January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No running for me today, as it'll be strength work time tonight. So I'll just leave last night's run up here instead:

01 - 5.21 miles
    02 - 5.60

Total: 10.81 / 75
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 does cycling increase the production of snot? I've got an extra layer of "protection" now on my gloves and neckband :D

LOL, actually yes it does. When it is cold out my nose runs drips the whole time when cycling. I got a prescription for something that is for runners/cyclists who have this problem when running. I don't have it with me but when I get home I will look and get you the name. It has no side effects and is not addictive. I only use it when it's really cold.

Got my first run in of the year! It was so hot out this morning, after having run in New York last week. Oh well, it was still good to get some miles in!

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I almost forget that I ran on New Years Day!! I think it was because it did not go as planned. I slipped on some ice, hurt my knee, had a very ignorant person drive right at me!!! So glad my run was good today despite my knee being a little sore today.

exercise.png
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Damn it did this to me in November...the ticker isn't working!! I'm up to 11km
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers! Feel free to add me as a friend

@_nikkiwolf_ Good luck with your HH plan! I used his plans for my first few half and full marathons but then just kinda started making mine on my own. I wasn't very happy with my running in 2016 and looking back, I can see that I just wasn't putting the right miles/training into my races...which is probably why I didn't run that many to begin with. I'm determined 2017 is going to be different if I can help it and that starts by sticking to a HH training plan.

@RunsOnEspresso So sorry you're not feeling good this close to the race, but I think that being a little under 2 weeks out still gives you plenty of time to get better. I know it's probably not the best thing for your mental state of mind to miss some runs, but missing some of your taper runs will not mean you won't be able to complete the marathon. You've put your time in and done your long runs, so I would say the best thing you can do for yourself right now is to make sure you're 100% healthy for race day. I had a sinus infection for my first marathon and was just recovering from walking pneumonia for my second and ever since then, I immediately go see the doctor if I even have so much as a sniffle within a week of my race haha. Drink lots of EmergenC, take lots of vitamin C, and get lots of rest! You've got this!

I forgot I had an emergenC I got in a race packet. Drinking it right now. I've also been eating as many Clementines as I can in a day (usually about 3).

I had pneumonia once. Now I get the pneumonia vaccine.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 does cycling increase the production of snot? I've got an extra layer of "protection" now on my gloves and neckband :D

LOL, actually yes it does. When it is cold out my nose runs drips the whole time when cycling. I got a prescription for something that is for runners/cyclists who have this problem when running. I don't have it with me but when I get home I will look and get you the name. It has no side effects and is not addictive. I only use it when it's really cold.

Got my first run in of the year! It was so hot out this morning, after having run in New York last week. Oh well, it was still good to get some miles in!

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

I need the name of that too! My nose runs all the time when I workout, no matter the time of year.
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    New year..New Resolutions!.. Hoping to stick with them this year.

I am in for 60 miles! Will start today.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow! Already six pages. New Year, still behind on everyone's posts. :)

In for 75 miles and at least 10 strength workouts / Bodypump classes.

1/1 - Still wasn't feeling up to it.
    1/2 - Bodypump, the 2.25 miles on the 'mill
    1/3 - 4.5 miles on the treadmill (Trek class). That'll clean your lungs out.

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 the Hound Dog half is going to be big this year, they have already doubled their registration from years past. That dog running was the best think to happen to Elkmont's Cross Country/T&F team, who the race benefits. They raised enough money in this race for equipment, their XC team didn't have to pay any fees to run this year and runners who made State in T&F had their costs to go to Gulf Shores paid for...I love a good cause.

That is so awesome. This story always tugs at my heart strings because my dog is a hound and that is totally something I can see her doing.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Stella was a mess of energy when I got home from work so I figured the best option was for both of us to go out for a bit of a run. She was all over the place during the run but we got it done.

Well that sounds familiar! LOL

BTW, I saw your picture with Stella on one of the dog running threads. She is sooo cute!
  • lporter229
    Options
    Jan 1-5.3 miles
    Jan 2- Rest day- P90X3 yoga

Yesterday I did the first P90X3 video-yoga. It was not at all hard, but I am surprised by how incredibly sore my upper back is today. I have been doing yoga pretty regularly over the past month. I guess I just need to get back into the P90 groove.

I skipped my run this morning because it was raining really hard. It's foggy and yucky and grey, so I hope it clears up a bit before this evening. I think it's supposed to rain most of the day and winds are supposed to be picking up as the day rolls on. I have a feeling I am going to regret it this evening.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm back!!! :sweat_smile:

exercise.png

1/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    2/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    3/1: 3.52 kms (Wk1 D1 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 10 mins Squat Challenge + 5 mins Tabata HIIT

I'm only counting running distances on the ticker.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kathrinep welcome to our little family here. Awesome! Since you are complaining about pain, my first question is shoes. Have you been fitted for proper running shoes at a shoe that specializing in running shoes? Wearing the wrong shoe for your foot, or running style will kill your shins, knees and hips. I would start to look there.

Sounds like you are doing what is called static stretches before you run, they are no good, it's not good to stretch muscles that aren't warm. My daughter (and her professional running coach) who runs cross country and track swears by these dynamic stretches. I thought I had a better video link somewhere but I can't find it. This covers it though.

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/a-dynamic-stretching-routine

I'm sure you'll get lots of other good advice from the folks here. Between us we have all been there done that. :smile:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm in again. 40 miles for the month but hoping to smash that. Did a nice sunny but cold 5 miler yesterday, and have signed up to a Kx365 challenge of being active every day. That doesn't mean I'm going to be running every day though!!

I have an off-road 10k to train for for the end of the month. No new shoes for Christmas, but trying to work out whether I can get away with using my work tool allowance to buy a head torch....

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks - anyone knows if running there is ok?

Looks like the typical outfit is a track suit in polyester, and a backpack - prob about 75%+ were like that. But on my couple of short runs in my mismatched shorts and tights with long-sleeved shirt under a short-sleeved tee, with hat and gloves and headphones, I didn't see anyone that was laughing at my outfit. But then again, they're Japanese and that would've been unthinkable for them, culturally-speaking. :smile:

don't you believe it - there would be much merriment in private for sure!!!

Spent a couple of years living in Japan longer ago than I'd like to admit. Wasn't a runner then but bikes were the order of the day. Sit-up-and-beg types. Always wanted to be able to do the step-through thing getting on the bike, but after countless collapsing on the floor moments gave up.

enjoy it. It's a great place, if...expensive....

• jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    Jan 1 - rest day (ran 10 km yesterday, now post-Christmas cleaning)
    Jan 2 - 10km run with Fartleks mid way
    Jan 3 - 50 min swim (1.3km)

Upcoming races:

March 2017 Hamilton Around The Bay 30km
    May 2017 Ottawa Marathon (my first full marathon)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 I just saw that you have a full marathon coming up in May. Here's to a great training cycle for you!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Since no one is back at the December thread, I'm posting my catch-up comments here:

@greenolivetree, love the new shoes!

@juliet3455 sorry to hear about your calf twinges but glad you've pinpointed what triggers it.

@lissadecker I enjoyed the video!!

@beeerrunner my favorite sock for wet conditions is Drymax. I have the Lite Mesh for running in 35F or greater. They were my sock of choice for my marathon.

@orphia I'd be afraid I'd snap my neck if I did a headstand. Well done!

