January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Date:: :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3

Resolution Run 2017! It's a run sponsored by the local track club and is not a timed race. The course is a surprise and is between 4-6 miles every year. This year it was 4.26 miles according to my Garmin, so right around there. The weather was great and I had some fun people to run with. There was one big hill and a champagne stop at about the halfway point. At the end, there was pasta and chili. A fun way to start the year.

Happy new year, runners!

That hill on John Street sucked - but a great way to start 2017!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I plan on doing nearly all of my long runs unfuelled, it's more just practicing eating while running if/when I take fuel. for runs out to 14 miles, I haven't taken any fuel with me and have actually run fasted for most of them. big thing for me will be proper fueling BEFORE the race, that's been my downfall before, not having enough fuel to start.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I have zero motivation to run right now :| could be the dreary weather.

Don't wait around for motivation, just do it!

(Don't take this advice if you're feeling violent!)

When my husband read aloud off facebook that a friend of ours was going running......and this guy is much older than me, had a massive heart attack a couple years ago, quit smoking, loss weight, and became a runner.....that was my cue to get up off it!
  • Redhouse6758
    Redhouse6758 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Didn't make my goal last month, I will try again... 0/50miles.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Didn't make my goal last month, I will try again... 0/50miles.

At least you're trying and not giving up. :smile:
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I have zero motivation to run right now :| could be the dreary weather.

Don't wait around for motivation, just do it!

(Don't take this advice if you're feeling violent!)

When my husband read aloud off facebook that a friend of ours was going running......and this guy is much older than me, had a massive heart attack a couple years ago, quit smoking, loss weight, and became a runner.....that was my cue to get up off it!

Yeah, that'll do it. :wink:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I plan on doing nearly all of my long runs unfuelled, it's more just practicing eating while running if/when I take fuel. for runs out to 14 miles, I haven't taken any fuel with me and have actually run fasted for most of them. big thing for me will be proper fueling BEFORE the race, that's been my downfall before, not having enough fuel to start.

There's a limit to how much glycogen your body can store (typically estimated at 1.5 to 2 hours worth at marathon pace). Clearly 2 hours of glycogen is not enough. Because of that, I feel that proper fueling DURING the race is critical for peak performance.

While there are certainly gains to be made by glycogen-depleted long runs (improved glycogen storage and increased fat utilization), there's a limit to how much can be gained by doing so, and too many long runs in the fasted state will impair your performance and limit your fitness gains.

Running fully fueled allows for better performance and quicker recovery. Personally, I alternate between glycogen depleted and glycogen loaded in the middle of the training cycle then within 3 to 4 weeks of the race, I'd go only glycogen-loaded because by then you should have increased your fat burning ability sufficiently and you won't lose it in that amount of time.

I highly recommend this article by Runners Connect for a more thorough discussion.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 _That is an excellent point about knowing your max fuel uptake. I have an inflammatory bowel disease, so I can get really psyched out about eating the wrong things. I think this is what got me accustomed to running without fuel. I think I am subconsciously afraid to eat. I have been lucky so far, but this makes me even more scared about having issues on my next marathon. I plan to do at least one 20 mile simulator run with full fueling. Thanks for the input!
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7 That's a great article.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn thanks so much! This is my first full marathon so I'm nervous and pumped as well. There is soooo much information on the net, which is great on the one hand, but is overwhelming on the other hand. I see you are marathon training as well - when is yours scheduled for?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn thanks so much! This is my first full marathon so I'm nervous and pumped as well. There is soooo much information on the net, which is great on the one hand, but is overwhelming on the other hand. I see you are marathon training as well - when is yours scheduled for?

Mine is on 6/17 I almost wish it was sooner, almost....I know I need the time for training, but I'm having to work really hard at not psyching myself out this far out from it.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I'll try to get some time over the next few days to go through how I calculated my marathon nutrition requirements (in a way that anyone can use to calculate their own) and how I went about satisfying them. As an engineer I needed to take a rigorous approach to this, rather than blindly follow the "typical" advice. I felt that my nutrition strategy, other than overdoing the carbo-load phase, was quite successful. In thinking ahead to my ultra, race nutrition plays an even bigger role in success so I've been researching the topic quite a bit.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)

My Total/January: 8.1 miles
    Mike's Total: 8.2 miles

Didn't run yesterday morning due to the tremendous amount of water falling from the sky. It did clear up and I could have run later or hit the treadmill, but, let's face it, I was feeling lazy and opted to play video games instead. This morning, Mike, Fergus and I went out for a nice run though. I wore my new resistance tights for the first time and they really did make a difference. I wouldn't say it was very hard to run in them, but it definitely made a difference. I think I noticed it more when I got back and took them off. My thighs are feeling like they got more of a workout than usual.

I have to remember to check in even when I take a day off from running. I have over a hundred posts to catch up on!

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Had a workout today, 200s and 400s at mile pace, went a little too fast in the beginning as usual but settled nicely in the zone after. I also added a recovery 35 min run in the evening

Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km

exercise.png
  • zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • zipsterj
    Options

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    Options
    01/01 -
    01/02 8.0 Miles - The side streets were glazed with ice so I elected to go to a local high school and run on the indoor track.

qcgni24c9n0q.jpeg

g3.jpeg 12.9K
  • zipsterj
    Options
    zipsterj wrote: »

exercise.png

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals

January total to date – 21.09

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – I have a commitment this evening, so I got over to the indoor track early to do my speed work. Mid-day there were some people who looked like faculty walking the track, and a few other runners, but it wasn't terribly busy. Got in my 2 mile warmup, break for rest room and water fountain, then on to the real workout: 2 miles MP, 1 x 800 at T, 1 x 1600 at T, 1 x 800 at T, 2 miles MP. The plan didn't specify how much recovery, and because I was early Coach wasn't there to ask, so I winged it and gave myself an easy 200 m lap recovery after each MP or T interval. Skipped the cool down because I'm watching weekly mileage.

Yesterday I realized that my Achilles did not speak up at all after I ran hard for 7.5 miles of rolling hills on New Year's Day. I can count myself as fully recovered from the Achilles tendonitis! Just like all injuries, the recovery was complete some time before I noticed that it was.

Looking at the training plan now, this week calls for 46 miles. I'm going to go over, and might even be close to 50 miles. I'm not sure how to think about that. On the one hand, I feel great and 50 miles shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, last week I ran 42 miles, and 50 is a big jump from there. Oh, well. Probably should talk it over with Coach when I see him Thursday. No doubt he'll also have something to say about how to treat the half marathon on Saturday.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)