I need some advice

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I knew a vegetarian was coming to a holiday dinner I would ask them what their favorite holiday vegetarian dish was and I'd make that for them along side everything else. It would be the considerate thing to do. I'd also make sure that I left meat out of other things (like no bacon bits in salad, or on top of broccoli salad, etc.) and put that stuff on the side for anyone who wants it. It's not that big of deal. Granted, I probably wouldn't make a tofurkey (I wouldn't know how) but I'm sure the vegetarian would likely have some recipe they liked that I could handle.

Ditto. Especially my daughter in law.
  • achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Overly sensitive
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian - I love a nice slab 'o meat, but who doesn't make side dishes for Christmas?? It seems bizarre. Are you sure you understood correctly, and they didn't just mean they weren't making a vegetarian MAIN dish? I can't imagine anyone having *just* meat and munchies for Christmas dinner.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    44to44 wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian - I love a nice slab 'o meat, but who doesn't make side dishes for Christmas?? It seems bizarre. Are you sure you understood correctly, and they didn't just mean they weren't making a vegetarian MAIN dish? I can't imagine anyone having *just* meat and munchies for Christmas dinner.

This is what I was thinking too - it would be one thing if they were making sides that contained meat, like putting green beans in the bacon. That would be a bit of a slap in the OP's face. But not making any sides to go with your rib roast? Everyone is missing out there, and it seems very odd to me. Unless they're roasting root veggies along with the roast, in the same pan... But is there bread? Is there anything other than rib roast and carrot sticks? That would never fly with my family, we always have enough food to feed a group 5 times our size!
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You need to talk about how an animal lived happily and now it's dead on the table.

You give thanks for that animal when you say your prayers. Just remember that prior to vegetarians and vegans, people relied on the flesh of an animal to survive. I'm talking when dudes were fig leaves and the ladies were Wilma and Betty. So if you want to put someone down and try to make them feel badly about eating meat, just remember that we wouldn't be here if it weren't for surviving off these animals.

By the way, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being vegan or a vegetarian, because there absolutely isn't. But humans survived on meat long before there was any such idea as being vegan or a vegetarian...
  • benmullins4
    Options
    Because humans survived on meat in the neanderthal age, the OP needs to bring her own veggie food in the house of her in-laws?!

That sounds like a wonderful atmosphere. Red carpet welcome.

I really wish your reading comprehension was above sub-par...
    Unfortunately you are who you are and that isn't going to change

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's rude, they are family, they know better. It's not like it's strangers.

I get really pissed when people invite me places and I have to bring my own darn food, like seriously, you invited me to do what? Sit around and starve or eat sides? I might as well stay home then.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    It's rude, they are family, they know better. It's not like it's strangers.

I get really pissed when people invite me places and I have to bring my own darn food, like seriously, you invited me to do what? Sit around and starve or eat sides? I might as well stay home then.

Because it's all about the food, definitely. Spending time with your loved ones doesn't matter at all. :/
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In my house, if I invite you for dinner, I ask if you have any dietary restrictions. Why? I'm allergic to wheat. My brother gets violently ill from anything containing corn. My son is diabetic. It doesn't take much effort to meet people's dietary needs, if you know what they are. I consider that basic hospitality.
  • benmullins4
    Options
    Because humans survived on meat in the neanderthal age, the OP needs to bring her own veggie food in the house of her in-laws?!

I wish I can reach your level one day. Keep me in your little prayers.

You won't though. And I'll save my prayers for those who truly deserve them
  • benmullins4
    Options

I wish I can reach your level one day. Keep me in your little prayers.

You won't though. And I'll save my prayers for those who truly deserve them
    You don't sound like the one who loses faith in the "power" of prayer this fast.

Sometimes we just know when it's a lost cause
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I just think it's odd that there aren't any side dishes...I like meat, but I couldn't imagine just eating meat and munchies...

Personally, I'm someone who enjoys entertaining and part of that enjoyment comes from my guest's experience. When it comes to entertaining guests, I'm a pretty accommodating guy...I want my guests to feel comfortable and welcome and I want them to enjoy themselves.

We entertain quite a bit, even outside of the holidays...I usually will contact my guests before hand with what I'm considering for the menu to make sure they're ok with this or that or to see if they have aversions to anything (like surprisingly, a lot of people don't like mushrooms).

I had a vegan friend over for Thanksgiving and I made a lentil shepherd's pie for her as none of my other foods and sides were vegan except for the salad...she was appreciative of both the fact that she had somewhere to go for Thanksgiving as well as my willingness to prepare something for her...

So IDK...I guess I don't understand why someone wouldn't be more accommodating if they're hosting/entertaining...

ETA:...crap...I just realized that everything I'm making for my Christmas Eve open house party has meat in it...posole, pork tamales, chicken tamales...bacon wrapped scallops and cold smoked salmon...I'm sure a couple of my vegetarian friends will be stopping by so I'm going to have to rectify that...
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
  • sexxxybrown
    sexxxybrown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband's dad and stepmom have invited us over for dinner xmas evening to eat and exchange gifts. The only problem is that I'm a vegetarian (my entire life) and they aren't planning on having anything other than rib roast and a few munchies, which usually is chips and dip and carrots and celery.
    I asked if I can bring anything and she said anything vegetarian that I would want to eat.
    Is it just me or is it kind of rude to invite to dinner who you know doesn't eat meat, and only serve meat for dinner? Am I just being overly sensitive?

Honestly no you're not being overly sensitive this isn't a new fad for you this is your lifestyle. As your in-laws I'd think they are well aware of this and are being very rude. I'm don't blame your husband for their actions but I do believe he should step in and say something or respectfully decline the invite if his other half won't be accommodated. Not saying they should make a full meal but what would a side dish hurt?
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Are you married to Fred Flinstone?

Just eat before you go and also bring a nice side dish to share with all.

Sounds like there's some passive-aggressive weirdness going on with the meat-only and no side-dish thing, but just rise above it. Don't let it ruin your holiday. I don't think you're crazy.
  • benmullins4
    Options
    Christinith:

I have put together a five point plan on how you may troll your in-laws:

1. Cow farts contribute the highest to greenhouse gases, enjoy the rib roast.
    2. The changing weather patterns caused the ongoing refugee crisis in the middle east
    3. Were these cows humanely raised?
    4. Do you know my contribution to the near extinction of polarbears in the Arctic circa 2075? Nada!
    5. Oh by the way... the cholesterol content in the food I eat is Zero.

@Cutaway_Collar

1- Wouldn't butchering cattle for consumption nullify this first stupid point?
    2- And how is eating meat contributing?
    3- ONLY valid point
    4- How did polar bears get involved? Aren't they already low in numbers, and not because you can buy it in grocery stores?
    5- Does your wife approve your posts prior to you clicking ok?

Mind you, maybe she doesn't want to be a dyck at their family holiday gathering...
  • benmullins4
    Options
    @Cutaway_Collar why the F don't you ever bite?!?!
  • benmullins4
    Options
    Ben, greenhouse gases come out of a green house right? ;)

Duh
  • Christinith77
    Christinith77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up :smiley: haha
  • Christinith77
    Christinith77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just texted the stepmom in law to ask if there will be any sides, and she said shrimp and cocktail sauce. So the dinner is meat and a meat side dish. And the rib roast is for rib roast sandwiches, but no veggies for that kind of sandwich. I guess I can put some carrots and celery that they will have to dip alongside the chips and dip in a bun and eat that while they are eating their sandwiches.