@mnlittlefinn though I'm not experienced, I'll toss in my two cents (and probably repeat what others have said). I understand that most people have enough glycogen for about 90 minutes of running marathon pace, therefore any LR over 90 minutes in a candidate for race nutrition practice. While there's benefit to practicing your fueling strategy, it's also good to work on training your body to burn a higher percentage of fat. I tend to alternate my long runs...one week I'll go with regular fueling to test/confirm my strategy, and the next week I'll minimize or even eliminate taking in fuel as a means to train my body to burn more fat. On my 19 mile run last week, which took over 3 hours, I didn't take in ANY food or liquids. There are race nutrition calculators available which factor in your particular data and tell you how much nutrition you need to take in during the race. I found this worked great for me and I never felt under fueled. With this result, and the info on the aid stations from the marathon website (what they serve and where there are) I figured out how many calories I need total, how many I'd get from the race provided sports drink, and made up the rest of my fueling requirements with my homemade honey gel mixture. Since your body is limited as to how many calories it can process in a given amount of time, it's important to start fueling immediately. I started taking in my fuel immediately before the race. Also, because the absorption is time limited, base your intake during practice runs on time, NOT distance. Another thought, start practicing race nutrition sooner rather than later. If your first attempt or two fails you'll want time to find a strategy that works. FWIW, I found that I could barely breath when I used chews during a run. Don't stock up until you know they work.

@lporter229 I definitely by into the concept of training fasted, but I like to alternate that with testing maximum nutrition uptake. Your not only testing if a certain food will work, but testing how the maximum amount you can take in without overdoing it. It kind of sucks to do that because I'd rather replace my running calories with beer and cheeseburgers rather than gels. Regarding the timing, I've read that it takes about 30 minutes for gels to become useful energy, so if you took a gel 10 miles in to a HM, and you're running a 10 minute mile, you'll barely noticed the difference. Better to take one at 7 or 8 miles. I have a half coming up in a few weeks and I don't plan on using any fuel during the race.

@elise4270 way to go on getting some running miles!!

@calvin2008brian congrats on being able to see your son in his last marching band performance! I bet you both were nervous when the presence of the Gophers at that game was in doubt. Are you doing the Securian HM?

@patrikc333 I used to HAVE to have an empty stomach when running but when I decided I was going to depend on aid station Gatorade, I start practicing running drinking 8 or more ounces of it at a time. Now that I'm training for ultras, I'm eating real food just before my run and will soon be taking real food out with me on my longest runs. I'm reading race reports telling of aid stations with quesadillas, waffles, PBJ sandwiches, and more!

@kristinegift ...2400...damn!!
    @stoshew71 ...2952...double damn!!

@ddmom0811 hope you feel better by now!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hanukkah, Eid, Kwanza, or whatever else you may have celebrated!

The only running related gift I received was a pair of bluetooth earbuds which I love!
    I did buy myself some more gear...shorts, socks, compression tights, calf compression sleeves, another buff, and a pair of mittens.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    January Goals:

Trail Miles: 40
    Total Miles: 145

2017 goals:
    Stay Injury Free Minimize injuries
    Complete an ultramarathon...or two.
    More trail miles
    1500 total miles
    Get my son running regularly
    Start a regular core/strength routine
    Get new PR's for 5K, 10K, and HM

I signed up for my first trail half marathon. I found a discount code for an October trail race in one of the prettiest state parks for fall color. The race only cost me $15! Includes a shirt and homemade soup at the end. I'm in!! There is a risk I can't make it due to sailing, but I'll take that chance.

Upcoming Races & Events (*Registered & Planned)
    01/28/2017 - *Securian Winter Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    04/29/2017 - *Chippewa 50K Trail Race - New Auburn, WI
    05/24/2017 - Endless Summer Trail Running Series, 10K - Eagan, MN
    06/00/2017 - Dan Patch Days 5K - Savage, MN
    07/04/2017 - 4th of July Road Race 10K - Red Wing, MN
    07/12/2017 - Endless Summer Trail Running Series, 7Mi - Eagan, MN
    07/19/2017 - *Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis, MN
    08/02/2017 - Endless Summer Trail Running Series - Bloomington, MN
    08/30/2017 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series - Bloomington, MN
    09/13/2017 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series - Bloomington, MN
    09/00/2017 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
    09/27/2017 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series - Bloomington, MN