The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I'm closer to 40 than 30 :'( anyone can add me
  • Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    37 year-old bird here! Olympic weightlifter aiming to maintain weight.
    Would be great to hear from others doing similar. Good luck everyone with your goals. We have a different level of commitment at our age, I believe, and can show amazing resilience and determination.
  • legalsec1234a
    legalsec1234a Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Please add me. I am 53 and on day 2 of my journey. Need all the support I can get!!
  • Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    40 next year. In better shape than my 20s, but keeping my body from falling apart is the real challenge these days.

Congrats on your fitness!

As I've aged, the amount of overhead time added to my workouts to remain healthy has gone way up. Proper warm ups/cool downs, consistent stretching, foam rolling routines and other related stuff like yoga have become a regular part of my routine. Its a bit time consuming, but losing weeks or months to an injury is much worse.

Djproulx, this is where I'm at, too. I have been suffering a bit in between the lifting training sessions and have realised it's just because I need to do more body maintenance- more stretching, rolling, yoga, mobility work etc. I need to find a way to work it into every day! Hope all is going well for you.
  • DomCraigKing
    DomCraigKing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, what a lovely crisp winters morning it is too !

I am really pleased with Myself, stuck to My regime throughout the holiday and managed to move another 3lb's off..what a wonderful wake up that is.

I know that together is better so sharing My success story with you all in the hopes that it motivates you go go harder, do that bit more and get where you want to be.
  • bandb678
    bandb678 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Please add me to the group. Just turned a young 60!
  • Paul02129
    Paul02129 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'll be 51 next week!!!
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    42 in 3 months....add me
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread which I realize not really the most suitable thread...so reposting it here.
    nonafit wrote: »
    I want to be honest. Otherwise I can't get over this baggage I have. My weight issues are beyond fat stored in my body but also emotional demons that springs at the most unlikely time. Below is the post I made in 2012. A one year journey with MFP, I lost 23 kilos. I made many wonderful motivating friends. I logged in religiously and pushed each other. I posted the images below to share my achievement in 2012.
    Joined MFP 11 months ago. Lost a total of 23 kilos (about 50 pounds). And here it got me to! I am not complaining! :bigsmile:

Oct11_Sept12.jpg
    Impact on my face from weight loss.

The first was taken in 2010. At the height of my obesity. I have smile plastered on my face but I was so disgusted with myself that as huge and tall I was; I always pull a disappearing act when come to photo shots. This picture was not possible if I was not attending event back then.
    th_August2010_b.jpg?t=1332771983

That's me 2 weeks after starting with MFP in October 2011. That was about 5 months ago. I don't know what's with that smile. Its annoying!!
    th_October2011.jpg?t=1332771983

My double chin beginning to become single and lonely. :bigsmile: Taken early February 2012. 4 months after the journey began.
    th_IMG-20120120-00145.jpg?t=1332692394

My chin is appearing. Taken beginning of March 2012.
    th_March2012.jpg?t=1332692062

And this one is taken today. I have chin and cheek bones!!! Yay!!!! I still don't like that smile though. I like this one better :bigsmile:
    th_March2012_b.jpg?t=1332771983

I feel really good with the transformation bring me closer and closer to my old self. Its just the beginning of the journey though...there is still long way to go.

A few things happened at the end of my first year of healthy lifestyle journey. I hit a long plateau. I pushed my body too hard on endurance activities. Emotionally it made me feel so good that I neglected the physical damages it was doing to my body. I did not treat my body well and with respect.

In the second year of my journey, in the 1st 6 months:
    1. I did a 12 hour walk while suffering from food poisoning and diarrhea, the last 2 laps I was crawling before I stopped
    2. 2 months later, I did a 12 hour endurance run climbing up a hill - slipped and injured but I pushed till I completed
    3. 2 months after the above, I climbed Mount Kinabalu in heavy rain which took me about 9 hours to reach the 1st base.

With all the above endurance activity and other fitness regime in between, I injured my left knee and ankle bad enough that I could not walk more than 10 minutes pain free. I slowly stopped working out. But I still ate like how I use to when I was working out rigorously. I stopped logging in because I didn't want my friends to see my calories in are always exceeding my calories out.

