Replies

• k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Jan: 45 miles running.

exercise.png

1st: 3.88 miles, Park Run - MTD 3.88
    2nd: 5 miles, Wk11:D2 C210k, Pilates - MTD 8.88
    3rd: 3.39 miles, club run helping to lead the back to running group - MTD 12.27
    4th: 0 miles, Pilates and Strength training - MTD 12.27
    5th: 3.43 miles club speed training, including hill bleeps and whistle tag! - MTD 15.7
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for the link to the treadmill info., it was very helpful and made me feel more comfortable with running on a treadmill when I don't want to run outdoors. Thank you to everyone for your insight on running on an indoor track, sounds a little more dangerous than I thought!

There are so many posts its hard to keep up but I wanted to thank everyone who posted the links for stretching, yoga and running in the cold as well. These days I feel like a sponge trying to soak up as much information on running as I can, so keep it coming...

Date Km Today - Km for Jan.
    1/3 5.73 - 5.73
    1/5 3.79 - 9.52
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Ottawa Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge:

1/1: 19 miles
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: BodyPump and 30 minutes of stair stepper
    1/4: 5.8 miles of a 10 mile planned run. Cut short due to knee pain

Goal: 29.8 of 170

I had to stop my run short last night. :( Since Saturday, I've had a few twinges in my right knee behind my knee cap, but they've only lasted a few seconds here and there. Last night, I had 2 episodes of these twinges that didn't last long, but then I had strong pain in my knee that made me come to a stop and hobble home. Practicing RICE now. I think I have Runner’s knee based on location of pain. Just frustrated to be sidelined again, but if it is Runner’s Knee, it sounds like I should be able to run soon. So, trying to figure what I can do for exercise tonight. I'm thinking about an upper body P90X3 video and maybe some yoga. Tomorrow is already a planned rest day.

@skippygirlsmom That sunrise pic was so pretty!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @beeerunner thanks. I used to have this great view over my fence to the sun coming up then my neighbor put up to 2 sheds in their yard, okay so I can move a little to take the picture, then they put up a 40 x 30 foot 2 story garage. Really? I'm standing on the deck of my pool trying not to get the roof in my picture.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Heading to the gym for my strength training session but wanted to get this update posted. Had a good wet run in the rain this morning. Work is crazy and I am off to my daughter's in Seattle tomorrow for the weekend and to Atlanta from there on Sunday for client meetings Monday and Tuesday. Hoping I can fit in some running along the way - my clothes and shoes (running) are ready to go even if my suit and other stuff still needs to be packed :)
    I will get caught up on everyone - maybe tonight - I am pages behind again though...

Date........Miles........Total
    01/01......0.00........0.00
    01/02......4.58........4.58 - + Agility
    01/03......4.28........8.86 - + Strength Training
    01/04......0.00........8.86
    01/05......4.39......13.25 - + Strength Training

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yesterday and today I've picked up my son from school because it's freezing cold, we live a mile away, and I'm too nice to make him walk :* Yesterday 2 girls were running and today 2 boys. One of the boys not even wearing a hat or earmuffs or gloves with single digit windchill with 14mph wind. Holy cow! My hands are freezing IN MY CAR!

Oh boy... my hands get cold before anything else it seems. Although just an hour ago, I came back from a short run and realized as I took off by shirt that I was sweating terribly. In sub-zero wind chill. I had bundled up too much, I guess. At least my fingers were not cold.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @shanaber I hope you can get to Atlanta on Sunday. They are supposed to get snow, they don't do well with snow.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - good luck with your 10 km on the weekend!

Sorry, I'm not caught up with everyone, but welcome the late comers! (I started late, too).

I made it out for an early morning run before work! This is an achievement for me, because I have been finding it impossibly hard to get out of bed to run in the morning, but this morning was easy. Maybe I have finally caught up on my sleep. And as I am in Australia, I don't even have the cold weather to contend with that many of you are struggling with; quite the opposite. This morning it was quite a balmy 24 C, with 83% humidity. It was quite overcast, so it was a comfortable run.

