Does a more positive outlook/self-love help?

Options
I exercise way more than I should (about 5-6 times a week), I've lost fat, inches, and gained muscle. However, I still look very bloated and it seems I don't look almost any different from when I started.

I do have extremely low self esteem, and I don't feel good about myself. I have heard that changing the way you look at yourself does help you lose weight, so I was wondering if it does?

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start? You have to allow your body to adjust to new changes... you have to be patient, and loving the journey, weight loss is not a punishment, health is not a punishment take it easy on yourself
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It can make it easier. I believe that anything we love, we tend to take care of, including ourselves.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    +1 to the post Orphia quoted. I think coming from a positive place makes an enormous difference.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I can be extremely self-critical, but am a supportive mom/friend/wife. Someone once recommended that speak to myself the way I would my own children and that helps me with everything. So instead of telling myself i'm gross or whatever if I gain weight, I give myself a pep talk and remind myself how strong/smart etc. I am. It really helps.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Here's a great DVD that can help with negative self talk: You Can Heal Your Life, the movie, expanded version. It was available in my library system so maybe yours as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It can help some people. I lost my weight with low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, and plenty of self-loathing.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    ^^^
    Yeah you can also lose weight from being very scared. It seems like everyone who just comes off a surgery does very well, at least for a while.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I wish there were as many posts about ways of thinking your way to a healthy weight, as there are about ways of eating yourself to a healthy weight.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it can.

I have made more progress in the last year than I did in the 2 before it. I used to tell myself I was lazy and stupid to let myself get fat, and so I was lazy and stupid about getting healthy.

For me, my change was weightlifting. Not even heavy at first- but I started seeing concrete progress, and fairly quickly. Then my progress pictures started showing differences, then workouts I couldn't finish I could crush.

Then I started being impressed and proud of what I accomplished. And realizing that kindness and gratitude toward my body got me a lot further than hating and resenting it.

It's a delicate balance for me still. A bad crappy run or a hard day with the weights and I'm back to feeling defeated about the whole process. I'm able to talk myself down now. I made an accomplishment board with my bibs, race pics, progress pics, best splits and goals so that I have a concrete thing to look at and see what I've done.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    If you approach eating as a way to love and care for yourself instead of treating food as an enemy, then you can use that self love to eat responsibly to fuel your wondrous self.
    <3
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I exercise way more than I should (about 5-6 times a week), I've lost fat, inches, and gained muscle. However, I still look very bloated and it seems I don't look almost any different from when I started.

I do have extremely low self esteem, and I don't feel good about myself. I have heard that changing the way you look at yourself does help you lose weight, so I was wondering if it does?

I can honestly say that, for myself, I could not stick to a weight loss plan until I took the time to love myself and my body the way it was, first. That won't be universal. Different people are motivated by different things. But for me, as someone who suffers from depression, anxiety, self-esteem issues, etc. yes it helped me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    If you approach eating as a way to love and care for yourself instead of treating food as an enemy, then you can use that self love to eat responsibly to fuel your wondrous self.
    <3

Bolded is how I got fat.
  • BlackRose278
    BlackRose278 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start? You have to allow your body to adjust to new changes... you have to be patient, and loving the journey, weight loss is not a punishment, health is not a punishment take it easy on yourself

I've been on a different lifestyle and have been exercising a lot for over a year.