Maintenance Check January 2017

Options

Replies

• BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @mk2fit: at first what I was reading sounded so complicated, but I found an article that simplified it for me. It's basically what I've known for years: strength training is where the magic happens. Muscle burns fat, so adding a slightly more intense strength training component to your work outs makes you leaner. The times when I have been in the best shape are when I've incorporated fairly intense strength training into my workouts. I'm older now so I would just need to be careful not to injure myself. You also allow yourself more calories on your workout days which would feel counter intuitive when I've been used to a lower caloric intake when trying to lose. You give yourself fewer calories on your "off" days, but when I calculated it, it's still more than I'm even allowing myself right now. I could go hog wild! Whoo hoo! (Just kidding ;)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @BlessedBeyondMsr Ah, the old strength vs cardio. I believe both are important. You just got my head spinning :s
    I do allow fewer calories on my non-running days. (Also feel kind of logy)
  • BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree....both are important. Can't imagine not doing any cardio when working out
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Little behind, but I'm in!

Name: Beth
    Total Weight lost: 61 lbs
    Time it took to lose: a year for most of it, whittling away at the rest over the following 6 months as my goal got lower
    How long in maintenance: Around 6 months
    Maintenance weight range: 113-123 (goal: 118)

Week of...
    2nd January: 114
    9th January:
    16th January:
    23rd January:
    30th January:

Success/struggles of the week: Actually a bit below where I want to be, so being able to eat nutritious foods while doing some lifting so most of any weight I put on is muscle. Going on a trip this weekend and letting myself indulge without feeling sick from too much junk (sometimes can be a fine line for me)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Name: Sara
    Total Weight lost: 50ish pounds
    Time it took to lose: 6 months + a few months of slower loss as I transitioned into maintenance
    How long in maintenance: 3+ years
    Maintenance weight range: current: 130lbs-135lbs -but- I've gone back into a short weight loss period to get this down to 125lbs-130lbs and then possibly 120lbs-125lbs (what I originally got down to when I first started maintenance)

Week of...
    2nd January: 132lbs
    9th January:
    16th January:
    23rd January:
    30th January:

Success/struggles of the week: It's been a weird week-trying to stay in a deficit (for a .5lb loss per week), with the stress (and excitement!) of closing this afternoon/tomorrow. It's hard to focus on my weight right now in the midst of getting ready to move (seeing the final numbers come in yesterday was enough to send me over the deep end lol). Really wanted to get my maintenance range a bit lower, but I might have to put that aside for now and focus on the house thing?
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Name: Trina
    SW: 179 lbs.
    Total Weight lost: 47-50 lbs.
    Time it took to lose: 15 months
    How long in maintenance: almost 2 years
    Maintenance weight range: 128 -132 lbs; I've been holding steady around 130 - 131 lbs. for several weeks now. Went down as low as 126 for a brief time, then bounced back up to 130ish. Would like to stay around 124-128 but whatever. Lost the weight slowly while doing weights and some cardio. I still log and weigh in everyday. 67 years old, 5'2.5"

Week of...
    2nd January: 130.8
    9th January:
    16th January:
    23rd January:
    30th January:

Success/struggles of the week: So far so good. Ever vigilant.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's so nice to see so many successful maintainers! I'm in too... Went a little crazy over the holidays, so have to lose a couple of pounds, but expect to be back in my normal maintenance range in a week or two.

Name: Em
    Total Weight lost: 70 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2+ years... but only about a year once I actually got serious about it.
    How long in maintenance: 2.5 years (I just had to check that... I had no idea it'd been so long!)
    Maintenance weight range: 125 to 135 (wide range, I know, but it works for me... usually)

Weigh in..
    28DEC16: 139 lbs (I think hormone and horrible holiday eating weight... i.e. water weight)
    4 January: 137 lbs (starting to flush out the water, I think... Hoping to be back in range next week... my weigh in this morning was even closer)

Success/struggles of the week: LAST week I was sick as a dog. So far, this week has been awesome. I started a resistance training program which I really like, have restarted my running program (all but quit over the holidays) and am also helping a couple of friends of mine get started with a running program (C25K). Right now, a rest day for me means I'm only doing one thing for exercise instead of 2 or three... and I love it.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Only just found this thread - but I think it's a great idea and probably just what I need to get me back on it after the Christmas/New Year break, so I'm in.

