Plant-Based Eating for 21 Days- New To This- Anyone Else

Options
I want to try plant-based eating so I am beginning a 21 Day Program on my own. Grocery shopping was exhausting yet eye-opening. Any advice from vegans on their beginnings?

Replies

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get your protein
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight and feel better, it's a good idea to focus on what you need to achieve that, because even though it's simple, it's not necessarily easy.

If you are following a program, the instructions and explanations should come from those who made the program.
  • LisaJV
    LisaJV Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, try this link - https://veganuary.com
    I'm not a vegan, but cutting down on meat and dairy. There are tips on there and menu plans, recipes, to help transition to a plant based diet.
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Get to know the vendors at your local farmers market. We sell, and we love it when customers find they need something midwinter and call.

Go easy on nuts. I was warned and ate too many anyway. Too many at the very beginning will lead to gastric discomfort. I wasn't the first to learn this the hard way.

Buy foods that contain only one ingredient. You will end up with a great concept of what foods *really* taste like. Then, start mixing ingredients.

I didn't become vegan permanently.

You'll learn a lot about food and nutrients with what you are doing.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I eat a lot of things that are. Here's some things that I've learned--

Be sure to get protein! A lot of times if I'm eating a veggie diet for the day, I see that I'm low on protein by the end of it. Greek yogurt, beans, and sweet potatoes are usually my go-to's when this happens. Google 'list of vegetarian protein sources' and you should have a good idea of what foods you need to add to keep your protein on point. Pre-logging is also recommended, so you can see how your food choices add up.

Meal prepping is a must for me if I'm eating veggies. Even though it seems as though it would be easier to fix, a lot of vegetarian and vegan recipes call for additional prep work. Spinach casserole, vegetable chili, sweet potato quesadillas, and spiced lentil calzones are staples in my house but take some planning and forethought. If you need any recipes, feel free to ask! I love sharing them.

It's okay to start small. A few years ago, my mom was a vegetarian. Switching from a meat-based diet to a veggie one for the week I was staying with her really tore up my stomach and made me feel ill. If you want to transition to eating more vegetarian/vegan based meals, I'd highly recommend starting with a single meal a few times a week. This helps ease you into a more diverse diet (which makes shopping easier) and lets you eat things that you already know you enjoy when you switch over 'full-time'.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ambridget2 wrote: »
    I want to try plant-based eating so I am beginning a 21 Day Program on my own. Grocery shopping was exhausting yet eye-opening. Any advice from vegans on their beginnings?

Disclaimer, I'm not vegan, I'm more lacto-ovo much of the time.

What I'd suggest is first, being clear on why you're wanting to go plant based. It can be challenging at times and you need to understand that touchstone so that you can reflect on it. The challenges start with people crayoning on the discussion, as above, through to somewhat more involved meal planning, and indeed much more volume of food at times.

Your biggest challenge is always going to be protein, so build your thinking around that. It won't take long until your palate clears, as just above, and you'll have a better grasp of how food balance tastes.

I find little and often does help, and smoothies are quite a good way to help address the volume, although I use plain yoghurt in them which you won't be able to.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but have a good friend who recently transitioned from vegetarian to vegan and I have done a 100% plant-based diet for periods of time (like Lent), as well as a vegetarian diet for longer periods. What I did to avoid the harder parts.

(1) Figure out what your breakfast (with enough protein will be) and get it down. Having one meal you don't have to think about makes it easier. I did a smoothie (because I like them) with lots of vegetables, some berries or some other fruit, some homemade nut milk (has more fat than the storebought stuff and I think it tastes best), and plant-based protein powder. I also like a tofu scramble. Related to this, I decided that I had no issues with using tofu, tempeh (soybean-based foods) regularly, and that I had no issue using some plant-based protein powder (although I went for diversity by avoiding soy ones).

(2) Have some regular and easy dishes in mind with enough protein that you can make quickly.

(3) Know what your protein sources are (beans/lentils is a major one, seitan, tofu, and tempeh also). Use different beans, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, etc. for diversity. Remember adding grains and nuts adds some additional protein and that most vegetables also will add some (fruit really isn't helpful here).

(4) Meals can be planned by thinking of a source of protein, a source of calories (could be the same), some fat (olive oil or use olives, avocados, nuts), and then fill out the plate with vegetables.

(5) If you think you are low on calories, go tos should be starches (beans, grains, and tubers), nuts and seeds, and fruit.

(6) Use plenty of herbs and spices and look to ethnic cuisines with lots of plant-based dishes for inspiration.

Hope that helps.

