an excellent first or reset/restart post. It seems a bit irresponsible to me to pour on any of these additional manipulations in the face of these health issues (I'm lumping sauna et al in the same category due to the IMO broad statement of a bodybuilder prepping for competition). What if her true diagnosis is contraindicated with any short term protocols she follows? But I suppose none of us knew; the info wasn't shared up front.

So your tell me, that if you had a chance to win a few hundred dollars, that you wouldn't modify your diet to try? Because I know I would.

And we are literally only talking a few more days now. And if the OP started to experience worst symptoms, that solution is easy.. stop following the protocols. Not everything has to be intended as a life change. Also, if she does have IBS, than reduce carbs might be helpful. But it's hard to say. And she will have enough time prior to going to the GI to return to her natural dieting.

I've actually seen improvement in my IBS symptoms already and it's only been 2 days. I'm having less issues with bloating, nausea and also TMI everyone but I can use the bathroom lol which was not happening. Although I spoke to my Dr yesterday and also tried dandelion pills as an herbal remedy for bloating and IBS problems. I was given the go ahead and also told my diet is fine. Yes its not a life change. I love french fries and pizza and pasta and....lol other food thats not so good for me. Im sorry but Im not sorry. I wont be eating clean 100% of the time after this contest. Lol. Ill be living life and enjoying my food unless my GI dr makes me change my diet

Your doctor can work with you, but my sister actually did mostly clear up her symptoms just by finding her triggers (and they were weird ones not bread and so on -- some raw veg (broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage, I think, although she can eat them cooked), melons, avocado, maybe some other stuff I forget), so if you could feel good by figuring them out and cutting them out it might be worth it.

But jumping ahead, I suppose, since this isn't really the point of the thread.

Yeah, raw veg are rough on me too.

I do hope you can get some relief from your issues, OP. IBS isn't fun.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

Don't be overly dramatic ..it's just like contest prep for body builders and won't do damage in the short term

Short term water weight manipulation is not harmful nor going to cause any metabolic damage. Bodybuilders due it all the time and for longer periods of time than the OP. Hell, I could manipulate glycogen now and lose an easy 7-10 lbs.

OP, get as close to very low carb (keto as possible) and you should probably stop exercising now as your body tends to retain fluids for muscle repair. As you approach keto though, you may need to increase sodium to help with electrolyte balance. Eating plenty of potassium and magnesium (darky leafy greens) will provide balance to the electrolytes and ward off some weight increases from sodium.

TIL beginner with health issues = expert bodybuilder and should do the same things. Brb going to do some motorcross now

It's literally cutting water weight for a competition. After 5 or 6 more days, she can return to her previous methods of losing weight. If the OP has concerns over her health, it should be worked out with a doctor and a therapist.

So if I may ask explicitly, would you say the actions of a bodybuilder for cutting water weight prior to a competition can be repeated by the beginner to average dieter with no special skill set or experience required?

IMO, the expert bodybuilder has a strict nutritional regimen, is an expert at adhering to it and at how their body responds, and knows when to make adjustments wrt to their dietary and training schedules. I personally wouldn't recommend these actions for a person already dealing with health issues.

As we have talked about is manipulating glycogen. Do you think it's difficult to understand the reduction of carbohydrates to reduce glycogen stores? I gave the OP very basic, so basic anyone could follow, protocols that could allow her to cut weight quickly. It really is simple to reduce carbs to ketogenic levels, increase sodium to 3-5k and maintain her current calorie levels. I haven't discuss PSFM protocol or any other bodybuilding/contest prep protocols because that is probably too much.

I see. To me, it's a question of priorities at this point. I think one of her prior posts detailing the stresses of feeding the whole family, plus some of her health issues would make for an excellent first or reset/restart post. It seems a bit irresponsible to me to pour on any of these additional manipulations in the face of these health issues (I'm lumping sauna et al in the same category due to the IMO broad statement of a bodybuilder prepping for competition). What if her true diagnosis is contraindicated with any short term protocols she follows? But I suppose none of us knew; the info wasn't shared up front.

So your tell me, that if you had a chance to win a few hundred dollars, that you wouldn't modify your diet to try? Because I know I would.

And we are literally only talking a few more days now. And if the OP started to experience worst symptoms, that solution is easy.. stop following the protocols. Not everything has to be intended as a life change. Also, if she does have IBS, than reduce carbs might be helpful. But it's hard to say. And she will have enough time prior to going to the GI to return to her natural dieting.

