Replies

• ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janetr: I think that sharing your pictures is a generous thing to do and that it will inspire others with hope. :heart:

DJ: It was great to see your post. I love the cartoon, and wonder about the third foot. :bigsmile:

Sherry: Congratulations on loose jeans! When your clothes start to out-grow you it is absolute proof you are succeeding. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Leonora: (((HUGS)))

Lisa: I love the idea of the book you mentioned. I'm going to try to find Mini-Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results. :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: Now you've got me wondering which Winnie the Pooh character I am most like. :grumble: (DH thinks I'm an Eyeore and I think so, too. I always think of why things are impossible and finally get around to doing them.) :laugh:

Carol: Prayers for you and for your mom. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

KJLaMore: Butter My Butt & Call Me a Biscuit & How to Hug A Porcupine look like good choices for the bathroom readers. :smiley:

It is snowing again this morning & I may bail out on yoga. The flakes are really big and that makes me think it is warming up and likely to melt. I haven't decided for sure. I am dressed and ready to go. I will go to the foodbank later today to drop off the wreaths even if it keeps snowing. I just noticed that the big snowflakes are turning to rain. It will be a sloppy mess outside in no time if this keeps up.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

christmas-tree-gifts.gif
  • Katla49
    Options
  • pamwix
    pamwix Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I enjoy reading your post, being a newbie I don't understand all of the abbreviations. I don't know how to copy your post to comment on. Your support for others is amazing. I would like to become friends with people who log their food on mfp. I have more success when I am accountable to others as well as myself. Wishing you all a wonderful, safe, and healthy week.

It is still very warm in south Florida. Miami broke a record high temperature the other day. Wishing for a chill in the air to enjoy this weekend and turn off the a/c. Pam in south florida.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pam Great to have you on board. We do use a ton of abbreviations, DH = dear or d##m husband, DS = Dear son, MIL = mother in law etc. NSV = non-scale victory like your clothes are too big or you don't give in to a crazy food binge or walk away from a cookie, or someone notices that you appear slimmer.
    CICO= calories in and calories out, those are a few of the most common abbreviations.

Some of us post every day, others once in a while, but the more we log our food and exercise honestly, the faster this works. Some of us are after better health (using mfp helped me lower my blood pressure) and others to lose weight, others to get stronger muscles and endurance. I must have read this forum for months before deciding to post and it is a little overwhelming but oh so worth it. I've gotten a lot of support and encouragement from the ladies on this forum. I am very thankful I wandered in and decided to stick around!

NYKAREN
  • jean060
    jean060 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I've not checked in for a while........had a bad couple of weeks foodwise........nothing I can blame it on......perhaps time of year.......long dark winter days do get to me...........going to try to be sensible in run up to Xmas at least then back to it straight after......have a god Christams all xx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tried to send an e-mail address for some cartoons DH sent the email came up but did not turn blue. This is the address: <shroa13@embarqmail.com>

:heart: Margaret
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Carol – No luck for either of them; saw a whole lot of them, just could not get a shot. One they saw will probably have the others ‘hunting him down’ … big rack, big deer. Can’t keep that secret very long. All three of them saw deer, DOS and DYS were bow-hunting, so that means they need to be closer. Saw a few small bucks; but, by that time, they were looking for a doe to have meat. DOS will be hunting behind us or at a friend’s … hopefully, he will get one, especially since his family depend on venison as the ‘red’ meat. Yes, so happy for him to be home. It was a rough week. Hardest thing was watching his ‘cry’ about wanting to be nearer to DYS. Wondering if (before he got married) if he felt the same way when we drove off after visiting him for a week. I miss my ‘baby’; but, Louisiana is now ‘home’ to him.
    I’m sorry your Mom had to be put in the hospital. The Lord will call her home when He wants her precious self with him; when all of you are able to accept it.

Meredith – If you had been tracking before you hit that plateau, maybe you can look back and see what you might have been doing different from when you were ‘losing’ weight. Sometimes we need to do something to ‘shock’ our system ‘off that plateau. Maybe changing your diet for a couple of days. I went OFF hormones because I was in that ‘killer-in-anything-moves’ mode and I did not like it. Had tried me on month long, no week off; that only made it worse for me. Had hysterectomy at age 35; for a year of Hell … now nothing since. Other than I do get ‘cold’ and the only thing I have is a pair of ‘flamingo slippers’ that my DOGD gave me (early) for Christmas. I had to sew them back up after “Cracker” decided they were her toys. I don’t know ‘how she got them off the end of the bed’; but, I knew something was going on when she slinked out of our MBR and went directly to her bed. I wanted to cry (and then ‘kill’ her; but, she is only a baby) … so I got out the tread and needle and put just a little ‘extra’ stuffing in the neck so they would not flop over. I just transferred them from my cellphone to my laptop. When I figure out what to do with them, I will post a picture of my ‘so tacky, they’re cute flamingo slippers’.

