How to cut sugar?

Options
Good Morning & Happy New Year!

I am new here and haven't tracked calories for a long long time. I am here because I want to cut my sugar intake significantly. I plan to do this by avoiding processed/packaged foods and eating more fruits and veggies (and more juicing!). The ADA guideline (for women) is 100 cals (25 grams or 6 teaspoons) of ADDED sugar. I just had 16 oz of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice at 44 grams of sugar. This is not added but the MFP diary says I've already maxed out my sugar target for the day.

Questions: 1) what should the total sugar consumption be for a day (for a woman); and 2) should I only be concerned with added sugars or all sugars - if I want to be healthier?

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks so much!
PS: If there is already a thread for this please send me the link. I searched but could not find it.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake? If not, I wouldn't worry about it so much. There is no way to differentiate between natural and added sugars, so just do what feels best for you.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I was going to weigh in, but @cwolfman13 nailed it...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    miacat2 wrote: »

I am new here and haven't tracked calories for a long long time. I am here because I want to cut my sugar intake significantly. I plan to do this by avoiding processed/packaged foods and eating more fruits and veggies (and more juicing!). The ADA guideline (for women) is 100 cals (25 grams or 6 teaspoons) of ADDED sugar. I just had 16 oz of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice at 44 grams of sugar. This is not added but the MFP diary says I've already maxed out my sugar target for the day.

Questions: 1) what should the total sugar consumption be for a day (for a woman); and 2) should I only be concerned with added sugars or all sugars - if I want to be healthier?

PS: If there is already a thread for this please send me the link. I searched but could not find it.

More juicing, especially if it includes fruits, is going to be counter-productive to your goal of of reducing sugar.

If you want to be healthier, you would be better off setting goals for things you should be eating (adequate protein and fat, especially omega-3s if you follow the typical Western diet; adequate fiber; veggies, fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts & seeds) because there is substantial research showing health benefits from including them in your diet, rather than worrying about (1) inventing a ceiling for total sugar when (2) you need to ask total strangers on the Internet about whether total sugar even matters, because there are no dietary guidelines for total sugars from respected sources based on scientific evidence.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cut all sugar
    Go through your kichen and when you find something with sugar in it...throw it away.
    Start with the real bad stuff.....sweet drinks (coke & stuff like that) cookies Cakes Sweets and co.
    Once you have gotten rid of all of them. go through all your processed stuff...it has got sugar in it ...throw it away.

you will now probalbly have only a few things left...fresh Fruit, Vegies, Fish & Poultry.

There is absolouteley no reason to consume refined sugar (added sugar) .....natrual sugar is ok......or have you seen somoene get fat by eating apples & drinking fresh pressed orange juice.

• onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have your answers....Stead clear of that processed stuff....I agree with the guy above...Body don't know if it's real sugar or not...I have to watch mine or I get real Shakey....I eat my fruits early in the day..And most juice you buy packaged has a lot more added sugar stuff than a glass of fresh squeezed...Still sugar...but less....I hope the best for you!!!!!! Happy new year!!!!! Oh maybe check on MVP first....Then decide if you wanna have that...I do it all the time...Example hubby wanted taco Bell while out yesterday...Said one burrito should be OK....So I looked on MVP for nutrition.....1200 mg of sodium????? Ughhhhh no way...So I got a chicken chopped salad from the subway no cheese no dressing....I'm good!!!! Made a choice that is best for my bodies needs....You will too....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what cwolfman said.
    I am new here and haven't tracked calories for a long long time. I am here because I want to cut my sugar intake significantly. I plan to do this by avoiding processed/packaged foods and eating more fruits and veggies (and more juicing!).

Lots of sugar in fruit (although I personally don't watch intrinsic sugar or see any good reason to -- the thing about sugar is more about avoiding excessive amounts of high cal/low nutrient foods and so I just do that directly). Beyond that, I never ate much in the way of packaged foods, but if the issue is sweets homemade sweets have just as many calories/and just as much sugar.

Does it make sense to cut down on low nutrient/high cal foods with lots of sugar? Sure. And while it's not necessary I personally find it pleasant and satisfying to mostly focus on whole foods prepared by me.
    The ADA guideline (for women) is 100 cals (25 grams or 6 teaspoons) of ADDED sugar. I just had 16 oz of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice at 44 grams of sugar. This is not added but the MFP diary says I've already maxed out my sugar target for the day.