If I was having health issues and did not even have a diagnosis yet, no, I would not worry about some competition. Can't go to the bathroom, in the midst of other health problems, and the next question that comes up is how do I lose five pounds to win a competition? The phrase that comes to my mind is 'penny wise and pound foolish'. Isn't our health worth more than a couple hundred bucks? If she started to experience symptoms, how would you know that's not the beginning of something more serious or permanent? We don't even know what's wrong with her.

However, her doctor does and evidently (based on the info she provided them) agrees with this diet.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    The worry I have (I know you will call me mean but I don't care) is will you be able to stop after the contest is over because of your history. I have a similar history and know that going down the rabbit hole again can do very bad things to my brain and lead to further crash dieting.

LOL I am craving pizza badly. I plan on ordering some chinese food or pizza and binge watching the new Gilmore Girls when this is over lol! Even if I need to sell something to pay for it. or ask my mommy lmso

Oh yummy! And yes I would check for ibs as that definitely can cause issues. It's annoying but figuring out your trigger foods and avoiding them helps tremendously

I know your concerns. :) ED can be a bad cycle. I've been good almost consistently for years. I've had short slip ups (lasting a day or two only) but I always pull out of it. And I let myself have treats and order food etc. I dont eat healthy anymore all of the time because I dont have time to cook and I get sick of plain salad all day. Sometimes Ill cook a big batch of soup or enchiladas/tamales or something and it can last but usually I get something filled with sodium and processed sadly and just snack on the healthy stuff. I dont know what causes my IBS. I eat a variety of things...I do have healthy things as snacks and occasionally get a home cooked meal. I eat pasta, bread, veggies, fruit, eggs, cheese, etc. Everything except meat. It may be gluten since it is in so much stuff? I mean Im not eating gluten right now I dont think and my stomach is starting to feel better...although today I am feverish, lethargic and have a sore throat so I might need to break this diet and have a soup. lol. Unless I can figure out an easy one to make from scratch. Caught it from my oldest kid.

Easy soup recipe from scratch:

- dice some onions and put into a large pan. Add a smidgen of olive oil (or butter or whatever you have on hand to avoid having the onions stick) and heat until the onion is slightly glassy.
    - cut up whatever veggies you have (carrots and spinach make a pretty yummy mix, but really... anything that counts as a vegetable can go into that pot. About 200-400 grams of veggies in total) and add to the onions.
    - Fill up with water (I usually use a powdered veggie broth, roughly 1 liter of liquids)
    - cook until veggies are mush
    - mix
    - add pepper/salt/whatever spices you have on hand.

Fun extras to vary taste: coconut milk, curry, lemon grass
    (Side note: celery root and coconut milk are just plain awesome!)

This gives me about 3-4 servings and I freeze the extra servings to use later. Served with a bit of cheese and bread it's a nice warm meal for busy days. Total time (not counting time to cook) it takes me about 10 minutes to prepare.

Depending on how much oil/coconut milk/starchy veggies you add, it usually pans out between 100-180 cals per serving.

Good luck with your contest and I hope your GI doctor will be able to help you!

I have onions spinach arugala celery and carrots I can use. So do I just cook it in the pan? or do I toss the onions into a pot when I add the other stuff? Thanks for the help! :) and the luck.

Erm a pot... I meant a pot. It's a mono-dimensional dish (as a friend would call it) as it only requires 1 pot to make it all...

(I get confused with English cooking terminology sometimes :tongue: I learned to cook in German, so it's always a bit of a switch when talking food in English).

Oh no problem! I'm part German. ^_^ Also thank you again! Sounds simple and soothing to me.

You're welcome. :smiley:

Let me know how it turned out. It's amazingly simple to make good soup with just a handful of ingredients, so I never quite understand how people can stand store-bought soups with how much salt they tend to add to it :astonished: (but that might be the food snob in me talking).

And please do keep us posted on how you're doing. I think you've got quite a few people worried around here (myself included) :wink: But it's one of the things I like about this community, they'll worry worse than my grandmother ever did - and she was a worry rat of the worst kinds. They might sometimes be a bit gruff (not sure it's the right word) about it, but I think it comes from a place of concern.

