January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)
    1/5: 5 miles (m)

My Total/January: 17.1 miles
    Mike's Total: 17.2 miles

Ran the path by the lake today. It has some uneven areas that my legs really don't like, but I still like to run it once in a while. Fergus seems to like checking out the water fowl as we run by.

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km
    January 4 - 11.5 km
    Januaty 5 - 7.0 km

exercise.png
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1/3: 3 miles
    1/4: 4 miles
    Hoping to do another 4 mile run today. The weather is nicer today!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree I had thought about that, but I do need to shovel some snow, so I'm thinking I'll bundle up and warm up with snow shoveling.

On another note, I was thinking about signing up for a nearby run taking place soon either 5K or 10K to keep me motivated. The closest I've found is on Feb. 11 about 90 miles away in the nearest city - which isn't that far as I visit the city often. For a Sat., it is reasonable. It is Valentine's Day themed, so all participants get a box of chocolate and a bottle of wine (and a rose). I am single and eat low carb, so wouldn't have a use for the chocolate or wine. I'm sure I could find a friend or relative to take them, I suppose. I wonder if it makes sense to sign up, though. And should I do 5K or take a chance and do 10K? *Note: I've never done a race beyond 5K. I've done longer runs on my own, but don't do very many official races and the few I've done have all been 5K's.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I had a scheduled rest day Tuesday, but an unscheduled rest day yesterday. My wife and I got our evening plans crossed and I ended up making a late dinner for the kids. She knew I wanted to run but thought I was running late. I couldn't run late because my son & I had plans to watch The Revenant on TV. Fantastic movie! I wish I had seen it on the big screen.

SHMBO is going out for happy hour with work friends so I'm on dinner duty tonight but I think I may just throw a pizza at it and get outside. -20F windchill tonight but I need miles. Slight chance I'll wimp out and go to the indoor track though. If it wasn't so cold I'd go to the local sledding hill and do some hill repeats (sled down, run up)

I don't know if I mentioned by my 20 mile race in February in Kansas is now off the table. I just can't justify the $300+ it would cost for the weekend after I found out my daughter won't be there. She'll be at a volleyball tournament. I'm considering a 17 mile trail race in early April as a warmup to my 50K instead.

Still catching up with the first part of this thread..6 pages down, I'll catch up with the rest later.

music while running - I used to avoid it, until I started using music to help boost my cadence, then I got to where I enjoyed it. I'll now use my earbuds when road running but not trail running. Using my earbuds on the trail would be like using earbuds in church. It just wouldn't feel right.

@MNLittleFinn I use Google Sheets for logging my run data. I can access it anywhere and it's easy to use. I'm an avowed MS Excel/Word hater so those are not options for me. This is in addition to Garmin Connect & Strava tracking. If you're interested I could post some screen captures. Also, looking forward to seeing how your plan works out for you.
    @jodilynnsanders5104 glad you're getting back into your running groove!
    @mobycarp awesome race!!
    @kristinegift how awesome you signed up for a 50K!! I'm very excited for you!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 feel free to send the wine and candy this way, thank you very much! Since you said you have done the longer distance, not just in a race, I'd go with the 10K. No better way to see if you can, then to do it. I like @greenolivetree 's idea of warming up inside, dang why haven't I ever thought of that.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I use Google Sheets for logging my run data. I can access it anywhere and it's easy to use. I'm an avowed MS Excel/Word hater so those are not options for me. This is in addition to Garmin Connect & Strava tracking. If you're interested I could post some screen captures. Also, looking forward to seeing how your plan works out for you.

Cool. I use google sheets for everything for work and a lot of other things. In theory I'll have my plan in hand next Monday or Tuesday. I'll post some details then. it will be kind of nice having it a few weeks before it's start time, so I can get things figured out for my personal scheduling for runs and such.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Snow shoveling warms me up too!

@7lenny7 Your post cracked me up. Running/sledding....earbuds in church/nature.... And great choice watching a movie with your son over running :star: I can't find a thumbs up so I'm giving you a gold star for parenting. LOL

@skippygirlsmom The indoor warmup really works great, but have to know when to stop vs push it too far and get too hot. LOL I get all dressed except hat/gloves/outer jacket if I'm wearing one, do about 10 min, then add the final pieces and head out.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - omg, I cracked up at your facial fitness video. I don't blame you for not doing the Kansas run if your daughter won't be there.

@skippygirlsmom - beautiful sunrise!

@elise4270 - Home the new med is helpful. I already said it, but so great to see you running! :smile: Don't punch anyone.

Unplanned rest day for me. My daughter flew in last night (yeah, I just saw her a week ago in NYC) but she came in for a wedding. Can't believe she's only 23 and has already had 2 friends get married. Both good friends of hers from her high school. Anyway she didn't get in until 1am and at that time we noticed a leak in the bathroom. We just replumbed the house 13 months ago (with a 1 year warranty). Luckily plumber came today and it was minor. So I could not sleep after all that and there was no use running at 4:30 with no sleep. I also have a little bit of a cold, which I'm refusing to acknowledge. So many kids are sick here at school this week, my hands are raw with hand sanitizer!

I did have a New Year's goal of taking 1 rest day a week, and now I've got 2 in one week. Overdoing it as usual.

