Dogs and Running

Options
13»

Replies

• dublinseacow
    dublinseacow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI! I run with all three of my German shepherds, not all at one time. When I injured my hand a few years ago, I came across a hands free running technique called canicross. I purchased some pulling gear from a local mushing store and a book about skijoring (skills transfer to running) and went to work on my dogs. I have one GSD, Thunder, that lives for running. He focuses in on the act and will ignore all distractions. He's a blast to run with as he helps me go faster, and I slow him down. I purchased some towlines and now I can run two dogs at a time. My other two dogs enjoy running, and will run together. They are much slower than Thunder. I would reccomend canicross to anyone. Also I have the bike tow leash as well and love it!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @dublinseacow did the book teach you how to give commands of some sort to direct a dog in front?
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @shagerty777 is a there a reason you drop (your GORGEOUS) pup off and finish alone?
  • dublinseacow
    dublinseacow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo: yes, it does. The book is "Ski Spot Run" by Matt Haakenstad and John Thompson. I highly recommend it. Thunder gets too focused and just wants a straight line run. Teaching him turns was difficult, but he has finally learned to turn right. Left is still hard for him. Start first on your walks to teach the commands. Reward as they pick up on the commands. When there is mastery, add speed/running to the mix. The dogs learn quickly. I added a command "trot," to my dogs' repertoire as I needed to teach a command that meant "keep running, but at a slower pace." I taught whoa to mean slow down to a walk, stop as stop all movement. This one is good for emergencies and stoplight. I started with hike to get my dogs to pull, but it just got them sprinting and me struggling to keep my feet. I use "go," and start running myself so I am prepared for their speed. Canicross is a dog pulling sport. I want them to pull me. If I want them to run by my side, I would have to train them to do so.being pulled though is a fun experience.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @dublinseacow did the book teach you how to give commands of some sort to direct a dog in front?

There are some really good intros to canicross on youtube. I got a lot of tips from the Canicross Scotland one. The only thing I taught my dog before we started running was 'stop'- this one is pretty essential! I also have a quick release catch on my belt just in case but she loves running so much that it's pretty easy to stop her chasing deer and squirrels.

The other commands we just kind of tried as we went along. You can teach them in the same way you teach any command- first get the action, then pair the action with a command, then lots of positive reinforcement. Some people use mushing terms but I just say 'stop', 'go left', 'go right, 'easy' (pacing is not our forte at the moment!), 'keep on' (for if they get distracted and start sniffing stuff), and when I need an extra burst of speed I do my very best Murray Walker 'GO GO GO!'

edit- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6PWX9oRuQY&index=1&list=PLzYY0GZkrQ0YGDoaFuwPZgEb7O38AeHCD
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo I do that because by then my arm is about to be yanked out of it's socket and I don't want to wear her out too badly at her age. This has been a great thread and without it I wouldn't know about canicross gear. I'll be in the market for some after the New Year!
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My running buddy! It was a hot day in MI lol

eyypx5e8m138.jpg

• Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My Curly Coated Retriever runs with me, we are working on the couch to 5k with plans to run a half with her in the fall. She is a bonkers working dog and a 5 or 6km run is just a warm up for her. She literally runs circles around me and my other dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback, not especially fond of exercise haha). If the weather is horrible and I don't feel like running I just touch my running tights or shoes and then she's super amped and I have to go lol. 346sinl0gr8f.jpg
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My lab/pointer mix will only run until she smells something that she wants to hunt. Then it's over. She will chase whatever, but she will not continue to run. So, we walk. In the woods, if possible.
    When I run, I have to leave her home.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @Play_outside she is so cute! I have never seen a dog that looked like that :) Artoo is like that too about my running clothes, I will leaves them in the middle of the floor to avoid teasing him instead of putting them away if I accidentally led them out because it breaks my heart to see him jump up
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @Play_outside What a cute dog! I think I've only ever met one curly before.

My lab and I went for a run this morning and got a new 5k PB- 26:50! I am pretty pleased with that. If I can figure out a way to get her to go for a poop before we run then we will be much faster. But like a lot of other dogs, once she knows we're going running she wants to go NOW. I use Runkeeper to track my pace etc and have it on loud so I can hear the updates. When my dog hears "activity started" she sticks her head down and sprints hahahaha.

kiqcubqpd0rf.jpg
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! She is very cute and wacky, so fun! They sure make the best running buds! I use RunKeeper as well. @EauRouge1 that is an amazing time way to go!!!