A very slow 5 km, but that's ok. I know it will take a while to get my fitness back, considering how little running I have done since my marathon in July. My target of 100 km this month may be a little ambitious at the rate I am going, but we'll see. Still a whole 25 days to go until the end of the month!

1 Jan: rest
    2 Jan: rest
    3 Jan: rest
    4 Jan: 5 km
    5 Jan: rest
    6 Jan: 5 km

Total: 10 km / 100 km

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2

Run group workout tonight was downgraded to just a base run due to snowy conditions. It was very pretty out but the footing was not good, so the coach didn't want us to run hard. So we had a nice group run in the winter wonderland. We still got credit for showing up :)

Tomorrow is a rest day, but I may try to get some snow shoeing or cross-country skiing in since we are having this nice snowfall.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Just found out the marathon I'm hoping to do as my first full will not have any pace runners and headphones/earbuds not allowed, (I normally get pace announcements from my phone).

Anyway, that means I'm in the market for a cheap gps running watch - all I want is something with GPS, that can track runs independently of my phone, can connect to HR strap (or has inbuilt HR) and can get the data out and into one of the popular platforms (garmin/strava etc). As I say main criteria is cheap - preferably around or even under £100 (GBP).

I'm familiar with Garmin products/data from my cycling days so my fallback position is something like the Forerunner 25, but don't really know what else is worth considering at this price point - anyone have particular favourites amongst the budget ranges?

Edit: FYI - I am going to stalk the local second-hand forums so hoping something may pop up there.

Second hand is good if you are budget limited. Also think last generation models. I don't know much about the lower end models, but the 620 was a great high end watch when it was new. It's still the same great watch, but since the 630 came out it's a lot cheaper. I believe models that end in "5" do optical HR from the wrist, while models that end in "0" pair to chest-strap monitors; so if you find a deal on a 220 or 620, be sure you know whether it has a HR monitor included.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, @michable !

Yes, Summer is here. It'll be a warm parkrun tomorrow.

I'll be volunteering as a marshal...

shooting a water pistol at the parkrunners. :smiley:
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.17 - 15 m. LR
    01.02.17 - 10 m.
    01.03.17 - 9.1 m. 6 M + 5K.
    01.05.17 - 9 m. TM w/ incline.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals
    1/4 – 5.01 easy
    1/5 – 5.99 warmup, speed work, cool down

January total to date – 32.09

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – The training plan called for 1 x 800 at T, 2 x 1600 at T, 1 x 800 at T, and 2 laps striding the straights. But I raced 7.5 miles Sunday, and I have a half marathon in 2 days. Clearly, I needed to tone that down. Talked to Coach, and he said do 4 x 1000 at T. So that's what I did. I ran the traditional 2 mile warmup first, and at the end of the intervals I felt so good I just kept going for another mile to cool down.

I notice that I'm much better prepared mentally for speed work on a small indoor track than I was at this time last year. After 3 months of doing this a year ago, I have a bunch of mental games for coping with the small circuit. Because it's soft, smooth, and level, it becomes a game to target a precise pace. Today I was trying to run 200m laps at 49 to 50 seconds, which would make the target for my 1000 m intervals 4:05 to 4:10. That first lap came in pretty consistently at 47 seconds, every interval; then I was trying to keep each subsequent lap at 49 or 50. How did I do? The 1000 m intervals came in at 4:02, 4:04, 4:05, and 4:03. Close enough to target, and nicely consistent from one interval to the next. I wouldn't have thought so a year ago, but this is an easy speed workout to run two days before a race.

Then this evening there were posts on the FB group for the Fleet Feet training program where I pace long runs. The assignment today for half marathon trainees targeting Winter Warrior was an easy 3 miles followed by a group Happy Hour. I offer this example to the MFP group to illustrate different training plans for different purposes.

