What is the craziest/strangest/funniest thing you've seen a gym newcomer do?

Options
13»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    One time at the gym, I watched a girl get on the treadmill fully dressed. As in, high heel boots, tight jeans and a sweater. She did her whole workout dressed that way. I laffed with one of the ladies who worked there, that maybe she forgot her gym stuff at home, but low and behold, the next day she showed up dressed EXACTLY the same!

Another time this guy came in wearing a sweater that smelled like it needed a wash three months ago. Not weird or funny, just ew!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The stuff the OP does. It's kinda judgemental.

I have seen men come in put 5lb plates on a 45lb barbell and lift/squat it.

I have seen men come in put 4x45lb plates on either side and grunt once and leave. There are others who can lift this and more.

What do I care? Nothing. None of my effing business. The first guy could have had spine problems. It's kind of distasteful to judge newbies. Not everyone is Khal Drogo.

Adding to this, everyone was a noob at one point in their lives. We see a lot of threads pop up on MFP with titles like, "Too embarrassed to run," or, "Am I too fat to work out at the gym?" It makes me wonder how many people quit or don't go at all for fear of being laughed at or otherwise judged by gym regulars.

And people will say in those threads "no one is looking at you or judging you at the gym".
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There was also the time the private changing rooms were full, so I figured what the heck I'll change into my swimsuit in the locker room. Of course this is the time I get my underwire tankini twisted up stuck on halfway with one boob hanging out. The more I struggle the more tangled I become. It takes me a good minute or two jumping and dancing around boobs flopping everywhere to finally break free. I got a one-piece after that.

THIS COULD BE ME. I fully admit I laughed because I know the struggle. Almost as bad as removing sweaty sports bras.

• WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    *The black lady wearing leggings that matched her skin tone exactly. And proceeded to use the leg press machine.
    *Anyone who talks on the phone while on the cardio equipment. Really??
    *The bros. They make me laugh. Spend 2 hours in the gym, lift maybe two things, pose, selfie, flirt, provide unwanted advice to pretty girls, and leave. I genuinely wonder how they actually get so swole because I don't see them actually work.
    *Before my injury, I was deadlifting 285# 4-5 reps consistently. Inevitably, some bro would ask "....are you sure...??" To which my response was to put my earphones back in and lift allthethings. Booyah baby. I got this.

Which brings me to...
    MEN: JUST BECAUSE WE ARE WOMEN DOES NOT MEAN WE CANNOT LIFT AND NEED YOUR HELP. Please for the love of pete. It's one thing to politely ask if I would like a spot. It's another thing to question what I am doing and why. Because I hate cardio. Because weight lifting builds bone density, which women lose as we age. BECAUSE I CAN. STOP IT.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how other women can wear their hair down while they exercise. Doesn't your hair stick to your neck and make it stupidly hot?? Am I the only one???
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    I don't understand how other women can wear their hair down while they exercise. Doesn't your hair stick to your neck and make it stupidly hot?? Am I the only one???

that happens to me too! do you have fine hair? I've been wondering if fine vs thick hair makes a difference in that situation
  • km8907
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »

that happens to me too! do you have fine hair? I've been wondering if fine vs thick hair makes a difference in that situation

Mine's in between fine and thick lol.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »

Mine's in between fine and thick lol.

well that myth is busted then haha
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    No funny stories on my end, but I hate when people do not wipe down the machines. I once went on a treadmill with sweat all over it ><

Also girls that are like really obese that come in wearing crop tops and sports bralettes. Yeeeeah
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I don't think he's a newbie, but I don't think he should be doing it:

lzk0d79oif9e.jpg
    So stupid. How the hell is he going to spot him if he loses his balance anyway? He may be able to grab the bar, but the dude is still going to fall hard.
    He'd get the same results if he did it on a Bosu ball which at least wouldn't roll out from under him.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And I would think dumbbells would be safer...
  • km8907
    Options
    No funny stories on my end, but I hate when people do not wipe down the machines. I once went on a treadmill with sweat all over it ><

Also girls that are like really obese that come in wearing crop tops and sports bralettes. Yeeeeah

Don't body shame bruh
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    On Monday I was in the gym...I've been nursing a couple of injuries for about 6 months, so I've been kind of in and out...well, finally all healed up so I thought I'd hit the Oly platform for some cleans. I totally had to bail on a not so heavy clean and jerk because my bar path got a little out in front of me while I was working on technique...everyone there knows each other so they know I'm not a newb and that I know what I'm doing...but had I been somewhere else visiting or something I'm sure I would have gotten the old Judgey Mc Judgerson
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

Wow.
  • jovanisaldivar
    jovanisaldivar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Swinging the lat pull down so hard that it looked like it was going to tip over!