Just tried my fist quest bar

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Never had a Quest bar of the old formula. Had a S'Mores this year and it had a nasty aftertaste. Afterwards, I saw that it had sucralose in it and figured that was the culprit.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    All of the Quest bars are somewhat nasty to me. They are too gummy/chewy/processed. Granted, they have the best macros out there for low calories, high fiber, and high protein. They are also just about as expensive as any others out there. Look around for some 'baked' or 'layered' protein bars. Some will have more sugar, less fiber, but usually will have the same amount of protein. Some might be higher in calories, but many aren't bad. My favorites were always the 'Fit Crunch' by Robert Irvine. There are two sizes if you can find them, snack size which I think was around 190 calories and 16 grams of protein or 300+ calories for 30 grams of protein. I've actually moved away from eating them myself once I hit maintenance because I can afford some extra calories and there's no need for me to spend the money on them now. I used to eat them for a mid-morning snack to bump up my protein intake but now I just make myself a healthy version of a sausage/egg mcmuffin with a low calorie muffin, a fried egg, and some turkey sausage and a slice of cheese. Comes in around 400 calories for up to 25g of protein depending on the type of sausage I use.

FitCrunch are legitimately the most delicious and best textured bars on the market. I need to order some of the new cinnamon ones to try them, as they appear to be a limited time thing.

As mentioned though, they are 380 kcal for the full sized bars, so a pretty big bomb in that area. Most of that is from the fat content though, which is what makes a baked bar so good, imo. I have never had a high fat (18-20+g) protein bar that wasn't delicious, but it can be hard to justify dem kcals, even when I am bulking.

I'd probably go for a Lenny and Larry's for that amount of calories (although not as much protein).
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate chip Quest bars. Never tried the illustrious "old" formula.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    All of the Quest bars are somewhat nasty to me. They are too gummy/chewy/processed. Granted, they have the best macros out there for low calories, high fiber, and high protein. They are also just about as expensive as any others out there. Look around for some 'baked' or 'layered' protein bars. Some will have more sugar, less fiber, but usually will have the same amount of protein. Some might be higher in calories, but many aren't bad. My favorites were always the 'Fit Crunch' by Robert Irvine. There are two sizes if you can find them, snack size which I think was around 190 calories and 16 grams of protein or 300+ calories for 30 grams of protein. I've actually moved away from eating them myself once I hit maintenance because I can afford some extra calories and there's no need for me to spend the money on them now. I used to eat them for a mid-morning snack to bump up my protein intake but now I just make myself a healthy version of a sausage/egg mcmuffin with a low calorie muffin, a fried egg, and some turkey sausage and a slice of cheese. Comes in around 400 calories for up to 25g of protein depending on the type of sausage I use.

FitCrunch are legitimately the most delicious and best textured bars on the market. I need to order some of the new cinnamon ones to try them, as they appear to be a limited time thing.

As mentioned though, they are 380 kcal for the full sized bars, so a pretty big bomb in that area. Most of that is from the fat content though, which is what makes a baked bar so good, imo. I have never had a high fat (18-20+g) protein bar that wasn't delicious, but it can be hard to justify dem kcals, even when I am bulking.

I'd probably go for a Lenny and Larry's for that amount of calories (although not as much protein).

I used to eat a Fit Crunch bar mid-morning, and a Lenny and Larry's cookie in the afternoon. Between the two it was quite a few calories, but I was still working out 90 min a day six days a week then. I've dropped back to 5 days a week now and stopped using protein supplements beyond my morning shake other than the occasional bag of jerky. I seem to do fine if I eat a mid-morning snack involving some sort of meat/egg combo, so I make my lower calorie McMuffins before heading off to work. ;)
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When did Quest change their recipe? Anyone know?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Quest bars in any flavor taste like absolute garbage to me!!!

Try the chocolate mint flavor Clif Builders Bar... it tastes like thin mint Girl Scout cookies, so so yummy!! It's like a candy bar but with 20 grams of protein!

Also here's a good tip- for protein shakes try coconut water instead of plain water or milk as your liquid mixer. So good!! Plus you get extra electrolytes & vitamins & natural sweetness.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Double chocolate chunk and it was disgusting yuk yuk yuk. It's rated by many as one of the best flavours and I love choc but this was just no. Urgh

There bars aren't that good anymore. They used to be great but now they changed formula and they are just OK
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    That changed Quest formula ended my love affair with them. I can't handle the aftertaste they have now. I used to love the chocolate chip cookie dough and white chocolate raspberry flavors. They're terrible now.

YESSSS. I used to eat 4-5 a day now I eat 1 every few months or so.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    garber6th wrote: »
    I used to love Quest bars until they changed the ingredients, now I think they are seriously gross.

Ditto. But even then... bleh. Just can't find a protein bar I really love (I used to love the soft baked pure protein bars but they were available for maybe 3 months).

Same :( I hav not been able to find one I really love as much as them. I find ones that are good but nothing I crave and can eat a ton of at once. (blessing in disguise perhaps?). My protein is about half it used to be. With the bars I used to eat 160g a day now I am lucky if I get 60, ugh.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    When did Quest change their recipe? Anyone know?

Profit. To make them cheaper and easier to make in bulk.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    I love chocolate chip Quest bars. Never tried the illustrious "old" formula.

Omg you are lucky. Most people I know who were huge fans when the old formula was out don't like them anymore but people I know who didn't try them then or only ate them once a week or so during the old formula still like them.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    I remember having a few quest bars and they were amazing. I waited months to get one on sale again, and they were disgusting.

The chocolate mint flavor is alright. But I only know this because I found some marked down well under $1. Worth the risk when that cheap.

This is because of the recipe change :(. I bought liike 60 boxes old formula when I saw the last for sale on ebay months ago but its been months since then and I miss them so much. Never have had a better protein bar than old formula quest. Wish I could still buy them off someone I'd even eat them expired.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who didn't notice a difference between the old and the new formula? They still taste the same to me.
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Omg quest bars are the worst :s
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don't care at all for Quest bars--I think they're gummy and have a weird, fake-sweet taste. But I'm such a big fan of the chocolate peanut butter Clif Builder bars that I subscribe to them on Amazon.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Never tried a Quest bar. Too expensive to me.

Was buying Pure Protein bars from Costco but they recently stopped selling them in favor of their own Kirkland bars. May try the Kirkland bars when I run out of my stock of Pure Protein bars, but the illustration of the Kirkland bars on the box seems really unappealing and there are only 2 flavors.

Love the taste of the Pure Protein bars. They have 20-21g of protein per bar at only 180 to 200 gms (which is as good or better than most) and they are widely available online in more flavors than were sold in the Costco boxes. So, I can always order more in that way if need be.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Am i the only one who didn't notice a difference between the old and the new formula? They still taste the same to me.

I've heard this from people who ate them a few times a week or less frequently. How much did you eat them? I noticed those who ate a lot of them really could tell the difference (I am talking one or more a day LOL).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Way more of an aftertaste for me unfortunately :(

But I'm at the point where a regular nut/granola/fiber bar will be much more satisfying and filling for me than a protein bar anyway.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are nasty to me. :sick:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

Lenny and Larry are my go-to. Not as protein heavy, but they're the best tasting I've had.

As for Cliff Bars, there's a Mexican chocolate released this year that I adore (I'm a sucker for spicy chocolates). I've only seen it once at a Trader Joes. :disappointed: