What is the craziest/strangest/funniest thing you've seen a gym newcomer do?

Options

Replies

• SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    a mid age guy hit the treadmill at high speed..lasted like 10 seconds flew off.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I don't think he's a newbie, but I don't think he should be doing it:

lzk0d79oif9e.jpg

Sadly I've seen a PT trying to squat on those little half a ball balance things......
    He should have been working on doing a decent squat to depth instead of whatever the heck he thinks he's doing.. but that's none of my business... *kermit the frog meme voice*
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options

lzk0d79oif9e.jpg

Sadly I've seen a PT trying to squat on those little half a ball balance things......
    He should have been working on doing a decent squat to depth instead of whatever the heck he thinks he's doing.. but that's none of my business... *kermit the frog meme voice*

I just don't know what the point of it is. At least the half ball has some stability.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    An FBI agent that went nuts fired off a few rounds outside my gym recently but I wasn't there at the time. I listened to the police audio when he got arrested and he sounded like a real loser.

*WINS FOR CRAZIEST THING EVER HAPPENING IN A GYM*
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Honestly the funniest thing was probably last night. I was at the weight machines and a guy comes strolling over, very new and young. Most guys do this move: they put both hands on the bars in the middle of the jungle gym and casually lift themselves up in a pull up on their way to another machine. But this guy... he couldn't quite do it, he wasn't quite strong enough. So he put his hands up, gave a swing, tried pulling himself up only to quickly meet gravity, then did a hard landing and tried to play it cool that he couldn't do a pull up.

I didn't laugh at him, it just struck me as really funny at that moment. He'll get there one day!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    The stuff the OP does. It's kinda judgemental.

I have seen men come in put 5lb plates on a 45lb barbell and lift/squat it.

I have seen men come in put 4x45lb plates on either side and grunt once and leave. There are others who can lift this and more.

What do I care? Nothing. None of my effing business. The first guy could have had spine problems. It's kind of distasteful to judge newbies. Not everyone is Khal Drogo.

Adding to this, everyone was a noob at one point in their lives. We see a lot of threads pop up on MFP with titles like, "Too embarrassed to run," or, "Am I too fat to work out at the gym?" It makes me wonder how many people quit or don't go at all for fear of being laughed at or otherwise judged by gym regulars.
  • lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    stephmph16 wrote: »
    Honestly the funniest thing was probably last night. I was at the weight machines and a guy comes strolling over, very new and young. Most guys do this move: they put both hands on the bars in the middle of the jungle gym and casually lift themselves up in a pull up on their way to another machine. But this guy... he couldn't quite do it, he wasn't quite strong enough. So he put his hands up, gave a swing, tried pulling himself up only to quickly meet gravity, then did a hard landing and tried to play it cool that he couldn't do a pull up.

I didn't laugh at him, it just struck me as really funny at that moment. He'll get there one day!

Me. I tried doing a pull up and couldn't and had to do the walk of shame to the assisted chin up machine lol
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    lauamy96 wrote: »
    Yesterday a guy just started following me around the gym after I showed him where the squat rack and the lat pulldown machines were. I think he thinks we're BFFs now because he also followed me around today. Using EVERY machine that I used right after me. That's creepy. Why. Stop. Go away.

Hay.... can you show me where the sauna is?

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Not sure if he was a newcomer but had never seen him in my gym before... Dude was mean-muggin' me for a while so I wondered if I'd snaked some equipment he was on but when I asked he just glared...uh...ok? Then, I'm doing tricep pushdowns and I see the dude in the mirror 5' behind me holding a straight pushdown bar and looking like he was gonna hit me. I decided to take the "by the book" approach and talk to the staff. Upon talking to him he told them me and another guy (didn't even know him) were in the military and were tryna get him. Whaaaaaaa????? Not sure if he was high on flakka, straight up delusional or what. He disappeared and I never saw him again but kinda disconcerting to have a guy looking to tee off on your head with a lump of steel when you're not looking...

'You'll never know the psycopath sitting next to you'
  • lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    lauamy96 wrote: »
    Yesterday a guy just started following me around the gym after I showed him where the squat rack and the lat pulldown machines were. I think he thinks we're BFFs now because he also followed me around today. Using EVERY machine that I used right after me. That's creepy. Why. Stop. Go away.

Hay.... can you show me where the sauna is?

Yeah, also shower beforehand and remember, no clothes in the sauna! (Still not your bestfriend tho)
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the craziest stuff ive seen at the gym was in the locker room
    1. Old guys using hair dryers on their junk after a shower, and im talking meticulous use of the dryer on said junk
    2. A guy with a colorful and legit tramp stamp on lower back of course.
    3. A creepy old guy that was in the locker room staring at dudes change when I first got there and same old dude standing in the locker room staring at dudes after my workout as if he never moved. My workout is like an hour.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

lzk0d79oif9e.jpg
    So stupid. How the hell is he going to spot him if he loses his balance anyway? He may be able to grab the bar, but the dude is still going to fall hard.
    He'd get the same results if he did it on a Bosu ball which at least wouldn't roll out from under him.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    He wasn't a gym newcomer.. Actually, I'm pretty much sure he lives at the gym but the weight he was lifting... crazy...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So there's a guy who stands on a stability ball and balances for a long time. Then he puts it up on the highest box jump we have 36" and does it. Lol, the only difference? He's higher. But 3 weeks ago he fell and broke his arm.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

lzk0d79oif9e.jpg
    He totally looks like Tom Cruise.
    Side note: I never knew anything about Scientology (except that it was some sort of religion) till I started watching this series with Leah Ramini on it. Crazy stuff.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My favorite is the "pelvic thrust" assisted curl.

1. Butt way way back, bar hanging with too much weight
    2. Rapidly pelvic thrust into bar and arch back/head way way back
    3. Grimace all the way up
    3. No resistance on release...just drop the bar
    4. repeat
    5. about every 4th pelvic thrust assisted curl...let out a grunt/yell while doing your best grimace
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So there's a guy who stands on a stability ball and balances for a long time. Then he puts it up on the highest box jump we have 36" and does it. Lol, the only difference? He's higher. But 3 weeks ago he fell and broke his arm.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh! Maybe he was practicing one of those balancing routines in Cirque Du Soleil