Id love some advice

Options
Greetings all!
I'll make this short and sweet :) So i have high blood pressure and i know i really need to lose weight. However when i workout, usually after, i get a wicked spell of vertigo that goes away after a minute or 2. I know its attributed to my bp being high from working out, but heres where im confused. Im 270, id like to reach 240-250. How can i do this if i cant work out? Its discouraging to think that i cant do anything to meet my goal :(
What exercises would you guys recommend to still start my journey again, without hurting myself? :(
Thanks for your time, guys!

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with just a calorie deficit, if you aren't able to exercise yet. You can walk, lift weights, take the elliptical or treadmill at a slower pace. And try not to change position too quickly...if you're laying on a bench doing exercises, sit and settle, then stand and settle before you start walking.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    First, weight loss can be done without exercise. So that's a plus. Second, swimming or walking are both great ways to gently increase your calorie burn.

Aim for the calorie goal MFP gives you. Weigh your food. Log diligently. As you get closer to your goals, and you are feeling better, increase activity. There are some great threads to read to get you started.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor about whether you are medically approved to exercise, and what type.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You got to go the diet route, before you can get into the condition where you can sustain exercise. By diet, I do not mean self deprivation. I mean changing the way you eat, because we all have a diet. Start eating healthier. More fruits and veggies. Less fried, greasy foods. Get into the habit of preparing your own meals. Pinterest has lots of good recipes. Look at how bodybuilders like Jay Cutler and Kai Green eat on Youtube. Switch from enriched wheat flower products to whole grains. Cut back on sugar. It takes time to revamp your diet, so don't get discouraged. Just keep incorporating healthier options little by little. It's can seem hard at first, but you'll start getting used to it in time, and it gets easier. Also, cut back on your salt/ sodium intake.
    Going for walks might be good.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    You got to go the diet route, before you can get into the condition where you can sustain exercise. By diet, I do not mean self deprivation. I mean changing the way you eat, because we all have a diet. Start eating healthier. More fruits and veggies. Less fried, greasy foods. Get into the habit of preparing your own meals. Pinterest has lots of good recipes. Look at how bodybuilders like Jay Cutler and Kai Green eat on Youtube. Switch from enriched wheat flower products to whole grains. Cut back on sugar. It takes time to revamp your diet, so don't get discouraged. Just keep incorporating healthier options little by little. It's can seem hard at first, but you'll start getting used to it in time, and it gets easier. Also, cut back on your salt/ sodium intake.

The average person does not need to eat like a pro body builder......

Above all, follow MFP's calorie suggestion for *your* body. Working on making healthier choices is a good idea, but calorie deficit is key.

I know the average person doesn't need to eat like a bodybuilder. It's just motivational and educational to me. You can take bits and pieces from it, or watch what people who you consider motivational do.
    A calorie deficit isn't going to help much with high blood pressure, if she's getting too much sodium in her diet.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Above all, follow MFP's calorie suggestion for *your* body. Working on making healthier choices is a good idea, but calorie deficit is key.

I know the average person doesn't need to eat like a bodybuilder. It's just motivational and educational to me. You can take bits and pieces from it, or watch what people who you consider motivational do.
    A calorie deficit isn't going to help much with high blood pressure, if she's getting too much sodium in her diet.

Jay Cutler motivates me to eat more french fries.
    http://www.fitnflexed.com/article/jay-cutler-asked-about-iifym-interviewer-baffled
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

I don't believe she was asking how to improve her blood pressure, she was asking how she could lose weight.
    Weight loss can in fact help lower blood pressure. So, yeah, I guess you could say that a calorie deficit *could* help with BP too.
    I'm not saying don't attempt to eat healthier. A person could eat like those guys and gain weight though, which is not going to help her achieve her goal of weight loss.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As most have said, losing weight is more about the intake than the burn.

That being said, working out is extremely important as well. A couple of issues you can look into is hydration and not cooling down. Dehydration is definitely a cause for feeling light headed when working out. If you primarily feel light headed after working out (rather than during), it could very well be that you're stopping short. Try taking 5 minutes to gradually cool down. If you're running, slow your pace and walk for a few minutes. If you're walking fast, just slow your pace. One of the guys on our running group, who is a super fit and fast runner, absolutely must cool down or he feels he will faint.

I would also suggest taking your blood pressure after your workout to see if it's actually higher than while you're exercising.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    richln wrote: »

http://www.fitnflexed.com/article/jay-cutler-asked-about-iifym-interviewer-baffled

Quoting the article- "there's a lot about flexible dieting that the haters don't understand."
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

Quoting the article- "there's a lot about flexible dieting that the haters don't understand."

