Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I lost 10lbs in 3 days once, when I was only 105 to begin with. I was 16 and barfing my brains out. Do not recommend.

This was great lol like totally pointless in a way but funny. Thanks for sharing your misery. Im glad it wasnt recent
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I lost 10lbs in 3 days once, when I was only 105 to begin with. I was 16 and barfing my brains out. Do not recommend.

This was great lol like totally pointless in a way but funny. Thanks for sharing your misery. Im glad it wasnt recent

Nope, that was a very long time ago. Yup, totally useless information for you, but people seem to enjoy a good "someone else barfed their brains out" story. Mainly because it wasn't them at that moment, but we have all (I am assuming here) done it at one time or another.

Honestly, I swing back and forth between being concerned for what you are doing and understanding it. Or maybe it's a balance between them. I do understand why you are doing it. The concern comes from reading about your past in conjunction with some of your other posts.

Regardless, I wish you well.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Nope, that was a very long time ago. Yup, totally useless information for you, but people seem to enjoy a good "someone else barfed their brains out" story. Mainly because it wasn't them at that moment, but we have all (I am assuming here) done it at one time or another.

Honestly, I swing back and forth between being concerned for what you are doing and understanding it. Or maybe it's a balance between them. I do understand why you are doing it. The concern comes from reading about your past in conjunction with some of your other posts.

Regardless, I wish you well.

Lol. Im fine. People worry too easily on here. I've been doing great lately. I have heartburn now though...totally off topic lol ate hot sauce with some vegetables and it didnt go well
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

uh that's to lose 5lbs of fat...not water and fat

So you're planning to intentionally become severely dehydrated,
    Damage your kidneys, liver & intestines ?

in hopes to win some contest ?

You might as well cut off your arm to lose 5 pounds for your contest.

• BDPartyTime
    BDPartyTime Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jh636 wrote: »
    Keto

Keto is a process that takes time to achieve. It's unlikely to help in this specific case as becoming keto-adapted generally takes about a month and OP has only a week.

Actually, you see the benefits of it within a week of starting when your body releases water weight used to break glucose down. Depending on your current weight/eating habits, you can lose over 10 lbs of water weight in that time.
    It takes 24h to transition into ketosis, but about 2-4 weeks to be keto adapted to be burning fat as your staple energy source.

I'm seconding keto if you are really serious about this. I'd look into the side effect of the transitioning into ketosis since you will need more minerals and electrolytes to not suffer from the dreaded 'keto flu'.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

Don't be overly dramatic ..it's just like contest prep for body builders and won't do damage in the short term

what else could you lose.... mmmmmm. Let. me. think.
    A brain weighs almost 5 pounds.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options

Don't be overly dramatic ..it's just like contest prep for body builders and won't do damage in the short term

Short term water weight manipulation is not harmful nor going to cause any metabolic damage. Bodybuilders due it all the time and for longer periods of time than the OP. Hell, I could manipulate glycogen now and lose an easy 7-10 lbs.

OP, get as close to very low carb (keto as possible) and you should probably stop exercising now as your body tends to retain fluids for muscle repair. As you approach keto though, you may need to increase sodium to help with electrolyte balance. Eating plenty of potassium and magnesium (darky leafy greens) will provide balance to the electrolytes and ward off some weight increases from sodium.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Short term water weight manipulation is not harmful nor going to cause any metabolic damage. Bodybuilders due it all the time and for longer periods of time than the OP. Hell, I could manipulate glycogen now and lose an easy 7-10 lbs.

OP, get as close to very low carb (keto as possible) and you should probably stop exercising now as your body tends to retain fluids for muscle repair. As you approach keto though, you may need to increase sodium to help with electrolyte balance. Eating plenty of potassium and magnesium (darky leafy greens) will provide balance to the electrolytes and ward off some weight increases from sodium.

TIL beginner with health issues = expert bodybuilder and should do the same things. Brb going to do some motorcross now
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

TIL beginner with health issues = expert bodybuilder and should do the same things. Brb going to do some motorcross now

That's just being extra dramatic.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    PS I wouldn't have an issue with most people doing this, I don't even have a huge issue with you trying but with your history and your posting history I can totally see why those who give a damn are concerned

I'm just channelling Scarlett O'Hara

For the sake of my kids? I am doing just fine for my kids. And I fail to see how my past reflects my future. I'm not a murderer. Unless it's something serious the past shouldn't reflect on one's future in my opinion.
  • Verity1111
    Options

That's just being extra dramatic.

I have no idea what motorcross is so all the same lol
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options

Geeze very dramatic lol the body is an average of 50-65% water (for adults) and 5 lbs is no where near anything major for someone over 200lbs. Lol

• Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options

This is incorrect. You are describing what it takes to lose 5 lbs of fat. The OP asked about 5 lbs of weight.

Heck, I've lost 5 lbs of weight overnight on more than one occasion.

