Starting Keto today

Options
Are there any Keto followers out there? I'm just adding my Macros to the App now and looking forward to the change.
I've been using a calorie controlled diet for 5 months and lost 2st... I want to change my lifestyle now and see the benefits.

Replies

• hazegaming28
    hazegaming28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started a keto diet few days ago, although I must admit it's kinda hard trying to limit your Carb intake as most of the foods we're used to are Carby. So in the beginning you might need to do a little reasearch on low carb and high fat recipes. But once you've got everything down you will enjoy it.
  • jayneylil
    jayneylil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm going back on keto after having my baby. Managed to loose 40lbs last time but ive put it all back on! I was looking for a keto challenge group for Jan, anyone seen one?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    There's a LCHF/Keto group here at MFP that you might want to join:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Just started! Good luck. Feel free to add me, All.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Make sure you increase sodium. Electrolytes often egt low with the water loss caused by low carb and low insulin levels. Keto'ers will usually need at LEAST 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's a over 2 tsp of salt.

If you let electrolytes go low you may experience a headache, fatigue, crankiness, brain fog, nausea, muscle aches and eventually cramps. People call it keto flu but it is actually low electrolytes... or badly planned ketosis. ;) Sodium from a couple cups of broth, salt tablets or even salted water (I add a tsp of salt to water every morning).

If you get to the point of muscle cramps it means your magnesium and potassium are getting low - K and Mg were being leached out and used as electrolytes. You may need to supplement with those as well.

And ditto the group mentioned. They are a GREAT bunch.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    a lot of great recipes all over the internet on low carb high fat...check out fat bombs!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo whoa! Thanks for mentioning this! I just started about three days ago and last night in my sleep my calf cramped up to the point I was almost in tears and couldn't catch my breath! Would the lower mag and pot occur just after three days?!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @nvmomketo whoa! Thanks for mentioning this! I just started about three days ago and last night in my sleep my calf cramped up to the point I was almost in tears and couldn't catch my breath! Would the lower mag and pot occur just after three days?!

@CeeBeeSlim It could. It took mine a little over a week to hit. :D I came from the old school thinking of low salt = good. I could not believe that I needed that much salt a day so I fought it... and suffered needlessly. LOL ;)

Drinking salty broth, and take potassium and magnesium (citrate - not oxide) if you have it. Sodium will help the most though. Probably.
  • mandaRN78
    mandaRN78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been trying off and on for a few weeks...but holidays and blah blah blah. I'm also back and forth on it. I am re starting with no excuses today. Making my plan and list now. Super excited. Found some really great info on Keto gains. Good luck to you!!
  • heartrocklover
    heartrocklover Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP today. With my intentions of starting low carb /keto tommorrow. Have had luck with it in the past. I have been checking out alot of utube channels for ideas and recipes. One channel Keto connection is a great couple, they have a 20 day Challenge starting tomorrow to keep your carbs under twenty and a new fb page. I need to clear out my fridge today of all my carbs. :smiley:
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started today. Was hoping to figure out how to do it without eating so much animal protein but in running numbers, my carbs were too high with nuts and seeds. It's going to be quite an adjustment for me. I'm used to eating a lot of veggies to stay full.
  • Geishakim
    Geishakim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please add me, been low carb since September 2016.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Make sure you increase sodium. Electrolytes often egt low with the water loss caused by low carb and low insulin levels. Keto'ers will usually need at LEAST 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's a over 2 tsp of salt.

If you let electrolytes go low you may experience a headache, fatigue, crankiness, brain fog, nausea, muscle aches and eventually cramps. People call it keto flu but it is actually low electrolytes... or badly planned ketosis. ;) Sodium from a couple cups of broth, salt tablets or even salted water (I add a tsp of salt to water every morning).

If you get to the point of muscle cramps it means your magnesium and potassium are getting low - K and Mg were being leached out and used as electrolytes. You may need to supplement with those as well.

And ditto the group mentioned. They are a GREAT bunch.

I have to second everything said here. I did all my research AFTER I thought I was dying
  • chrisblower370
    chrisblower370 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Loving the Bulletproof Coffee to start my day, coupled with the occasional TABATA on the rowing machine, my energy level has shot up. Had a delicate digestive system for the first couple of days, but that's to be expected from going from a 75% carb diet to a 5% carb diet. I'm going to use the drinking of broth idea to keep my salt levels up as well.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Facebook group
    LCHF- low carb high fat. I have been so much more successful since following the advice given there.
  • Sauce301
    Sauce301 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jayneylil wrote: »
    I'm going back on keto after having my baby. Managed to loose 40lbs last time but ive put it all back on! I was looking for a keto challenge group for Jan, anyone seen one?

I haven't seen any but I want to start also, I've see ppl indicating that they are starting I need support. We can start something
  • heartrocklover
    heartrocklover Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started today. Was hoping to figure out how to do it without eating so much animal protein but in running numbers, my carbs were too high with nuts and seeds. It's going to be quite an adjustment for me. I'm used to eating a lot of veggies to stay full.

CARA, Check out the utube channel VeggieKate, she has keto recipes geared to a vegetarian. Do you eat eggs. I on my last go with low carb way of eating starting I ate a lot of salads and I would put a hard boiled egg on it for protein and sometimes tuna. They now have flavored tuna in foiled packets. I tried the lemon. It was pretty good. Now I'm back at it with a keto mind set so will be using my fats with avocados, some nuts, bacon. I'm excited to make a cobb salad tonight and I'm sipping on chicken broth for my sodium.
  • rustytentpeg
    rustytentpeg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, had my first 'bulletproof coffee' this morning and actually thought it was lovely.. I wasn't sure about the butter and coconut oil mix but it definitely works... that will be my early morning breakfast snack before I start work.
    Back on the bike tomorrow after my Xmas break so should start to see some weight loss again... Xmas takes its toll haha.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    These are all great websites and have some pretty good recipes --- to me the pizza crusts are awful, but everyone has their own taste buds

Dietdoctor.com

iliveibreatheimhungry.com

irule.com
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, had my first 'bulletproof coffee' this morning and actually thought it was lovely.. I wasn't sure about the butter and coconut oil mix but it definitely works... that will be my early morning breakfast snack before I start work.
    Back on the bike tomorrow after my Xmas break so should start to see some weight loss again... Xmas takes its toll haha.

Try some cinnamon in there too, it's yummy