Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1

Not the best run today, but got one in before the potential of freezing rain a little later. Which means I wimped out on going to my group workout tonight but I am NOT up for a repeat of last week's running in the cold rain. Stella was a mess of energy when I got home from work so I figured the best option was for both of us to go out for a bit of a run. She was all over the place during the run but we got it done.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.17 - 15 m. LR
    01.02.17 - 10 m.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have zero motivation to run right now :| could be the dreary weather.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I also got a new headlamp, shoe lights, entry to a few races, and some running clothes. I love getting new running gear!

Are these, by chance, the shoe lights I saw on Shark Tank a short while ago? Let us know what you think.

I received Knuckle Lights as a gift a few years ago. Never got used to all the light movement you get with them and quickly went back to using a headlamp alone.

No, these are Protocol Shoe Lights, which are neon lights that clip onto the back of the shoes for extra visibility. I didn't about the other lights you mentioned, so I looked them up. I'm not sure that I'd like the extra light movement either.

@OSUbuckeye906 I love Brooks so I love them! Sorry about your Buckeyes this weekend. My cousin is an Ohio State grad and I went to visit him while he was going to school there, what a great campus. I love getting new running gear woohoo!

Ugh, that game. It is what it is. We have a pretty young team this year and they had a better season than expected, but getting shut out like that hurt. I went to a concert NYE and knew I was going to end up missing the last part of the game, which I was initially bummed about but it turns out that was a really good thing.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - 50K!
    @shanaber - love that little chart. It's not like we can't figure it out but it just a numbers thing that's fun to study!

Feeling a lot better today so went for a bike ride with just my husband. OMG it was so windy! We slept in and didn't start until 10am, which was a mistake - it was over 80 when we finished. But the worst was the wind. Where we would normally be going about 19mph, we were going 13 mph. I think we are both still a little weak. I still don't feel like eating much.

So, not a very exciting ticker so far, lol. Planning on running in the morning and facing the first day back to school.

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 -

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Yesterday = 4.2 mile walk.
    Today = First run of 2017 = 8.1 miles.

Good thing I got out in the morning today, because it was raining by 1:00 in the afternoon. Wanted to do 10, but my energy levels were not good, so I opted for 8 instead. Now my legs are extremely sore.

Have to decide whether to go early tomorrow or just take a rest day. I won't have time in the evening due to my therapy appointment.
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just jetting back in to things again. I'll keep it at a modest 30 miles.

1/2/2017 1.5 Miles

exercise.png

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This is my first month back so I am going with 30 miles for January. I tentatively have my first half scheduled for May 21 (Cleveland Marathon Weekend), with a June 11 back up plan (Run and Ride Cedar Point). Have not signed up for either yet, I am waiting until last minute to see how training goes.

1/2 - 2 miles - 2 miles
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Happy new year everyone! <3

I'm in again for 200km this month.

Yesterday I was busy travelling; today I'm back home and did the first run of the year. I got the book "Run Fast" by Hal Higdon for Christmas, and after reading it on the plane yesterday, I decided to do a run with 3x800m intervals. I even figured out how to set up my watch for "5min warmup - 3x(800m run, 400m rest) - 10 min cool-down". My plan was to run the intervals at 5:00min/km.
    Sadly, I screwed up the first interval - I wasn't paying attention and didn't hear my watch beeping, and only noticed almost 400m into the first interval that I was supposed to be speeding up, so I didn't hit the goal pace for that one, but at least I managed exactly 5:00min/km for the second 400m. The second interval was a bit too fast with 4:54, the third one a tiny bit too slow with 5:01. I'm actually surprised I came that close, since the current-pace display of my watch isn't terribly accurate and sometimes really slow to update. And one thing I learned is that next time I'll use the "lap mode" and set it to 400m instead of using the "interval mode" - that way I can still do 800m/400m intervals, and if I miss the start again, I can just wait for the next lap without worrying about messing up the entire fancy program I configured.

---

@kristinegift A 50k race? Wow, that's a huge thing!

@Orphia Congratulations on the course PR :smile:

@BeeerRunner Great run! Too bad about the headphones. Was the battery just empty, or are they dead for good? My old ones broke the first time I attempted to run more than 20km - I got caught in an apocalyptic rainstorm 2km in, and they didn't survive falling in a puddle. I ended up turning back, waiting for the end of the storm and trying again with dry clothes and music via my phones speakers a few hours later. The headphones I bought after that have so far survived everything I did to them, I hope it stays that way.