Yes silly me - I was trying to give the OP some perspective on what the real goal should be. It seems all the sensible people have dropped off this thread and she's now being encouraged to drop "water weight", so I'll bow out too.

This whole thread is a bit shocking to me, to be honest. In the original post, I'm reading words like bloated, poor eating, stomach pains all the time, and then to see it followed by all these tips on losing 5 lbs fast. I guess all you have to do is mention you're a parent trying to feed your kids (the first one ever, evidently) and you can get all the unhealthy fad dieting advice you want.

It's not that I'm insensitive to your being a parent, Verity1111, but what about teaching your kids about actions and consequences? You didn't put in the work to truly lose this amount of weight on time. How about maybe let this one go and properly work at something else in the future? You've got plenty of great advice on how you can still give your kids a great Christmas without needing to resort to the gimmicks. I think you'll do much more for them than taking what I believe is the massive shortcut detailed in this thread.

How about mind your own business? I have lost 20lbs since October 11th. That means I lost 20lbs in 8 weeks or an average of 2.5lbs a week working my rear off. People lost water weight for competitions ALL the time AND I haven't *kitten* in days and I was retaining water from the 3500mh of salt a day I eat since you need me to be blunt. In fact many are trained to lose weight so even so it isn't that damn serious. 5lbs of (part) water when the body is 50-65% is not harmful and is actually a normal fluctuation. I am just causing it on purpose by changing the foods I eat. I think you need to learn some tact and how to respect other people and mind your own business when all you can do is complain. Really nothing I am doing is unhealthy. My kids are just fine and with that attitude I hope you don't have any to pass the rudeness down to. Eating healthier IS a good example for my kids. What I am doing is healthy. So stop acting like I'm eating a banana a day. There is a difference between weight loss advice that is asked for and commenting on someone as a parent. If we were face to face oh this would of a lot differently. You are crossing lines that are truly ignorant and none of your business.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options

This is incorrect. You are describing what it takes to lose 5 lbs of fat. The OP asked about 5 lbs of weight.

Heck, I've lost 5 lbs of weight overnight on more than one occasion.

Yes silly me - I was trying to give the OP some perspective on what the real goal should be. It seems all the sensible people have dropped off this thread and she's now being encouraged to drop "water weight", so I'll bow out too.

This whole thread is a bit shocking to me, to be honest. In the original post, I'm reading words like bloated, poor eating, stomach pains all the time, and then to see it followed by all these tips on losing 5 lbs fast. I guess all you have to do is mention you're a parent trying to feed your kids (the first one ever, evidently) and you can get all the unhealthy fad dieting advice you want.

It's not that I'm insensitive to your being a parent, Verity1111, but what about teaching your kids about actions and consequences? You didn't put in the work to truly lose this amount of weight on time. How about maybe let this one go and properly work at something else in the future? You've got plenty of great advice on how you can still give your kids a great Christmas without needing to resort to the gimmicks. I think you'll do much more for them than taking what I believe is the massive shortcut detailed in this thread.

How about mind your own business? I have lost 20lbs since October 11th. That means I lost 20lbs in 8 weeks or an average of 2.5lbs a week working my rear off. People lost water weight for competitions ALL the time AND I haven't *kitten* in days and I was retaining water from the 3500mh of salt a day I eat since you need me to be blunt. In fact many are trained to lose weight so even so it isn't that damn serious. 5lbs of (part) water when the body is 50-65% is not harmful and is actually a normal fluctuation. I am just causing it on purpose by changing the foods I eat. I think you need to learn some tact and how to respect other people and mind your own business when all you can do is complain. Really nothing I am doing is unhealthy. My kids are just fine and with that attitude I hope you don't have any to pass the rudeness down to. Eating healthier IS a good example for my kids. What I am doing is healthy. So stop acting like I'm eating a banana a day. There is a difference between weight loss advice that is asked for and commenting on someone as a parent. If we were face to face oh this would of a lot differently. You are crossing lines that are truly ignorant and none of your business.

Given your post history, what you are doing looks like a fad diet. You are eating more healthily compared to what you were eating, but it looks to be incredibly short term. I'm not sure I'd call what you're doing healthy; it's not unhealthy, but you seem to be learning about water weight manipulation and little to nothing about sustainable food choices that lead to maintainable fat loss.

I already know how to maintain fat loss. I have many many times. I only gained from being bedridden and when pregnant. I can eat pizza everyday and maintain fat loss. It is all calories in calories out. Who says I am worried about how healthy I eat as far as *what* I eat? I am doing this to win a contest. The point is that my kids are no one's business at all. That is crossing a major line and she is blocked now anyway. They don't see me eat anyway so really it is irrelevent. We don't have a kitchen big enough for a table so we can't eat together most times and even if we do we all (each individual) eat different foods. Also people are saying losing 5lbs of water + fat mixed is unhealthy if I am doing it by changing my diet which makes zero sense. Literally all I did was start eating more healthy foods than usual.