Are you calling me a hater? lol
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    As others have said, all you need to do to lose weight is eat less. If exercise gives you vertigo, aim to just slightly increase your activity level by walking more throughout the day.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

I don't believe she was asking how to improve her blood pressure, she was asking how she could lose weight.
    Weight loss can in fact help lower blood pressure. So, yeah, I guess you could say that a calorie deficit *could* help with BP too.
    I'm not saying don't attempt to eat healthier. A person could eat like those guys and gain weight though, which is not going to help her achieve her goal of weight loss.

The idea is to eat "clean". You don't have to eat as much as they do. I know they're on roids, so normal people aren't going to be duplicating their regimens, but they're inspirational. It's about getting ideas to form something for yourself, not just copying exactly what someone else is doing.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

Are you calling me a hater? lol

I didn't say that
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options

The idea is to eat "clean". You don't have to eat as much as they do. I know they're on roids, so normal people aren't going to be duplicating their regimens, but they're inspirational. It's about getting ideas to form something for yourself, not just copying exactly what someone else is doing.

There is no consensus on eating "clean."

@Kurriana - eat what you like to eat, just a bit less of it than you need to maintain your current weight.
    I think one of the best tools I have is to log everything and learn from my food log. I didn't change my food all at once, it was a process of adding more vegetables to my meals and buying fewer "treat" type foods. One day at a time I made changes.

All I did was walk for 45 minutes 3-5 times a week. I lost 70 pounds in 2007-08. I still weigh in the mid-low of my BMI.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Kai Greene motivates me to try to eat 9 lbs of beef every day. That is only 36 quarter-pound burgers (throwing aways the buns of course to make it clean).
    http://muscle-insider.com/features/how-predator-kai-greene-trains-supplements-and-eats
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Kurriana wrote: »
    Greetings all!
    I'll make this short and sweet :) So i have high blood pressure and i know i really need to lose weight. However when i workout, usually after, i get a wicked spell of vertigo that goes away after a minute or 2. I know its attributed to my bp being high from working out, but heres where im confused. Im 270, id like to reach 240-250. How can i do this if i cant work out? Its discouraging to think that i cant do anything to meet my goal :(
    What exercises would you guys recommend to still start my journey again, without hurting myself? :(
    Thanks for your time, guys!

Just repeating what has already been said here and I agree with:
    1. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Your MFP calorie goal is before exercise, so if you eat that amount, you will lose weight. You don't have to cut out any specific foods to lose weight, although obviously if your doctor suggested you avoid something due to your medical condition, that's a different story.
    2. Is it possible you aren't eating enough? If you are doing a strenuous workout, you should log it and eat back some of the calories.
    3. Walking is a great exercise to start with and work your way up if you want to as you progress.
    4. I would say I think a doctor's visit would still be a good idea to make sure the issue was your BP and to make sure it is okay for you to exercise right now.

Good luck!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As others have stated, weight loss will be from your diet (calories in vs calories out) and while exercising does impact on the calories out, its a very small impact. I have high BP as well so a couple of tips that have worked for me and to be mindful of if your working out is in regards to weight lifting. Also, I am not a Dr., so I am not telling you to do or not do...I am just relaying information I have learned.

If you wear a weight lifting belt, make sure you don't go too tight or think about not wearing one at all for a while (link below if you want the research behind it) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232162207_The_Effects_of_a_Weight_Training_Belt_on_Blood_Pressure_During_Exercise

Related to above is anything that causes intra-abdominal and intra-thoracic pressure (so think squat and deadlift along with its variants). So even without a belt (the belt allows for greater intra-abdominal and intra-thoracic pressure to be achieved), these types of exercises will cause elevation in blood pressure.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2632751

If you are lying down on a bench for an exercise, be mindful of how fast you stand up. Standing up too fast can cause an immediate drop in pressure which can cause a little dizziness.

Again, just a few things to be watchful of and something you might want to discuss further with your physician.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For one, I'd talk to a doctor to determine what kind of exercise would be suitable for you. If you're light headed/vertigo from your exercise, that tells me that what you're doing most likely exceeds your current fitness capabilities. You don't have to...and shouldn't go from zero to 100 overnight...fitness is something that is built over time.

Secondly, as others have already stated, your calorie target is your target to lose weight without any exercise...you don't have to exercise to lose weight. Regular exercise is ultimately good for your overall health and it can make weight management easier, but it isn't necessary. Most people would do well to just try to move a bit more...when I started out, that was my focus...I wasn't out there killing myself with exercise that I wasn't physically really able to do from a fitness standpoint...I pretty much did nothing but walk for a couple of months.