The Fleet Feet program is taking people who have run 5K and perhaps 10K races, and training them to complete the half marathon distance. The program bears some similarity to traditional marathon training, building up mileage, having cut back weeks, and having a taper before the race. It's designed to have the trainees peak out on race day.

I'm in the early weeks of a Boston training program. This program assumes a much more robust mileage base than the FF program does. It gets adapted for races I might want to run between now and Patriots' Day, such as Winter Warrior and the USATF Cross Country Championships in Bend, Oregon. And I have a coach who has a lot of experience training athletes toward multiple goal races in varying patterns on the calendar. So I've got a minor adjustment to speed work in a week that is building mileage, because I happen to be running a half marathon on Saturday.

I wouldn't want someone running their first half marathon to run 4 x 1000 m intervals two days before the race. But for the club I run with, it is truly a lighter workout to tune up for the race. The difference is between training for running the half marathon distance the first time, and fitting a half into a marathon training plan with the assumption that the half marathon distance is a given.

Three years ago, when I was training for my first half marathon, 4 x 1000 m intervals would have been totally inappropriate for the week before the race. Now, it fits right in and feels relaxing.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I have a busy weekend coming up, so I needed to get my long run in tonight. Rocked out 7.06 miles on the treadmill. Thank goodness I have a show I'm enjoying on Netflix or I'd go crazy being on the treadmill that long!

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    I love living in the south, we might get up to 1" of snow tomorrow and the schools and businesses are closing. Skip's meet for Saturday was cancelled, which sucks because she's running out of meets to qualify for State. Her missing the first 2 meets is coming back to bite us.

I know you all up North are cracking up about our snow storm weather. The first year we lived here the kids were all excited about the blizzard, Skip was like what I don't even see snow. The flurries were so little and it was like for 5 minutes.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm freaking out about windchill of 2F in the morning. The best it will get all day is 12. Last Jan/Feb was my first winter running and I enjoyed temps around freezing and even a few 19F runs. But I never ran with a windchill of 2 :|
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe For that budget here in the U.K., I wouldn't look at a Garmin. The TomTom Runner watches do everything a Garmin does, only much cheaper. I think they are on to model 3 now, so if you look online for model 2 then I bet you could pick one up for £50. I love mine, I'm so glad I didn't waste money on a Garmin (they are just SO expensive here!)

@skippygirlsmom The response to a bit of snow is the same here in London. We just don't have the infrastructure to cope with it! I hope Skip gets a chance to qualify for state soon though.

@Orphia I bet marshalling in the summer is great fun. I did it in the late autumn and it was cooooold.

I didn't run yesterday, I slightly tweaked my hamstring when physically restraining a child (the joys of special ed teaching :grimace:), but I'll try to get out there tonight. I can feel a cold coming on too, so I might even try to get my long run done in case I need to rest up over the weekend, but I'll see how I feel after work/what my workload looks like.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post my monthly challenge goal. After failing to meet my goal 2 months in a row, I am staying with the 50 mile goal for this month and at least one in outside per week.

1/1......rest day Happy New Year!
    1/2......6 miles...pace 12:30.
    1/3.....work
    1/4.....Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Classical stretch
    1/5......3.72 miles on treadmill @ 12:14 pace, average heart rate at 88% max.

Really cold today....temp dropped to 8 degrees. It snowed last night, but snow was so powdery that I just used a large broom and swept the snow off the driveway.Fingers became numb. Decided to run on the treadmill but had to step in the sauna to defrost my fingers. Noted that after my workout, it didn't seem so cold.

Total...9.72 miles
    Goal...50 miles.

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune, but I had such a rotten day at work and was reading these posts to unwind. I burst our laughing at the rental car getting totalled. The whole scene you described reminded me of a Marx brother movie. So glad that no one got hurt.

Then I read @7lenny7 's post regarding facial exercises....I laughed so hard and had to show my husband...he researched it and you can purchase that appliance for $221.

You guys are the greatest!!!!!!!!