I also agree with knowing why you want to do it -- if you have a strong motivation, like ethical reasons, I think it is a lot easier. I find it interesting and like to experiment with cooking, so that made it easy for me for a period of time (and Lent also provides a religious motivation for me), but I think I personally would have a hard time doing it long-term as I don't have that ethical commitment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Plant based isn't necessarily the same thing as vegan. Plant based just means that a substantial part of the diet is, well, plant based.

I'm not vegan, but I eat a substantively plant based diet and eat vegetarian at least three days per week...I eat meat at least once per day three or four days per week...usually fish or chicken...I also eat eggs and dairy...but a substantial part of my diet consists of things like beans, lentils, potatoes, oats, etc...I get around 4-6 servings of veggies daily and a couple servings of fruit. I get most of my recipes from Pinterest.

Vegan is going to take quite a bit more planning as well as nutritional knowledge to ensure you're getting everything your body needs. If you do go vegan, make sure you're supplementing B-12 as you will not be getting any through your food.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Protein isn't going to be a challenge. You don't need a lot. Just eat a variety of vegan proteins during the day no problem. No one ever died from a protein deficiency. Lots of people are vegan and vegetarian and have been for many years with no issue, like any diet, just eat a variety of foods. Personally veggie chili is one of my favorite meals high in lots of nutrients including fiber, protein, iron and other vitamins and it's very versatile.

You are absolutely wrong about protein. I have seen serious complications caused by lack of protein. While it may not have been a direct cause of death, it certainly contributes.

Probably people that had complications weren't eating enough calories or a varied diet, generally though it's not an issue.
    Calm down.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Great link and interesting info..thanks for sharing!
    LisaJV wrote: »
    Hi, try this link - https://veganuary.com
    I'm not a vegan, but cutting down on meat and dairy. There are tips on there and menu plans, recipes, to help transition to a plant based diet.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Plant based isn't necessarily the same thing as vegan. Plant based just means that a substantial part of the diet is, well, plant based.

I'm not vegan, but I eat a substantively plant based diet and eat vegetarian at least three days per week...I eat meat at least once per day three or four days per week...usually fish or chicken...I also eat eggs and dairy...but a substantial part of my diet consists of things like beans, lentils, potatoes, oats, etc...I get around 4-6 servings of veggies daily and a couple servings of fruit. I get most of my recipes from Pinterest.

Vegan is going to take quite a bit more planning as well as nutritional knowledge to ensure you're getting everything your body needs. If you do go vegan, make sure you're supplementing B-12 as you will not be getting any through your food.
    Is this another case of words meaning anything/nothing? I used to think "plant based" meant "mostly plants", and then it was "vegan, but just the food part", and now I'm confused.
    If it's just basing your meals on plants, well, in that case I'm eating plant based, and most people are.
    I like the quote above: "I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I eat a lot of things that are", which sums it up nicely.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

In much current usage and (I expect) with the resolutioners, plant-based is usually short hand for 100% plant based --basically no animal products without the vegan ethical commitment and effect on the rest of the life (no leather, wool, etc.).

I happen to believe that having a largely plant-based diet is important for most (barring specific health issues) and much more significant than going 100% or not, and that going 100% is easier if one already has a largely plant-based diet and doesn't represent a radical change.

Agreed and good point about the B-12.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't going to be a challenge. You don't need a lot. Just eat a variety of vegan proteins during the day no problem. No one ever died from a protein deficiency. Lots of people are vegan and vegetarian and have been for many years with no issue, like any diet, just eat a variety of foods. Personally veggie chili is one of my favorite meals high in lots of nutrients including fiber, protein, iron and other vitamins and it's very versatile.

You are absolutely wrong about protein. I have seen serious complications caused by lack of protein. While it may not have been a direct cause of death, it certainly contributes.

Probably people that had complications weren't eating enough calories or a varied diet, generally though it's not an issue.
    Calm down.

Actually blood work results specifically indicated low protein. Which is needed for healing. No need to tell me to calm down. You are wrong. That doesn't bother me.

Your blood work or what? Like who are you talking about having low protein in their blood work?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Is this another case of words meaning anything/nothing? I used to think "plant based" meant "mostly plants", and then it was "vegan, but just the food part", and now I'm confused.
    If it's just basing your meals on plants, well, in that case I'm eating plant based, and most people are.
    I like the quote above: "I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I eat a lot of things that are", which sums it up nicely.

The Mediterranean Diet, for example, is considered to be plant-based since the bulk of it is plant foods, but there are meats (think fish) included. I think the phrase "plant-based" has a broader meaning than one would assume from a strict interpretation of it at first glance.

I don't really think it's stretching things to read things this way, I just think it's a way of describing a way of eating where meat isn't the mainstay of the diet and is used more as a condiment. There are lots of cultures that eat this way. I can't really say there's a better way to describe their diets if the bulk of their foods are, in fact, plant-based.