My weight started to pile up. I didn't take the action needed to recover from my injury. I used the injury as an excuse to be lazy and start eating all the food that I had avoided for the past one year. The ones that made me gained weight in the first place. I had gained almost 14 kilos. I am not proud of myself. It's so easy to fall back, allowing self doubt and self pity. I am angry over my lack of self control which makes me turn to food unknowingly.

Anyway I am back. Hoping this is a lesson that I will not forget. A lesson that will remind me how easy to slip of the wagon when I was really riding on the high note.

I am 98 kilos now and with my waist measuring at 42 inches. There I bare myself. I am wearing gunny sacks. I can't fit into the clothes that I can fit in about 2 years ago. I know this is a familiar story for many.

I need my friends that I had made and lost and new ones whom can motivate and support me. If you are still reading the post to this point..you are definitely one of them. Thank you for listening.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    40 next year. In better shape than my 20s, but keeping my body from falling apart is the real challenge these days.

Congrats on your fitness!

As I've aged, the amount of overhead time added to my workouts to remain healthy has gone way up. Proper warm ups/cool downs, consistent stretching, foam rolling routines and other related stuff like yoga have become a regular part of my routine. Its a bit time consuming, but losing weeks or months to an injury is much worse.

Djproulx, this is where I'm at, too. I have been suffering a bit in between the lifting training sessions and have realised it's just because I need to do more body maintenance- more stretching, rolling, yoga, mobility work etc. I need to find a way to work it into every day! Hope all is going well for you.

Yep, its an absolute necessity for middle aged endurance athletes such as myself. I'm sure it would be helpful to weight lifters as well. I find that with 9-12 hours of training in a typical off season week, tracking my cumulative training fatigue (via Training Peaks) and staying on top of the minor aches (such as my current left hamstring's crankiness) is the key to avoiding more serious long term injuries. As a result, I include specific warm up/cooldown routines as part of my daily workouts. One example is the Myrtl Routine, which provides a dynamic warmup that helps balance and range of motion for runners. Once my workout is done, I head to the mat for stretching, followed by the necessary evil known as foam rolling. Often hurts to do it, but foam rolling with the large cylinder flattens out the muscle fibers in calves, hamstrings, etcetera. I then finish the process by using a lacrosse ball on areas that need more directed pressure, such as the glutes or Plantars Fascia areas.

As a supplement to workouts, I try to get to a gentle yoga session (not power yoga) whenever I can, as well as having a monthly deep tissue massage.
  • argos14
    argos14 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    51 y/o here...feel free to add me too!
  • schris42
    schris42 Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    hello! I am 39. Feel free to add me. I am trying to loose 30 lbs and have lost 5 so far!

Oh, let me mention what I am doing.
    I have an account with bodybuilding.com. I just started the Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer.
    I have a gym set up at home, with treadmill and weight bench. Going to the gym is hard for me because I am a single mom. So I work out every morning before work, for one hour. Usually 30 minutes of weightlifting and 30 minutes of fairly high intensity cardio. I don't run well, so I prefer to walk on an incline with a backpack loaded with 20lbs of books. On my "rest" days I will either jog or incline walk 45 minutes (no weightlifting on these days).
    Diet is low carb, 1200 cal/day. I eliminated wheat and dairy entirely. Typical breakfast for me is 4 eggs, with 1/2 c berries, lunch maybe a turkey burger with a kale salad (go light on the dressing). I aim for about 120g protein per day. I measure my ketones with ketone urine strips and it is nearly always "moderate".
    And, I take one day off a week, Sundays. These are my "reset days". I eat all that I want, concentrating on carbs. I purposely try to knock my body out of ketosis for that one day only. I think this helps keep me from going into starvation mode. (I do eat wheat and dairy on Sundays).

That's pretty much it. This plan works well for me so far.
  • griglenb52
    griglenb52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Who would like to join me on a 10 day shred? I plan on starts NY the year right! Who wants to join in?
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people! I keep forgetting to check back here so will have to make a note to post every now and then as I see some people are. Feel free to add me.

Well, I think I let myself go at Christmas! I keep telling myself it's fine and I'm back on it. but there's still all that food staring at me! Back to logging as of tomorrow. I so admire all you people that logged the bad days! Even more admiration for those people on my friends list who managed to lose weight over the Christmas period... Yes, DomCraigKing I'm looking at you!
  • CrepedCrusader
    CrepedCrusader Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    37, welcoming new friends
  • Bellipong
    Bellipong Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm in! A 56 year old vegetarian.