Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I used to think America and Canada were the same country (Canada was in the US), Blasphemous I know :open_mouth:
    It's the same as people assuming New Zealand is part of Australia :anguished:
    Or Tasmania not being a part of Australia :lol:

Yes ...

And I also have people assuming I live on the continent of Africa.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I used to think America and Canada were the same country (Canada was in the US), Blasphemous I know :open_mouth:

Yes ...

And I also have people assuming I live on the continent of Africa.

:laugh: This thread just keeps on giving

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Oh one more thing I'm curious about.. Most of us call Americans "yanks", is that offensive to you guys?
    British people are Poms.

And while I'm here lol it's pronounced oZZy, not Orrrssie/Arssie :smiley:

I've heard both "Yanks" and "Seppos" (from the rhyming slang). Neither is offensive to me. I find "Yanks" kind of endearing and "Seppos" pretty funny.

[ETA:] Australia is right near the top of my bucket list for "places to visit". That plane ride though, ugh.

It's not that bad! I think we are more willing to travel as we are so far from just about everything else..... But it's really not that bad! Just make sure you have a few weeks when you get here and make it worth your while.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    What do you all call the thing you wear to swim in?

In aus, we have a few names
    -bathers
    -cozzie (for costume)
    -swimmers
    -togs
    -boardies (boardshorts)
    -budgie smugglers (mens brief-style)

(that I know of.... There might be more in different places!)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

-bathers
    -cozzie (for costume)
    -swimmers
    -togs
    -boardies (boardshorts)

Probably another regional thing even within the U.S. - but for guys the names I hear most often are "swim trunks" or "board shorts"....or maybe just the generic term "bathing suit". The brief-style ones are called "Speedos" (which is the most common/popular brand of those style suits) or more informally, a "banana hammock". :)
  • livingleanlivingclean

-bathers
    -cozzie (for costume)
    -swimmers
    -togs
    -boardies (boardshorts)

Probably another regional thing even within the U.S. - but for guys the names I hear most often are "swim trunks" or "board shorts"....or maybe just the generic term "bathing suit". The brief-style ones are called "Speedos" (which is the most common/popular brand of those style suits) or more informally, a "banana hammock". :)

Banana hammock = budgie smugglers :D
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member

You wouldn't think so half the time, the ole map of Tassie gets left off a number of Australian maps :)

Even between Australian states there is difference in words peanut butter = peanut paste, middy = pot = schooner (beer serving size, all different sizes but interchangeable between states), potato cake = potato scallop, ice lolly = ice block.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

-bathers
    -cozzie (for costume)
    -swimmers
    -togs
    -boardies (boardshorts)

I would think of bathing suit as the female swimming costume.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

-bathers
    -cozzie (for costume)
    -swimmers
    -togs
    -boardies (boardshorts)

I would think of bathing suit as the female swimming costume.

Or swim suit.

Bikini is something specific.
  • livingleanlivingclean

You wouldn't think so half the time, the ole map of Tassie gets left off a number of Australian maps :)

Even between Australian states there is difference in words peanut butter = peanut paste, middy = pot = schooner (beer serving size, all different sizes but interchangeable between states), potato cake = potato scallop, ice lolly = ice block.

Ice lolly sounds very English to me...and an ice block is frozen water. We call them icy poles!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member

Ice lolly sounds very English to me...and an ice block is frozen water. We call them icy poles!

I think in the US we call them Popsicles. If not, I have no idea what you are talking about. Lol
  • Christine_72
    We had a cute surprise in our front yard yesterday evening... I could hear our cat making these strange chirping sounds, so we went outside and there she was sitting next to a young koala. It looked like they were already friends lol The koala was just wandering around with coco our cat in hot pursuit. I have video of them touching noses right before the koala whacked her hehe Talk about cuteness overload!
    My husband tried picking him up so we could pop in in our gum tree out the back, but he scratched the crap out of his hands :worried:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    It's a bit blurry, but here is me and our lil friend :heart:

That's so fun! Except for hubby's scratched hands.
  • Christine_72
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

That's so fun! Except for hubby's scratched hands.

He was so cute, and walked right past us not scared at all. I hope he's ok, we'll go looking for him this morning. There's 4 huge gum trees in our street, so hopefully he'll be up one of those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Wow, how cool.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Wow, how cool.

That is so awesome. All we have around here are possums and skunks.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Wow, how cool.

Yeah, possums are regular visitors. They like the cat's food.
  • Christine_72
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Wow, how cool.

Haha not quite as cute and cuddly :laugh: I would love to see a squirrel/chipmunk in real life, we don't have those here.

Or my ultimate dream animal

b0q65etfbkta.jpg
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    A buddy was in Australia working. He was helping a young lady configure our software. Part of the system we called "The Router" he kept telling her to stop and start the router, only he pronounced like the UK folks did "the rooter". Lady would blush and giggle whenever he'd say that.

Eventually someone came by and explained what rooting meant in Aus!