Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.

Well I still eat junk food now just in smaller amounts so thats why the bettering my diet

Please point out in my comment where I mentioned junk food.

"go back to old habits" "quit dieting" etc? Kind of implies that. Otherwise Im not sure why it would matter. You wouldnt likely hold tons of salt if you eat 3000 calories in vegetables and fruit. However 1200 in salty junk food could do that to you. Otherwise I find it irrelevant.

No, it doesn't. It implies going back to the old habits that made *me* overweight. While everyone is overweight because they eat more calories than they burn, that does not mean that everyone who had a large loss the first week of their diets did so because they got those extra calories via food that you consider junk. And yes, I did lost a bunch of water weight by merely cutting down my portion sizes of foods that aren't junk in your book. It isn't against the laws of nature. My old habits merely involved portion sizes that were too large for the calorie intake I needed. That's it. I wasn't fat because I ate what you think was a bunch of "salty junk food". My kitchen contained plenty of fruit, veggies, proteins, etc. Too many in fact. Your assumption in this case is indeed incorrect.

but this was my post lol so it was silly to post if it wasnt related. Im discussing water weight and water weight loss not fat

Well let's see. I was posting about the water weight loss I experienced on the first week of my diet. So I was not being silly posting. I was not talking about a one week 6.4 lb fat loss because that is just not possible. Just because you don't think I could lose that much water weight without being a junk food eater the week before doesn't magically break the laws of the universe and make my first week's loss 6.4 lbs of fat. It was indeed a mostly water loss. But I'll bow out of the conversation anyway.
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, I lost five pounds the week I started the Keto diet. It can be difficult to adhere to but so worth the results.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    I lost 8lbs overnight for a competition weigh in. I gained it back immediately. That is not fat lost, obviously water. If you have a decent amount of fat to lose, I would focus on losing that at a moderate pace. The water weight will fluctuate and come off accordingly.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options
    Consistency is probably important, in terms of how much you eat and diet composition. I am a very inconsistent eater and I get huge water weight fluctuations from it. Also avoid heavy exercise the week before as it causes water retention. And try not to be ill or injured!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I lost 8lbs overnight for a competition weigh in. I gained it back immediately. That is not fat lost, obviously water. If you have a decent amount of fat to lose, I would focus on losing that at a moderate pace. The water weight will fluctuate and come off accordingly.

You should really read the rest of the thread.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was actually considering a hair cut Lol. Or balloons on my hair? lmso. Who knows?
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...

You can vegetarian low carb easily if you eat eggs and cheese. Sticking to things like cottage cheese and eggs for protein and eating just vegetables along with that would be a starting point for low carbing.

Aren't vegetables high in carbs? Otherwise that was pretty much the plan. Vegetables with egg and a little cheese plus the occasiona fruit.

Depends on the vegetables. Fibrous vegetables aren't very high carb.

Well this was my list:

Spinach and arugala
    green onion
    yellow onion
    avocado
    lime
    raspberries
    green apples
    Deli cheese x 2
    Smart Cups
    Hard Boiled eggs for salad
    low calorie dressing
    Hint water
    V8 Spicy
    Vegetable broth
    baby carrots
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    celery
    cremini mushrooms? or jarred mushrooms
    gravy (look for low sodium)
    parmesan

Not planning on eating anything not on it. Should I cut something out? lol

I know your money is tight, but this list is woefully low on protein and I see some higher sodium items on it you might want to limit like the deli cheese, veggie broth, and V8.

Unlike the other poster, I don't blame you for wanting an occasional apple.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yes, I did last week. Actually it was 7 pounds I put on from Thanksgiving through Sunday. Back to my normal now.

Awesome! Wow thats a lot of water weight lol and some fat loss Im sure. Good work. :) I just really want to win this contest... broke and could use the $ and we dont have a tree or decorations so Im trying to get money for that and gifts for my kids. I dont plan on trying to lose 5lbs continuously Lol. Dont even need it to stay off forever just long enough to win lol Thank you for sharing your experience.

Not to interject because it wasn't your question, but wanted to throw an idea out there. You say you can't afford a tree, have you tried calling local churches to see if they know of any places that donate trees? By me we have several churches that sell discounted trees as well as donate trees. They usually aren't the nicest (like one side being a bit bare) but you could always face the bare side to a wall. There are also places that sell discounted/donates children's items for the holidays.

Like I said, I know it is not what you were asking but wanted to offer a few options in case you don't win

We're not doing a tree this year because we're on the middle of moving, it's actually been lovely not having to mess with it! May have started a new tradition lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,015 Member
    Options
    I don't have any input on the water weight. Though, since this is a contest I assume you will be weighed wearing clothes? Get out your kitchen scale and start weighing your clothes to find your lightest outfit. Clothes this time of year can easily add ten pounds. If you are really desperate cutting your hair may even make a difference.
    If you don't win check out Freecycle. People post things they are looking for or trying to git rid of all for free. If you have it in your area, somebody surely has an old tree and decorations they would love to get rid of but can't bring themselves to toss in the trash.

Another vote for Freecycle. Every year I see families looking for a little help. I have a post for offering a bag of decorations awaiting moderation right now (I've just moved and am new to the group.)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Google Jay Robb three day fruit flush diet.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for wanting an occasional apple (lol). Just pointing out that they are a bit "carby" so you might want to limit them. The hint water and smart cups sound fine.

When I want a whoosh of water weight I eat eggs, pork chops (for some reason I always see my weight drop after a dinner of pork chops and green beans), and tuna with mayo (no bread or crackers). But you're vegetarian so only the eggs could help :D

Good luck!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Dandelion tea, if you can get your hands on it, is brilliant for bloating and water weight. It's a mild laxative and diuretic, so it helps the bloated feeling and the actual bloating plus the water weight, but it's mild so it won't leave you feeling sick or cause actual diarrhea. Also make sure to wear your lightest clothes for the weigh in. You could wear a heavy jacket over them to stay warm and take it off for the weigh in.

I actually picked up dandelion pills and they seem to be helping! I could try the tea but I have never been to big on tea and a pill seemed easier lol
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was actually considering a hair cut Lol. Or balloons on my hair? lmso. Who knows?
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...

You can vegetarian low carb easily if you eat eggs and cheese. Sticking to things like cottage cheese and eggs for protein and eating just vegetables along with that would be a starting point for low carbing.

Aren't vegetables high in carbs? Otherwise that was pretty much the plan. Vegetables with egg and a little cheese plus the occasiona fruit.

Depends on the vegetables. Fibrous vegetables aren't very high carb.

Well this was my list:

Spinach and arugala
    green onion
    yellow onion
    avocado
    lime
    raspberries
    green apples
    Deli cheese x 2
    Smart Cups
    Hard Boiled eggs for salad
    low calorie dressing
    Hint water
    V8 Spicy
    Vegetable broth
    baby carrots
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    celery
    cremini mushrooms? or jarred mushrooms
    gravy (look for low sodium)
    parmesan

Not planning on eating anything not on it. Should I cut something out? lol

I know your money is tight, but this list is woefully low on protein and I see some higher sodium items on it you might want to limit like the deli cheese, veggie broth, and V8.

Unlike the other poster, I don't blame you for wanting an occasional apple.

The other stuff is occasional as well. Doing good so far keeping sodium between 1000-2000 or less rather than my usual 3500 lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You should really read the rest of the thread.

Sorry. I was reading while drunk. My bad.

Lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I don't blame you for wanting an occasional apple (lol). Just pointing out that they are a bit "carby" so you might want to limit them. The hint water and smart cups sound fine.

When I want a whoosh of water weight I eat eggs, pork chops (for some reason I always see my weight drop after a dinner of pork chops and green beans), and tuna with mayo (no bread or crackers). But you're vegetarian so only the eggs could help :D

Good luck!

Thank you very much! Man I could go for tuna lol I have some vegan tuna but its all processed and the most processed anything Im doing is dips or salsas that are low cal and from the deli of our neighborhood market not normal prepacked ones..except my italian dressing. They dont make that at the deli lol
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Berries are the best fruits for low carbing. I'd eliminate carrots as well from your list for the time being, they are very sugary. Onions are carby as well, but typically you wouldn't sit there and eat an entire onion the way you would an apple. But then again, I don't know you & maybe you would...hard to say lol

Asparagus is a natural diuretic & have you flushing water in no time, if you enjoy it.

I would avoid low-fat/low-cal dressings as well, as they are higher carb than the full fat versions.

Good luck!
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Berries are the best fruits for low carbing. I'd eliminate carrots as well from your list for the time being, they are very sugary. Onions are carby as well, but typically you wouldn't sit there and eat an entire onion the way you would an apple. But then again, I don't know you & maybe you would...hard to say lol

Asparagus is a natural diuretic & have you flushing water in no time, if you enjoy it.

I would avoid low-fat/low-cal dressings as well, as they are higher carb than the full fat versions.

Good luck!

So far I ate 2 cups of sugary carrots and I had sauces (deli made tzatziki and lite italian dressing but only one tsp of the dressing) even had some cheese so there was decent salt (plus other veggies obviously) but a lot less than my usual 3500mg...anyway I already dropped about 1.5lbs in 2 days so I guess it's working. lol I have 6 days left. I ate my normal amount of calories too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

This is incorrect. You are describing what it takes to lose 5 lbs of fat. The OP asked about 5 lbs of weight.

Heck, I've lost 5 lbs of weight overnight on more than one occasion.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

This is incorrect. You are describing what it takes to lose 5 lbs of fat. The OP asked about 5 lbs of weight.

Heck, I've lost 5 lbs of weight overnight on more than one occasion.

Yes silly me - I was trying to give the OP some perspective on what the real goal should be. It seems all the sensible people have dropped off this thread and she's now being encouraged to drop "water weight", so I'll bow out too.