Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member

Weirdly enough, the starvation mode one doesn't bother me so much. It's stupid, but IMO it's not as damaging or derailing as those others are.

True it's not as damaging, but I think it bothers me so much simply because it is so stupid. Especially when it's claimed you can actually gain weight if you don't eat enough.

That claim gives me great practice at rolling my eyes. Eyeball muscles need a workout too! :p
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The Master Cleanse, where apparently all you drink for 10+ days is acetic acid, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, then take a laxative to blow it all out your kitten. I've heard a lot of stupid ideas, but this takes the cake for pure, sheer idiocy. I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude over the sufferings of certain Master Cleansers as they scour their bowels. Does that make me a bad person?

I reported a case like this to the FDA this week - multiple deaths related to over-ingestion of vinegar. The extent of damage done to the GI was disturbing.

Seriously!!? I know from sorting through some of the lit that it can affect your teeth and wreak some other havoc, but I didn't realize people were dying from it. There used to have some crazy ACV threads going about a year ago, back before 'Nam, but I don't think there's been a good one recently. There were worms coming out of people's noses and EVERYTHING. Good times.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited January 2017
    Clean eating and detoxing...
  • Carb and sugar addictions are real, trigger foods are real, eating disorders are real. Dietary religions are not.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The Master Cleanse, where apparently all you drink for 10+ days is acetic acid, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, then take a laxative to blow it all out your kitten. I've heard a lot of stupid ideas, but this takes the cake for pure, sheer idiocy. I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude over the sufferings of certain Master Cleansers as they scour their bowels. Does that make me a bad person?

I reported a case like this to the FDA this week - multiple deaths related to over-ingestion of vinegar. The extent of damage done to the GI was disturbing.

Is this because of the stupid Trudeau guy and his books?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Eat Less Move More - that's all it takes. hmph. Right.

Fat is bad. Saturated fat is worse.
This discussion has been closed.