Replies

• KerrieMac10
    KerrieMac10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Kids or dogs throwing up on or near you
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Neighbor next door lit off more than a few M80s. Unexpected noise caused severe heart crushing panic.
    That wakeup was beyond bad.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    artillery fire.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was sound asleep about 15 years ago. Innocently just minding my own, dreaming of fluffy kittens and puppies and maybe I was snoring or drooling a bit on my pillow. I'm not sure.

All of a sudden I jumped up, my heart pounding in my chest.. I was soaking wet, the bed was wet and there where bloody ice cubes all over the place. And in the doorway I see 3 people, roaring with laughter.. my best bloody friends at the time... And they *kitten* woke me up, on my 15 year old birthday, on a holiday in Mallorca by dumping a bucket full of water and ice on me! Who needs enemies anyway?

That's probably the worst way I've even been woken up...
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To the sound of a child throwing up in the other room
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Being set of fire seems like a bad way to wake up.
  • Lowell_H
    Lowell_H Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    By the sound of dirt hitting the top of your coffin :D
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    To blood curdling screams. Half way out of bed when I remember my brother and his wife were staying the night and she has night terrors.
  • reneec257
    reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Kid knocking on the bedroom door because they peed the bed in the middle of the night.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The sound of the fire alarm beeping every 30 seconds and saying "low battery" in the middle of the night, when you're out of batteries, and you didn't yet know that hardwired fire alarms could be removed.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The sound of the cat coughing up a hairball...or the 50-pound dog jumping right on me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Absolute worst: 5 AM phone call that dh's 19 year old sister had died in a car accident.
    Second worst- 6 AM phone call that mom died of cancer. Knew it was happening soon but still hard to wake up to that news. Third worst- Dd telling me something was wrong with our old dog and our dog dying in our arms a short time later
    Fourth worst- house across the street being gutted by fire (smoke, fire engines)
    Less bad: nightmare about people dying, dog peeing on the bed and on my leg, sound of my child vomitting/crying/raging, brown recluse spider in my bed biting me by my breast, the sound of men on the roof right outside my 2nd floor bedroom window, big tree's breaking and falling over during ice storm barely missing house
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I sleep like STONE...unless there is an unusual noise! Things like fire sirens, jets overhead, normal household noises like the fridge, ice maker, heat system, pipes, etc., don't faze in the slightest way...but let there be an alarm, or a scream, or a crashing noise like glass or something falling, I'm awake in an instant and fully alert. That has happened a few times over the years. I kinda like it about myself...

Most recently, about three months ago, I woke up at 3:17 AM to the sound of our downstairs neighbor's smoke alarm going off. We live in a building with 60 units. No one else reacted, oddly. I went and knocked on her door. She's a tiny, frail, elderly Chinese woman who speaks about 7 words of English. I wish I had video of the conversation we had in single words and pantomime. She apparently decided at 2:something that she wanted coffee, so put some leftover in a pot on the gas burner, then fell asleep again. Of course, it burned and smoked like crazy. I helped her turn off the alarm, and open all of her windows, then went upstairs and back to bed. My good deed for the month!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Being woken up by the unsettling sense that even though you are alone, you aren't.

This. When you feel someone sit down beside you but no one is there.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    While in college at the University of Minnesota, living with a bunch of roommates in an old house, I injured my back and slept on the couch for a few days because I couldn't climb into my (upper) bunk bed. One night I awoke in the middle of the night with an asthma attack, to a house filled with extremely thick smoke down to the level of my nose, because one of my roommates had come home drunk, put a giant pot of wisconsin beer cheese broccoli soup on the stove, on high, and then passed out. The soup boiled down, caught fire, and flames (and thick black smoke) were shooting about six feet high, licking the kitchen ceiling. Fortunately, the house didn't catch fire too badly and nobody died, probably because of the old asbestos ceiling tiles. Still, waking up to a fire, asthma attack, terrible back pain, running through the house waking everyone, then standing outside half naked in the cold Minnesota winter and snow while we woke up enough to figure out what was happening and what to do about it was definitely the worst for me.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    15 years ago I would have said the child being ill thing - definitely - and quite honestly even though he's 20 now, it still makes me feel bad to hear him when he is ill.

I'm going to have to go with:

"*kitten* on the perimeter. Lock and load and cover your *kitten*!" being hollered at full volume during a no-*kitten*- full on PTSD nightmare.

Brings you awake in no time and being a non-veteran, completely confused.

Most of the PTSD stuff to wake up to is not as dramatic and can be talked down and back to sleep in an hour or so.

That one was an all-nighter. Tremors, flashback, the whole kit and kaboodle.

So, yeah, it had to be worse for the SO who was actually experiencing it, but definitely not a fun way to be brought to full consciousness.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Unwelcome morning wood delivered to the backdoor by a disliked acquaintance.