KJ – That saying, “Well, butter my butt, and call me a biscuit” is a well-known Southern saying. Usually, when someone has said something to you that is ‘stupid (sounding)’. Done with just enough sarcasm that it embarrasses them enough to stop talking ‘like they think all around them have no earthly idea what they are talking about’; or that ‘you, specifically, don’t have a brain in your head.

Katla – the “How to Hug A Porcupine” book isn’t something I want in the bathroom at this point; for the 2nd time in 65 years … I think I must have sat on one. I think I have a small hemorrhoid and it is killing me.
    Dogs eating at Christmas dinner was soooooooooo funny.

Pam – Hit the “Quote” sign while in the post you want to respond to, it will take it to the part (last page) and you can then go into and delete the parts that are not part of what you want to post to). I see someone has already told you about the ‘initials’ or ‘acronyms’. DDnL# can also mean ‘dear’ or ‘d##m’ and we do talk about them about them and our DDnL, DOGD DOGD (granddaughter, grandson) if you have more than one.
    I agree with NYKAREN – that tracking both food and exercise (and some drinks – soda or beer or whiskey) are part of the CICO. Some ‘eat back their calories’, ‘exercise more so they can do so’, and others ‘try’ to stay within their caloric intake and don’t count back the calories; but, still show it. This is a ‘huge’ site … some of us open up a word processing program so we can respond to numerous people. One thing you cannot do without losing what you post, is going back a page, UNLESS you post what is one that current page. There are other icons at the bottom, most are self-explanatory (“Flagging”) someone means you have a choice as to why you think something is something that should not be posted here and why. We try NOT to talk about ‘politics’ or ‘religion’ because we have so many people on this sight that either have differing opinions, or it is not relevant to them, if they live in another country. You can generally tell where they are from based on the ‘general/specific’ location that they sign their post with, and to differentiate between those that have the same name. Make sure you are on he ‘last’ box of postings to make sure it is where you want it to be; when you come back, it will take you back to your last post (actually the next post after your last). Some of us put a smiley face or something (letter or number) in a ‘new’ posting box; because it is easier to make sure it was your last posting. And also to make sure that someone posting at the same time can also been read. Barbiecat will post a link to the next month on the last day of the present month. Just make sure you ‘bookmark’ that page by clicking on the outline of the star; then when you want to come back hit the gray star and it will drop down any of the pages you have ‘bookmarked’ beside this one. I found this site a couple of years ago and ‘love’ it and the ‘ladies’ here because of the support and encouragement I get from them. Since it is ‘supposed’ to be ‘only’ ladies … we are comfortable to also ‘B****’ about family, DHs, children, jobs, and just about anything that is ‘bothering up’.
    I’ve been on some sites that are obviously ‘trolling’ sites and some have gotten down-right raunchy.
    Adding pictures is the icon of the page with the upper right-hand corner turned down. The ‘link’ looks like a link, between the smiley face and icon to add pictures. Most of the other icons are icons like you’d find in a Word Processing or email program. If you want to add color then type … then to change it back (right up against the name or word, anywhere in your post. NO spaces. color=red; then the 'brackets' will automatically appear around whatever you have 'highlighted', such as a name or a word or phrase.

This last week, we seem to have a lot of 'moody' DH or children; and, a lot of us were 'crying'. Might have been the 'big' full moon; or just the season which, for some of us, is not our favorite time of the year.

Lenora
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey now.....

Allie - lol, I downloaded that app too!! I haven't tried it yet but I will in a day or two....you say it's much better with headphones??...I will have to use mine then, right off the bat....I downloaded soooo many apps I'm surprised I didn't go over on my data plan on my phone, lol....thankfully I bought a micro SD card for my tablet so now I have all kinds of room for storage of all the apps....lol....

Didn't sleep so good last night....not getting my walk in and doing my PT exercises on Saturday makes my back, left hip and left buttcheek really hurt bad.....I guess that's what I get for being lazy.....although all that crying is very fatiguing which makes it worse and gives me a freakin' headache.....I hate crying.....

That book, "Butter my butt and call me a biscuit" sounds like it would be hilarious!!.....will see if I can find it at Powell's Books when I'm in Portland one of these times....