Lol. silly to worry. All Im doing is eating healthy for a week. Thats a good thing. I usually eat junk food and no one ever worries then lol you should worry when I eat an 18" pizza with sides and Im still hungry. Total normal for me BTW Lol. I have been working to not do that. Also I do canned soup because well Im lazy and lack time lol

In this case... do carry on :tongue:

But actually... see if you can't incorporate some of that healthy eating from this week into your future (finances and time permitting)

(I know, I know, your circumstances aren't easy... but it's worth a try :wink: )

I am trying lol I was before this but it can be difficult to do 100% of the time and also depressing. I like food lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I've actually seen improvement in my IBS symptoms already and it's only been 2 days. I'm having less issues with bloating, nausea and also TMI everyone but I can use the bathroom lol which was not happening. Although I spoke to my Dr yesterday and also tried dandelion pills as an herbal remedy for bloating and IBS problems. I was given the go ahead and also told my diet is fine. Yes its not a life change. I love french fries and pizza and pasta and....lol other food thats not so good for me. Im sorry but Im not sorry. I wont be eating clean 100% of the time after this contest. Lol. Ill be living life and enjoying my food unless my GI dr makes me change my diet

Your doctor can work with you, but my sister actually did mostly clear up her symptoms just by finding her triggers (and they were weird ones not bread and so on -- some raw veg (broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage, I think, although she can eat them cooked), melons, avocado, maybe some other stuff I forget), so if you could feel good by figuring them out and cutting them out it might be worth it.

But jumping ahead, I suppose, since this isn't really the point of the thread.

Yeah, raw veg are rough on me too.

I do hope you can get some relief from your issues, OP. IBS isn't fun.

Both of you are right. could be anything or everything. I have tons of allergies too so I never know what it is
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am low residue/low fiber so I can eat only a few very well cooked vegetables. Fruits also are an issue but some are OK without skin and seeds. Whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes are also an issue as well as spicy food, lactose, red meat and some other things. Everybody is different though so I wouldn't discount it. I would ask for a colonoscopy to make sure.

That sounds awful. Im allergic to most fruit. I am eating them but its difficult. Sometimes I need to put lime juice on them or dip them in light whipped cream because there is something on the outside of the fruit that bothers me? Somehow putting lime juice on it helps. The dairy sometimes helps too but lime juice is best if I have it. Otherwise I can get a really itchy sore throat and tongue. I'm still eating them. I just need to like "neutralize" whatever it is that bothers me lol Like Im allergic to avocado but not guacamole?

Possibly oral allergy syndrome? Where you have an allergic reaction in your mouth to raw fruits and sometimes veggies?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Yes. I am low residue/low fiber so I can eat only a few very well cooked vegetables. Fruits also are an issue but some are OK without skin and seeds. Whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes are also an issue as well as spicy food, lactose, red meat and some other things. Everybody is different though so I wouldn't discount it. I would ask for a colonoscopy to make sure.

That sounds awful. Im allergic to most fruit. I am eating them but its difficult. Sometimes I need to put lime juice on them or dip them in light whipped cream because there is something on the outside of the fruit that bothers me? Somehow putting lime juice on it helps. The dairy sometimes helps too but lime juice is best if I have it. Otherwise I can get a really itchy sore throat and tongue. I'm still eating them. I just need to like "neutralize" whatever it is that bothers me lol Like Im allergic to avocado but not guacamole?

Possibly oral allergy syndrome? Where you have an allergic reaction in your mouth to raw fruits and sometimes veggies?

I second this suggestion... This is what I have and it makes eating most fruits and some veggies raw such a pain.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    The worry I have (I know you will call me mean but I don't care) is will you be able to stop after the contest is over because of your history. I have a similar history and know that going down the rabbit hole again can do very bad things to my brain and lead to further crash dieting.

LOL I am craving pizza badly. I plan on ordering some chinese food or pizza and binge watching the new Gilmore Girls when this is over lol! Even if I need to sell something to pay for it. or ask my mommy lmso

Oh yummy! And yes I would check for ibs as that definitely can cause issues. It's annoying but figuring out your trigger foods and avoiding them helps tremendously

I know your concerns. :) ED can be a bad cycle. I've been good almost consistently for years. I've had short slip ups (lasting a day or two only) but I always pull out of it. And I let myself have treats and order food etc. I dont eat healthy anymore all of the time because I dont have time to cook and I get sick of plain salad all day. Sometimes Ill cook a big batch of soup or enchiladas/tamales or something and it can last but usually I get something filled with sodium and processed sadly and just snack on the healthy stuff. I dont know what causes my IBS. I eat a variety of things...I do have healthy things as snacks and occasionally get a home cooked meal. I eat pasta, bread, veggies, fruit, eggs, cheese, etc. Everything except meat. It may be gluten since it is in so much stuff? I mean Im not eating gluten right now I dont think and my stomach is starting to feel better...although today I am feverish, lethargic and have a sore throat so I might need to break this diet and have a soup. lol. Unless I can figure out an easy one to make from scratch. Caught it from my oldest kid.