@OSUbuckeye906 I've just started a new Hal Higdon plan today too! Well, a mix of the Intermediate 2 and Advanced 1 training plans. I used the Intermediate 2 for my first marathon and was quite happy with it. Now I started looking at the Advanced plans because I'd like to add some speed training this time. But I want to have at least a little cycling in the mix too, rather than running six days... The solution I came up with is to keep the crosstraining day from intermediate 2 but doing the speedwork from advanced 1 instead of one of the short midweek runs. Apart from the speedtraining day instead of a crosstraining day, the two plans look identical to me.
    And on another note: I love your new shoes :)

@ddmom0811 A 40 mile ride in windy weather sounds really tough, kudos on doing that, especially when you are still recovering. Hope you'll be back to 100% tomorrow!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    January milege
    1---0.50 walk
    2---3.47 walk.
    I wanted to get out and run today. But things are a little grumpy. It's 70 today. Couldn't ask for a nicer day. I was talking to DD and she asked why I didn't just go run? When I explained and showed her, she laughed and said "well, least you can walk". Yup.... I can walk. :smile:

I'm gonna have to have someone sit in my nice warm heated seats to see if one side of the *kitten* isn't working or if its my dead *kitten* nerve... Haha!

0/30 running miles
    3.97 walking miles

Advisable races:
    I think I'm putting races on hold...

Well, Alex is off. I cleaned the living room and did his laundry. I try no to linger in his room too long. I shut his door, so it's like he's in there watching Netflix. Haha!

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 - Nap
    Jan 2 - Nap/4 mile run/.8 walk/ 20 min strength

Goal: Run 50 miles I guess?

Strength later, after dinner. First, shower.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @greenolivetree Ya, I can see chronic issues wearing on anyone. I'll chat with my PCP Thursday. Nice thing is, that if he's on board, there's a few that double for nerve pain. :wink:
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I fell out of the running habit a couple of years ago, but am going to give it another go. I do a lot of weightlifting these days but need to improve my cardio fitness!! So I'll set a conservative goal of 25 miles to start and see how things go....
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated right now. I woke up Saturday feeling like I got hit by a truck. I had zero energy so I rested. Sunday I felt better so I was planning to run today and keep on schedule. I woke up this morning and again felt like a truck hit me. My energy is zero and it seems some of the congestion has moved to my lungs. I sound like a 14-year-old boy when I talk & have to cough a bit. So I am resting again today.

So, my anxiety is creeping in about my marathon on the 15th. I had hoped to taper strong but have now missed my 10 miles on Saturday plus today's run. I hope this congestion clears up & I can do my last 6 mile run next weekend.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Setting goal for 155 again, but I'm not sure how the HM in 2 weeks is gonna affect that.

Actually - gonna have to up my monthly goals to 168.08/avg to make the 2017 I want to set as a yearly goal.

So 169 for the month.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Setting goal for 155 again, but I'm not sure how the HM in 2 weeks is gonna affect that.

Actually - gonna have to up my monthly goals to 168.08/avg to make the 2017 I want to set as a yearly goal.

So 169 for the month.

Nice goal! I thought about going for 2017, but I'm too worried about my marathon to make a year goal. Maybe after June I'll reassess and see what to do.

You got this!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nice 17miles yesterday, was so quite and no one around, plus I tried some hand warmers and they worked for a bit

I struggle to have my bpm in zone 4, whatever I do it looks like I'm always below 135-130bpm

It's a wonderful feeling being outside working out when the rest of the world is in bed!

Today I rode for about 25 miles, and tomorrow I plan my usual "late" recovery run. Not looking for Wednesday, when I'll wear both clip shoes for the first time

I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks - anyone knows if running there is ok?

• Elise4270
    edited January 2017
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Nice 17miles yesterday, was so quite and no one around, plus I tried some hand warmers and they worked for a bit

I struggle to have my bpm in zone 4, whatever I do it looks like I'm always below 135-130bpm

It's a wonderful feeling being outside working out when the rest of the world is in bed!

Today I rode for about 25 miles, and tomorrow I plan my usual "late" recovery run. Not looking for Wednesday, when I'll wear both clip shoes for the first time

I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks - anyone knows if running there is ok?

There was a runner stationed in Japan. @ACSL3 But honestly it could have been exclusively on the Naval Base. Good luck!
  • 9voice9
    Options
    Goal: 20 miles a week

back to the C25K for me! I used to run, and then got really into cycling, and then I got hit by a car, and then it was a year of recovery, and now its been about 6 months of not taking care of myself.. Happy New Year!

Welcome! Taking care of yourself is a good thing. And this group is here to help push you, and console you, and encourage you as you do that.
  • 9voice9
    Options
    k80flec wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    To be fair, the age group in local races got a lot less competitive after I turned 60.
    I fully endorse this ...... as an LV60 I do soooooo well with age category results :D:D
    Around here, things really get competitive around 50-54 and stay that way through about 70-74. I'm just a middling (at best) runner, so I rarely get anything unless I REALLY push, and I don't usually. :wink: