Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

This is incorrect. You are describing what it takes to lose 5 lbs of fat. The OP asked about 5 lbs of weight.

Heck, I've lost 5 lbs of weight overnight on more than one occasion.

Yes silly me - I was trying to give the OP some perspective on what the real goal should be. It seems all the sensible people have dropped off this thread and she's now being encouraged to drop "water weight", so I'll bow out too.

You are not the one to decide what my goal SHOULD be. I AM. And my goal is to win this contest while still being healthy. There is zero issue with dropping water weight - especially since I am over 200lbs and I always eat horrible so I likely have excess water weight on me anyway.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

This is incorrect. You are describing what it takes to lose 5 lbs of fat. The OP asked about 5 lbs of weight.

Yes silly me - I was trying to give the OP some perspective on what the real goal should be. It seems all the sensible people have dropped off this thread and she's now being encouraged to drop "water weight", so I'll bow out too.

Meh. She wants to drop scale weight (water weight) to win a contest to help her with Christmas expenses. It seems like she is well aware that this is not actual fat loss, she doesn't normally eat this way, she doesn't plan to eat this way for long, knows her weight will go right back up once she stops.... Is it "sensible" weight loss? No. But she never claimed it was. Is it a smart strategy for fat loss? No. But she never claimed it was. Will it work to help her lose 5-6 lbs quick so she can win her contest? Maybe. It's worth a shot.

No it's not sensible, and clearly not a healthy way to eat long term. But I'm rooting for her. I hope she wins her contest. I also hope she posts updates (including how much of the loss she regains once she starts eating normally again!). A week of restrictive eating is unlikely to harm her.

I mean it can be a healthy way to eat but I'd die. I need pizza and french fries lol sometimes! & pasta. Pasta is lovely.
  • Verity1111
    Options

What her real goal should be?? You mean what you think her goal should be, right?

Love this. Thank you! I know what my goal is. My goal is to get under 200 (even if it's false weight lol) by the 18th. Maybe I will get lucky and keep the water off but I doubt it Lol Ill want a big greasy slice of pizza because I havent ordered food in months because of this contest. Which is huge for me so Ill want a reward lol. My main goal is to get to 127lbs by sometime next year and to eat more protein, but that's not the point of this thread. :P
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ofcause 17500 cal regards to a burning of 5 lb of fat. To loose 5 lb quick will take may be only 1-2 days when u eat very little, like 500-700 cal a day. U are not gonna die for 2 days, but u'l loose plenty of glutagen and associated with it water. Better off, keep this diet for 4-5 days, then may be even little fat will be burned too. U feel very skinny in stomach area. Actually, this glutagen will escape from all musclses around you body. When u start eating the normal way, glutagen accumulates agein and stores all water associated with it.
    I can do this very often. At my weight 125 lb, I can go up and down 7-8 lb from 132lb to 124 within 3 days. But for this I have to eat 500-600 cal a day and almost no carbs. Why carbs matter? b/c every carb molecule attaches 4 molecules of water. In average, if you eat 100 g of carbs your weight increases 400g. You may do this experiment any day.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Ofcause 17500 cal regards to a burning of 5 lb of fat. To loose 5 lb quick will take may be only 1-2 days when u eat very little, like 500-700 cal a day. U are not gonna die for 2 days, but u'l loose plenty of glutagen and associated with it water. Better off, keep this diet for 4-5 days, then may be even little fat will be burned too. U feel very skinny in stomach area. Actually, this glutagen will escape from all musclses around you body. When u start eating the normal way, glutagen accumulates agein and stores all water associated with it.
    I can do this very often. At my weight 125 lb, I can go up and down 7-8 lb from 132lb to 124 within 3 days. But for this I have to eat 500-600 cal a day and almost no carbs. Why carbs matter? b/c every carb molecule attaches 4 molecules of water. In average, if you eat 100 g of carbs your weight increases 400g. You may do this experiment any day.

I "think" the word you're looking for is- Glycogen :wink:

I'm eating more than 500 calories and I'm down 3lbs in 3 days lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I wish I could give you a bowl of this soup I had for lunch.
    It is having an adverse effect on me which I am sure will lead to a temporary drop of a few pounds by the end of the day.
    Woe is me.

Not really wishing the soup on anyone.

Not cheers, h.

I want soup! So bad. lol. thinking of making one in the microwave Lol. I read a recipe online for super easy soup.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting the last couple weeks with intermittent fasting; two days a week I only eat dinner. And my weight is always a bit low after a fast day. Maybe the day before the weigh in you could fast?
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I've been experimenting the last couple weeks with intermittent fasting; two days a week I only eat dinner. And my weight is always a bit low after a fast day. Maybe the day before the weigh in you could fast?

I've already been considering that lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Verity, I am so nervous for you!!! I hope you win :+1:
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Since you only have to take a picture of your feet on the scale, I would say...
    Step 1 - eat some pizza
    Step 2 - lean on the towel rack or counter while you take your picture

Voila!

Lol I weigh in the kitchen. Not sure if my weight would be different in our bathroom. Also our tiles are all broke up so idk how even it is lol cheap *kitten* sink would probably break lmso
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Verity, I am so nervous for you!!! I hope you win :+1:

Thank you!
  • soda80
    soda80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The suspense is killing me :#
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Sweat it out too? Saunas
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs in 3 days once, when I was only 105 to begin with. I was 16 and barfing my brains out. Do not recommend.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    soda80 wrote: »
    The suspense is killing me :#

LOL Youre great. I have 6 days left! So far Im down at least 2.5lbs in 2-3 days