Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I used to think America and Canada were the same country (Canada was in the US), Blasphemous I know :open_mouth:
    It's the same as people assuming New Zealand is part of Australia :anguished:
    Or Tasmania not being a part of Australia :lol:

You wouldn't think so half the time, the ole map of Tassie gets left off a number of Australian maps :)

Even between Australian states there is difference in words peanut butter = peanut paste, middy = pot = schooner (beer serving size, all different sizes but interchangeable between states), potato cake = potato scallop, ice lolly = ice block.

Ice lolly sounds very English to me...and an ice block is frozen water. We call them icy poles!

I think in the US we call them Popsicles. If not, I have no idea what you are talking about. Lol

Yup, same thing :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    A buddy was in Australia working. He was helping a young lady configure our software. Part of the system we called "The Router" he kept telling her to stop and start the router, only he pronounced like the UK folks did "the rooter". Lady would blush and giggle whenever he'd say that.

Eventually someone came by and explained what rooting meant in Aus!

Thats weird....

In aus, we pronounce route as "root"...." Take the quickest root to the shops"
    But router is pronounced "row-ter" (row rhymes with brow)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I cant use the word route in a sentence without my juvenile husband turning it into something sexual :huh:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    oh yes i hear you Christine.

We like gardening and Ive lost count of times Ive said some innocuous sentence with the word 'root' (as in part of plant) and he gets silly.

and I take it the term 'rooting around' in UK means to search through things, turn things over to find something - every now and then we read a gardening article that says something like "rooting around under the trees" - which, needless to say, he sees other meaning.

Same with the word 'screw' (does that have same double meaning in other parts of world? - has same slang meaning here) doing some DIY job in the house and say something innocuous like We need another screw here. :s
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    I cant use the word route in a sentence without my juvenile husband turning it into something sexual :huh:

Hehe I get corrected by my friend for pronouncing it the English way (he's American). I asked him what where does he get his kicks and he said "Route 66"...and pronounced it the English way :-D
  • CurlyCockney
    BTW @Christine_72 and any other Australians - Happy New Year (you're past midnight, aren't you?)

We've got 40 minutes (and 2 bottles of champers) to go!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    BTW @Christine_72 and any other Australians - Happy New Year (you're past midnight, aren't you?)

I'm in WA (Western Australia).... It's 7:20 am! Later in other states. Enjoy the last minutes of 2016!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It's only 5:30 pm on Dec 31 here.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's only 5:30 pm on Dec 31 here.

7:30 pm here in the Atlantic time zone
  • CurlyCockney

I'm in WA (Western Australia).... It's 7:20 am! Later in other states. Enjoy the last minutes of 2016!

Cheers! And happy new year!

I've got party music on, and I've been playing with my new light bulbs so they're all flashing different colours (I know, I need a life!)

• Christine_72
    edited December 2016

Thankyou :smiley: And Happy New year to you too xx
    New years eve has been and gone. It's 10am 1st of January in my part of the world.

Happy new year to all of my mfp friends :drinker: :drinker: You make me laugh, cry and learn everyday Cheers

• paperpudding

way past midnight here in South Australia - 10:00 am New Years Day already.

New Years Eve is sooo last year - hahaha.

• paperpudding

Hehe I get corrected by my friend for pronouncing it the English way (he's American). I asked him what where does he get his kicks and he said "Route 66"...and pronounced it the English way :-D

oh dear, I can just imagine my silly husband if we ever went somewhere on Route 69 :o

• CurlyCockney

oh dear, I can just imagine my silly husband if we ever went somewhere on Route 69 :o

Well he'll get his kicks!

It's going to take me 5 mins to get to the River Thames to watch the fireworks, so I'm off until next year!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Not even 5pm here. So for those of you who have reached it, how is 2017? Have you been overtaken by the robots, yet? Has Skynet risen?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Not even 5pm here. So for those of you who have reached it, how is 2017? Have you been overtaken by the robots, yet? Has Skynet risen?

Nope, but my cat is officially traumatized.
  • Christine_72

Hmmmm If i tell you it'll spoil the surprise.. You'll just have to wait and see, be afraid, be very afraid :open_mouth:
  • Christine_72

Well he'll get his kicks!

It's going to take me 5 mins to get to the River Thames to watch the fireworks, so I'm off until next year!

I'm such a party animal. I fell asleep on the couch at 8:30, bloody hopeless, i is :( Have fun, I'm sure the firworks will be spectacular. They'll show all the major cities fireworks on the news here tonight, I'll look for you in the crowd :tongue:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

My dogs are a shaking mess during the fireworks. I will be buried under the two of them later.

Hmmmm If i tell you it'll spoil the surprise.. You'll just have to wait and see, be afraid, be very afraid :open_mouth:

Damn, I knew I should have started C25K earlier! Or maybe the zombie run!
  • Christine_72
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Yep, our snoring hound slept with us last night. Her snorting and grunting is louder and more annoying than the fireworks!