Easy soup recipe from scratch:

- dice some onions and put into a large pan. Add a smidgen of olive oil (or butter or whatever you have on hand to avoid having the onions stick) and heat until the onion is slightly glassy.
    - cut up whatever veggies you have (carrots and spinach make a pretty yummy mix, but really... anything that counts as a vegetable can go into that pot. About 200-400 grams of veggies in total) and add to the onions.
    - Fill up with water (I usually use a powdered veggie broth, roughly 1 liter of liquids)
    - cook until veggies are mush
    - mix
    - add pepper/salt/whatever spices you have on hand.

Fun extras to vary taste: coconut milk, curry, lemon grass
    (Side note: celery root and coconut milk are just plain awesome!)

This gives me about 3-4 servings and I freeze the extra servings to use later. Served with a bit of cheese and bread it's a nice warm meal for busy days. Total time (not counting time to cook) it takes me about 10 minutes to prepare.

Depending on how much oil/coconut milk/starchy veggies you add, it usually pans out between 100-180 cals per serving.

Good luck with your contest and I hope your GI doctor will be able to help you!

I have onions spinach arugala celery and carrots I can use. So do I just cook it in the pan? or do I toss the onions into a pot when I add the other stuff? Thanks for the help! :) and the luck.

Erm a pot... I meant a pot. It's a mono-dimensional dish (as a friend would call it) as it only requires 1 pot to make it all...

(I get confused with English cooking terminology sometimes :tongue: I learned to cook in German, so it's always a bit of a switch when talking food in English).

Oh no problem! I'm part German. ^_^ Also thank you again! Sounds simple and soothing to me.

You're welcome. :smiley:

Let me know how it turned out. It's amazingly simple to make good soup with just a handful of ingredients, so I never quite understand how people can stand store-bought soups with how much salt they tend to add to it :astonished: (but that might be the food snob in me talking).

And please do keep us posted on how you're doing. I think you've got quite a few people worried around here (myself included) :wink: But it's one of the things I like about this community, they'll worry worse than my grandmother ever did - and she was a worry rat of the worst kinds. They might sometimes be a bit gruff (not sure it's the right word) about it, but I think it comes from a place of concern.

Lol. silly to worry. All Im doing is eating healthy for a week. Thats a good thing. I usually eat junk food and no one ever worries then lol you should worry when I eat an 18" pizza with sides and Im still hungry. Total normal for me BTW Lol. I have been working to not do that. Also I do canned soup because well Im lazy and lack time lol

In this case... do carry on :tongue:

But actually... see if you can't incorporate some of that healthy eating from this week into your future (finances and time permitting)

(I know, I know, your circumstances aren't easy... but it's worth a try :wink: )

I am trying lol I was before this but it can be difficult to do 100% of the time and also depressing. I like food lol

Don't bother with 100%, that would take superhuman efforts. 1% at a time is plenty enough and before you know it, it'll be 50% of the time. Then 75% of the time (and the remaining 25% people can stick where the sun don't shine. Cause food). It's a matter of learning/changing one habit at a time and practicing it until it sticks. Trying to do everything in one go just made me depressed. Together with a toxic job environment, I ended up 50kg overweight.

I like food too (hence my food snob comment :wink: ). If I could, I would eat chocolate and cheese all of the time (and I live in Switzerland... imaging how good the cheese and chocolates are here...).

So during your enforced health week, try and take note of those things that might seem easy for you to integrate into your everyday life and then work on doing them one at a time. First once a week. Then every 2-3 days. When the first of the habits you've decided to add sticks, add another one.

I set appointments with myself on my phone as reminders. That's how I went from zero work out to consistently working out 3 times a week. That's how I went from eating whatever food comes my way to planing - and sticking to that plan. Took me nearly a year, but I'm getting there. One habit at a time. :smile:

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I second this suggestion... This is what I have and it makes eating most fruits and some veggies raw such a pain.

A friend has that too. She has a very limited list of fruits she will touch and prefers to avoid fruit all together if nothing available is on her safe list.

She's not willing to eat something that will make her miserable.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jh636 wrote: »
    Keto

Keto is a process that takes time to achieve. It's unlikely to help in this specific case as becoming keto-adapted generally takes about a month and OP has only a week.

Actually, you see the benefits of it within a week of starting when your body releases water weight used to break glucose down. Depending on your current weight/eating habits, you can lose over 10 lbs of water weight in that time.
    It takes 24h to transition into ketosis, but about 2-4 weeks to be keto adapted to be burning fat as your staple energy source.