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - rest day

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    OK, So on the 5K or 10K to keep me motivated. Help me out here... I really am considering the 10K. One of my 2017 resolutions was to run both a 10K and a half marathon this year. I've never done a race beyond a 5K, but have done longer distances on my own (not quite half marathon distances).

There is the race on 2/11, which is either 5K or 10K. I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for the 10K or not. The 5K would be comfortable for me at this point and the 10K would be more "challenging" but would also be a PR as long as I finish at all (I don't have much concern over finishing).

Whether I do the 5K or 10K, I'm also thinking about doing a trail run on 4/1. This is available in either 4 mile, 12K, or half marathon distances. If I only do 5K on 2/11, I'm definitely going to do at least 12K on 4/1 and consider that fulfilling the 10K resolution. The trail run sounds difficult. From the event description:
    Touted as "Toughest in the Midwest", 8th most challenging trail run in the US by Business Insider Magazine, and our long sleeve T top 10 by Runner's World!

Help me out... what does everyone think for 2/11 - 5K or 10K? And for 4/1 trail run? 12K or half?
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Help me out... what does everyone think for 2/11 - 5K or 10K? And for 4/1 trail run? 12K or half?

@midwesterner85 do you want a comfortable run or a challenging run? I love a challenge, so I'd go with the longer of both options. I'd rather challenge myself and fail than doing something comfortable and succeed. What you want is more important than my preference though.

That trail race sounds like a lot of elevation (or it wouldn't be considered tough). If you do go for it, I'd suggest weekly hill work, both uphill AND downhill. If it's a race with a lot of elevation drop, it will be hell on your quads if you're not ready for it.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just found out the marathon I'm hoping to do as my first full will not have any pace runners and headphones/earbuds not allowed, (I normally get pace announcements from my phone).

Anyway, that means I'm in the market for a cheap gps running watch - all I want is something with GPS, that can track runs independently of my phone, can connect to HR strap (or has inbuilt HR) and can get the data out and into one of the popular platforms (garmin/strava etc). As I say main criteria is cheap - preferably around or even under £100 (GBP).

I'm familiar with Garmin products/data from my cycling days so my fallback position is something like the Forerunner 25, but don't really know what else is worth considering at this price point - anyone have particular favourites amongst the budget ranges?

Edit: FYI - I am going to stalk the local second-hand forums so hoping something may pop up there.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@midwesterner85 do you want a comfortable run or a challenging run? I love a challenge, so I'd go with the longer of both options. I'd rather challenge myself and fail than doing something comfortable and succeed. What you want is more important than my preference though.

That trail race sounds like a lot of elevation (or it wouldn't be considered tough). If you do go for it, I'd suggest weekly hill work, both uphill AND downhill. If it's a race with a lot of elevation drop, it will be hell on your quads if you're not ready for it.

I'm not familiar with either location, but I would guess the same about hills for the trail run. Over the next week or 2, perhaps I should check out the areas where these will be held. As for a challenge, I can accept the 10K challenge, but not sure about the 4/1 half. We do have 4 hours to do it, though, so I know I can finish the 12K even if I have to walk most or all of it. That wouldn't be the most comfortable or best scenario - I would have to start last so I am not in others way on the single trail route.
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @midwesterner85 one thing I do when I'm in doubt about a race is wait until the last day before the price goes up to decide unless there's a chance they'll fill up.

I found the trail race you're talking about, read a race report, and looked at some photos. Unless you're able to put in a lot of time training on trails and love hills, I would not recommend the HM. This is the first year of HM, but the 12K looks brutal enough. The median pace for the 12K last year was 11:30. On a 7Mi trail race I was in last year the median pace was 9:30, a full 2 minutes faster than your race. The elevation graph shows some VERY steep hills. It does look like a beautiful, fun course though.

If you want a challenge, I'd go with the 10K in February, then the 12K in April, with weekly hill work in between. Just my 2¢
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    1/5 - 3.5
    Jan total: 15.5
    I should mention all my runs are being done on a treadmill. Even though I live in Maine and I'm a hearty New Englander, I don't want to run in the dark & cold!!! Think spring...
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    http://bigislandroadrunners.org/BIRR_h2v.html
    Just thought I'd toss this out there for people interested in a destination challenge.....this starts at Hilo bay and runs......mostly uphill.....for 31 miles to Volcano.....
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yesterday and today I've picked up my son from school because it's freezing cold, we live a mile away, and I'm too nice to make him walk :* Yesterday 2 girls were running and today 2 boys. One of the boys not even wearing a hat or earmuffs or gloves with single digit windchill with 14mph wind. Holy cow! My hands are freezing IN MY CAR!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Yesterday and today I've picked up my son from school because it's freezing cold, we live a mile away, and I'm too nice to make him walk :* Yesterday 2 girls were running and today 2 boys. One of the boys not even wearing a hat or earmuffs or gloves with single digit windchill with 14mph wind. Holy cow! My hands are freezing IN MY CAR!

"Holy cow" is right!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

I did have a New Year's goal of taking 1 rest day a week, and now I've got 2 in one week. Overdoing it as usual.

@ddmom0811 you are such an overachiever ;-) tell that cold to go away. How long is the girl in town? Enjoy!
    @honunui wow what a race...this part scares me Temperatures range from 40 to 80 degrees.
    @greenolivetree I'm amazed at what I see people running in when it's this cold. Especially the boys. None of our running boys will wear tights, Skip tells them they are stupid.