Carol - I'm sooo sorry to hear about your mom....my heart goes out to you both and I will light a candle and say a bunch of prayers for her in hopes her transition (if that is what happens) goes smoothly and pain free....

Lenora - oh sweetie!!! Great big (((hugs))) for you and your DH....I have my fingers crossed that you get to go next time and can spend time with him....I hate to see my friends in physical or emotional pain....

This week will be busy for me....I have a meeting with the webmaster of the Dufur website and blogs on Tuesday so he can show me how to access and update the blogs......then Wednesday the TV tech is supposed to be here that morning (cross your fingers and hope I get some freakin' service this time!)....then Thursday I have two appts at the mental health clinic, one is my counselor and the other is the psychiatrist who prescribes my meds ( she is gonna have to come up with something else to help me sleep as the Prazosin is not cuttin' it and I just don't think upping the dose again is gonna do it...)....then Friday I can rest.....today I hope to get two walks in and get all my steps and get my "house" cleaned up....it's not really a mess, I'm just kinda really anal about a clean house......and believe it or not my bedroom when I was a teenager looked like a cyclone went through it all the time...go figure!!....

Boy I had a lot of emails to go through last night when I went to bed....been kinda ignoring them the last few nights as I have been reading the "Strong Women Stay Young" book that Barbie got me....very interesting read!!....I read kinda slowly (cuz of the TBI when I was 3) so I haven't gotten very far in it, but it's the only way I can retain info when I read....i tried to take Speed Reading in high school to help with speed and retention but it only helped the retention part a little....oh well, I do the best I can....

Well, I should go for now....time to medicate and think about eating something for lunch....then I gotta get busy on the housecleaning....and get my first walk in for the day....and get some things from the little store.....and get a medical survey and some other things mailed off....and do my PT exercises....and....and....and....lol....it's just a never-ending battle isn't it??....lol....think I'll suck down some Diet Mt. Dew with lunch for a kick start....OK, I'm off "to the races" as my foster mom used to say!!....talk to you all later....

Sherry in "what's for lunch??" Dufur
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    My elder son has at last texted me about when he is coming. 27th through to 28th. He is boarding the dogs as he fears they will attack his father's cat. (That's what they are trained for)
    Lots of laundry and cleaning for a whole week of changing visitors, but I have been very sensible and booked us in to the walkable pub for dinner. Not fancy food, but edible. I am pleased I am at last learning sense. You ladies have helped with that. Can't do everything. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Before I forget....

Hey KJ - can I come and play with the play-doh too??....lol...I used to love that stuff when I was a kid, had the play-doh fun factory (I think that's what is was called) too!!...I promise I won't throw it!...lol...

Later peeps!!

Sherry in "it's getting warmer here" Dufur
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    My elder son has at last texted me about when he is coming. 27th through to 28th. He is boarding the dogs as he fears they will attack his father's cat. (That's what they are trained for)
    Lots of laundry and cleaning for a whole week of changing visitors, but I have been very sensible and booked us in to the walkable pub for dinner. Not fancy food, but edible. I am pleased I am at last learning sense. You ladies have helped with that. Can't do everything. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Way to go, very proud of you. You are definitely the most gracious hostess I know :) Enjoy all your company and I know they are going to love all the great dishes you have prepared. I'm sure they will appreciate all the hard work and love you have put into them. I read once "treat you company like family, and your family like company", it has always stayed with me.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Options
    :heart:
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Sorry haven't been able to read all posts as its been raining since we've been in Spain and Wifi not working in apartment In a local bar at the moment rain has stopped hopefully for good
    Look after yourselves

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Carol~ my love and prayers go to you and your mom, such a hard time for things to go wrong..
    went to the pool and floated for awhile.. but you know how you feel when you have got a tad to much sun, came home took a nap.. they open our park tonight from 6-8 to the public to come see the Christmas Lights.. so there will be traffic...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Katla I loved the video of the dogs with hands. So funny, really just adorable. Thank you so much for posting!

Penny I didn't know about the avalanche, how tragic for all of you. I hope today's memorial helped a little with the healing. I am so sorry for all of you...and sad for the families of the father and the little girl who died.

Karen in Virginia
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    waiting patiently for a couple of dumplings to get done in some chicken soup.......I hear the Jeopardy theme music in my head....... I shall write more after..... I be hungry!
    Thanks for the kind words about my "Christmas Rules" list. And Kim you wish to needlepoint it....ah heck just entitle it "Rebecca's Ramblings on a Pillow At Christmas......hahaha... ((((hugs ya))))) My adoption papers are still being formatted as I type this. I think I shall adopt you all.
    Becca
    Oregon