I'm seconding keto if you are really serious about this. I'd look into the side effect of the transitioning into ketosis since you will need more minerals and electrolytes to not suffer from the dreaded 'keto flu'.

It seems we are basically talking six of one and half a dozen of the other as the initial stages of keto appear to be more or less identical to what is involved in a short-term weight cut--manipulating glycogen and water retention. It was silly of me to assume you meant for her to adopt a keto lifestyle when the topic at hand is regarding a temporary situation. My apologies.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Verity1111, I'm going to laugh a very small amount if this week of trying to shed some pounds quickly for a contest ends up showing you what foods are causing you longer term issues and you end up with a healthier diet because of the contest.

I wish you luck in the contest and think you should be not too quick to go back to pizza etc. if they made you feel like crap.

• Verity1111
    Options
    Verity1111, I'm going to laugh a very small amount if this week of trying to shed some pounds quickly for a contest ends up showing you what foods are causing you longer term issues and you end up with a healthier diet because of the contest.

I wish you luck in the contest and think you should be not too quick to go back to pizza etc. if they made you feel like crap.

Well it very well might. So many replies lol I am weighing in everyday only for this week for fun and I am down another 1/2 lb today. I ate a big plate of food around 2am too so I figured I might be holding on to some of it but guess not! I just made a very lazy vegetable soup in the microwave. The broth made it kind of high sodium but I figure it is still healthier than ramen noodles for me since Im sick right now :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well it very well might. So many replies lol I am weighing in everyday only for this week for fun and I am down another 1/2 lb today. I ate a big plate of food around 2am too so I figured I might be holding on to some of it but guess not! I just made a very lazy vegetable soup in the microwave. The broth made it kind of high sodium but I figure it is still healthier than ramen noodles for me since Im sick right now :)

What are your carbs sitting at?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If only there was a way to time the stupid changes in the scale. I'm down .9 lb from yesterday but doubt it will stick tomorrow. Just seems to be the way it goes.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Carbs are still hitting around 100. Sometimes a little over or under. I am just avoiding grains, pasta and sodium for the most part. It's working for me.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If only there was a way to time the stupid changes in the scale. I'm down .9 lb from yesterday but doubt it will stick tomorrow. Just seems to be the way it goes.

That bites. Mine does that sometimes, but the last 3 days it is down down down...very quickly. I assume I was right about the excess water. I'm at 202 today and I was 205.4 just 3 days ago. No exercise. Net goal is 1200. My dr told me 1200 is fine for me before anyone starts ranting lol she said just try not to go under 1000 and get close to 1200 or a bit over.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Carbs are still hitting around 100. Sometimes a little over or under. I am just avoiding grains, pasta and sodium for the most part. It's working for me.

If you can get them down a bit more and replace them with fat, it should help a bit more. Although, if you get close to ketogenic levels, (<50g), than you want to increase sodium.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options

Also, most of the carbs are from carrots, apple, tomatoes and the bit of salsa/lite dressing or occasional orange juice I let myself have (no additives, just fresh squeezed orange juice). Oh, and onion.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

If I was having health issues and did not even have a diagnosis yet, no, I would not worry about some competition. Can't go to the bathroom, in the midst of other health problems, and the next question that comes up is how do I lose five pounds to win a competition? The phrase that comes to my mind is 'penny wise and pound foolish'. Isn't our health worth more than a couple hundred bucks? If she started to experience symptoms, how would you know that's not the beginning of something more serious or permanent? We don't even know what's wrong with her.

However, her doctor does and evidently (based on the info she provided them) agrees with this diet.

Whats ironic, is that the manipulation of her diet to support winning the competition has improved has she has felt in the past two days. If she does have IBS, a diet higher in fiber could cause flare ups. So it's quite possible that what she is doing is actually going to help provide more answers and improve her health.

And again, something I can't stress enough, the OP is only modifying macro's; not taking sweeping reductions in calories. And she largely eats whole foods. I am not sure how reducing carbs and increasing fats/proteins will somehow negatively affect her health or condition.

Based on how the OP feels, I would think it's extremely foolish to continue to eat in the same manor which causes them pain. If I was in her shoes, I would modify the foods and macros I ate to figure out what foods where causing the biggest responses. After I ate, I would document how I felt and any symptoms. This way, she has more data available for a discussion with the doctor. Something, my wife and I did prior to all her appointments.

I do agree with the idea of manipulating foods for the purpose of resolving her health issues. Having lost 20 lbs in eight weeks or 2.5 lbs per week and now wanting "help" from MFP losing another five lbs in one week just reeks of red flags to me. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this being a reasonable and responsible path to physical and mental health.