Name: Amanda
    Total Weight lost: 56 pounds
    Time it took to lose: 16 months
    How long in maintenance: 7 months
    Maintenance weight range: 137lbs-142lbs - I managed to put on 6lbs over Christmas so aiming to get back down to the lower end of that range

I weigh every day, but log it on Fridays so I'll update tomorrow:

Week of...
    30th December (for ref): 144lbs
    6th January:
    13th January:
    20th January:
    27th January:

Thanks OP.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see that there are so many of us in similar situations and thet we're not on our own. Thanks to all of you for joining me here <3<3

It seems everyone is more or less on track. Our first week of maintenance together is going well. Personally, I'm not looking forward to the next weigh-in. But there's still time for that.

• stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Week of...
    2nd January: 184.0 pounds
    9th January:
    16th January:
    23rd January:
    30th January:

Success/struggles of the week: Got back from California Christmas vacation, and have shed the four pounds of sodium / water weight and am back in the gym. Working on establishing (a) an accurate number of calories to maintain between 183-187 pounds and (b) a weightlifting / cardio / stretching routine to increase strength and fitness this year. Seem to be on track so far!

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Week of
    2nd January: 115# I usually weigh in on Fridays but will be afs (away from scale) for a few days.

I guess my only struggle this week is the weather. I run outside in my "back yard" and it has been bitter cold so I have been doing my alternate exercising which seems to take forever to equal the calories burned running. I also just love to run.

I keep a running calendar which also has a spot for weight. I looked back and saw I weighed the same this week last year so I must be doing something right. :smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Name: Lori
    Total Weight lost: 148
    Time it took to lose: 2 1/2 years
    How long in maintenance: 9/20/16 first day of weight within maint range
    Maintenance weight range: 150-155

1/1/17 154.6#
    1/9/17 154.6# (I've NEVER been at the exact same weight for 10 days running!)
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My week 2 update:

Week of...
    30th December (for ref): 144lbs
    6th January: 143.2lbs
    13th January:
    20th January:
    27th January:

Success/struggles of the week: I'm a little bit disappointed with only -0.8lbs if I'm honest, particularly since I'd been lower earlier in the week :( Oh well, it's moving in the right direction at least.
    It was almost back to my normal gym/running routine this week - which felt good - and will be completely back to normal next week - which will be even better :)
    I also managed to get husband to take the last of the mince pies to work with him, so all of the Christmas food is now gone - which should make things a bit easier too!

How's your week been?
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    It seems everyone is more or less on track. Our first week of maintenance together is going well. Personally, I'm not looking forward to the next weigh-in. But there's still time for that.

I'm one of the few who went over their maintenance level the last 2 weeks. Thought there'd be more in this bucket.... However great work everyone for keeping on point over the holidays!

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Name: Nancy

Week of January 6: 136

Total weight loss: 71 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 13 months
    Goal weight: 130
    Range: 129 - 134

Up two lbs from the holidays. Hoping to work back into my range and find that sweet number for maintenance soon!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    Name: Jen
    Total Weight lost:135+
    Time it took to lose: 2.5yrs
    How long in maintenance: I declared it at 140 last January, but that was too high for a petite lady. So not really in maintenance quite yet.
    Maintenance weight range: Would like to stay under 125 at morning weigh-in. Was down to 126.4 after a month of pre-Holiday dieting, but am back up to 127.3 on TrendWeight today.

Week of...
    2nd January: 127.2lbs
    9th January:
    16th January:
    23rd January:
    30th January:

Success/struggles of the week: Total panic bingeing over the holidays. I still need to learn to trust my body cues, be content with eating just enough, and stop asking food to be more than just fuel.

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    fidangul wrote: »

I'm one of the few who went over their maintenance level the last 2 weeks. Thought there'd be more in this bucket.... However great work everyone for keeping on point over the holidays!

Nope I was over since Halloween haha, so my maintenance is get back to maintenance levels
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Name:Candice
    Total Weight lost:46lbs
    Time it took to lose: 9 months
    How long in maintenance: 4 months
    Maintenance weight range: 135-140

Week of...
    2nd January: 138.2
    9th January:
    16th January:
    23rd January:
    30th January:

Success/struggles of the week: getting my steps in wasn't easy but got my lifting program back on track easily with no losses.