There is no max limit that has much backing and the US/WHO doesn't have one at all. The ones that exist are based on guesses about how much fruit and veg you will be consuming and don't really have any basis to say a particular amount of sugar is bad (the added sugar is about calories and balance in the diet and I think it's sensible enough -- 5% or 10% of calories).

What I would recommend as an approach is to focus on calories PLUS what you are eating: get adequate protein, fiber, healthy fats, vegetables. If you do that and meet a sensible calorie limit you don't have to worry about excessive sugar or overeating fruit or any such thing.

There are lots of threads on this topic, but don't worry about it, it's a new year and all that! Good luck.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dfc4 wrote: »
    Cut all sugar
    Go through your kichen and when you find something with sugar in it...throw it away.
    Start with the real bad stuff.....sweet drinks (coke & stuff like that) cookies Cakes Sweets and co.
    Once you have gotten rid of all of them. go through all your processed stuff...it has got sugar in it ...throw it away.

you will now probalbly have only a few things left...fresh Fruit, Vegies, Fish & Poultry.

There is absolouteley no reason to consume refined sugar (added sugar) .....natrual sugar is ok......or have you seen somoene get fat by eating apples & drinking fresh pressed orange juice.

She's asking about total sugar. Fruit and vegetables have sugar in them, so your comment makes no sense in light of the question.

And while I don't limit fruit I sure could go way over my calories regularly with unlimited fruit juice, including fresh squeezed orange juice (which is delicious, but for me saved for special occasions like Christmas morning).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Cut all sugar

yes,people can get fat by eating apples and drinking fresh pressed orange juice if it puts them over maintenance calories. ask the vegans and vegetarians who eat nothing but whole foods(fruits,veggies,nuts,seeds,etc) and have gained weight because they ate too much of those things. calories are still calories,doesnt matter the source.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    onsickmom wrote: »
    Sounds like you have your answers....Stead clear of that processed stuff....I agree with the guy above...Body don't know if it's real sugar or not...I have to watch mine or I get real Shakey....I eat my fruits early in the day..And most juice you buy packaged has a lot more added sugar stuff than a glass of fresh squeezed...Still sugar...but less....I hope the best for you!!!!!! Happy new year!!!!! Oh maybe check on MVP first....Then decide if you wanna have that...I do it all the time...Example hubby wanted taco Bell while out yesterday...Said one burrito should be OK....So I looked on MVP for nutrition.....1200 mg of sodium????? Ughhhhh no way...So I got a chicken chopped salad from the subway no cheese no dressing....I'm good!!!! Made a choice that is best for my bodies needs....You will too....

if you are having issues with sugar/carbs(which carbs are sugar) making you shaky, you need to see a dr.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Cut all sugar

I've yet to understand how sugar from one source is "bad" but sugar from another source is "good". To me, the quoted post reads "Get rid of all sugar except this sugar."

Refined sugar has a different chemical composition to naturally occurring sugar. While we have evolved to process natural sugar without problem, refined sugar can be harder for some people to cope with. For these people there really is a good sugar and bad sugar.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Cut all sugar

I've yet to understand how sugar from one source is "bad" but sugar from another source is "good". To me, the quoted post reads "Get rid of all sugar except this sugar."

Refined sugar has a different chemical composition to naturally occurring sugar. While we have evolved to process natural sugar without problem, refined sugar can be harder for some people to cope with. For these people there really is a good sugar and bad sugar.

If refined sugars weren't processed as efficiently by the body, that would mean reduced absorption and less calorie intake. Thus, one would lose weight more easily by eating refined sugars as compared to natural sugars, and the sugar content would have less impact upon the body.

And no, the chemical composition isn't different.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: Sugar comes from plants. If you ate the plant instead would the sugar be any different?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Well, if you're juicing, you're not going to be cutting much sugar...

Also, sugar is sugar...your body doesn't distinguish between, say, fructose in a banana or fructose that has been added to something...that said, I do emphasize whole foods and don't eat much in the way of added sugar...I also don't really juice unless it's primarily vegetable base as a supplement to get veggies in...i keep my fruit to a couple servings per day generally....

Sugar in and of itself isn't "evil"...but people over consume...if you're over consuming sugar, the source doesn't really matter...you're still over consuming sugar.

This is spot on.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I

And now I want a grapefruit. A nice pink grapefruit. Love the things.

I just added grapefruit to tomorrow's shopping list. Although I prefer white, peeled, and eaten like an orange.